IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Wheeler to the Phillies for 5/118.   He's got the stuff to be a number 1 or high end number 2 but that just seems like a lot of money to commit to a guy that has had alot of injuries and only has put together 1 great season. 

Plus as good as his stuff is it hasn't translated to a ton of k's.  By today's standards his k rate is nothing special.  Oh well I guess the Phillies can afford him. 

Edit: Nightengale says that the White Sox actually had a higher offer for him but he spurned them for the Phillies. 

37 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Would the tigers win the international league? 

They would be one of the teams being dropped from the minors.  

• Haha 1

“We’re going to have a system where a player comes in, let’s say, at the rookie level. We’ll have a system in place for that player until he leaves the organization,” Avila said. “There will be a systematic process in his development.”

Avila said the process “doesn’t guarantee you’re going to develop every player,” but it will ensure the Tigers don’t miss any chances along the way.

Let’s say a player is going through a rough stretch in Double-A. Ideally, the Tigers will be able to quickly consult their library of data -- video, testing technology and hands-on observation -- to find a solution. Has a batter changed his swing plane? Is he suddenly struggling with inside pitches? Why has a pitcher lost velocity? Why is one pitch working better or worse than usual as of late?

“Starting with the rookie level, there’s all this the technology that we put on him. Then we take that to the next level and the next level. So there will be a history there. If the player all of a sudden has some failure, we can go back and look to see what made him successful,” Avila said.

Graham will work with coaches at all levels to make sure the message is consistent and a player’s progress is managed methodically.

“There’s a series of things, and it involves the use of technology, the use of analytics, to help our coaching staff make that player better. Kenny Graham has set up that kind of system already in Milwaukee and also did a great job in Toronto. He’s got a lot of experience in that area. Systemically the entire organization will be under that process. His first order of business is going to be in that area, with a focus on the hitting part. Dan Hubbs will take it from the pitching perspective."

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/12/we-document-everything-tigers-gm-on-new-data-driven-player-development-system.html

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Weren't those under Mike Illitch's ownership ..and not Chris's?

Same front office.

27 minutes ago, kdog said:

“We’re going to have a system where a player comes in, let’s say, at the rookie level. We’ll have a system in place for that player until he leaves the organization,” Avila said. “There will be a systematic process in his development.”

Avila said the process “doesn’t guarantee you’re going to develop every player,” but it will ensure the Tigers don’t miss any chances along the way.

Let’s say a player is going through a rough stretch in Double-A. Ideally, the Tigers will be able to quickly consult their library of data -- video, testing technology and hands-on observation -- to find a solution. Has a batter changed his swing plane? Is he suddenly struggling with inside pitches? Why has a pitcher lost velocity? Why is one pitch working better or worse than usual as of late?

“Starting with the rookie level, there’s all this the technology that we put on him. Then we take that to the next level and the next level. So there will be a history there. If the player all of a sudden has some failure, we can go back and look to see what made him successful,” Avila said.

Graham will work with coaches at all levels to make sure the message is consistent and a player’s progress is managed methodically.

“There’s a series of things, and it involves the use of technology, the use of analytics, to help our coaching staff make that player better. Kenny Graham has set up that kind of system already in Milwaukee and also did a great job in Toronto. He’s got a lot of experience in that area. Systemically the entire organization will be under that process. His first order of business is going to be in that area, with a focus on the hitting part. Dan Hubbs will take it from the pitching perspective."

[UnQuote]

That sounds eerily familiar to what Al Avila said shortly after being named the Tigers new General Manager .. when he explained the Tigers were going to produce and implement a "Tigers Way" manual.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Same front office.

Different owner. 

Different philosophy.

Mike I spent money wildly in attempt to win a World Championship.

Chris I will not spend wildly like that because he has more time!

24 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

That sounds eerily familiar to what Al Avila said shortly after being named the Tigers new General Manager .. when he explained the Tigers were going to produce and implement a "Tigers Way" manual.

I bought a copy. Billy Chapel is on the cover

22 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Different owner. 

Different philosophy.

Mike I spent money wildly in attempt to win a World Championship.

Chris I will not spend wildly like that because he has more time!

My point was not whether this owner will allow a 2-year deal like the previous owner did. I know he won't. My point was that, in response to someone who suggested we sign one of the non-tenders to a 2-year deal, the people running this front office don't have a stellar track record signing guys to 2-year deals.

Here's a fun little article about Dario Agrazal, whom we acquired from the Pirates for cash.

The upshot is while he is a pitch-to-contact guy with one of the lowest strikeout rates in the majors, he has a serviceable sinker that moves in on right handers and dampens exit velocity, which could be a good skill if he can harness it on a regular basis. This is a good flier for the Tigers to take.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Here's a fun little article about Dario Agrazal, whom we acquired from the Pirates for cash.

... The upshot is while he is a pitch-to-contact guy with one of the lowest strikeout rates in the majors, he has a serviceable sinker that moves in on right handers and dampens exit velocity, which could be a good skill if he can harness it on a regular basis. This is a good flier for the Tigers to take.

How's his changeup?

Dave Littlefield is now squarely in my cross-hairs, the Vice President of Player Development.  It's hilarious that the Tigers have a job title like that in their organization.  Based on his record of developing players, wouldn't he just do the right thing and resign?  Name a player that the Tigers have developed since Littlefield has been on the payroll.  Name one.  If I bought the team today, he'd be gone today.  Avila might be gone next week, but Littlefield would be gone today.  Along with that other guy, who is so important to the team's success that his name escapes me for the moment, who has been running the draft for all these years.  Both of them, gone, day 1.

I want someone to buy the Tigers who makes it plain that planning for 5 years of abject failure will not be tolerated, and that a winning team is never more than 2 years away.  I'm not even sure what year we're on anymore.

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Dave Littlefield is now squarely in my cross-hairs, the Vice President of Player Development.  It's hilarious that the Tigers have a job title like that in their organization.  Based on his record of developing players, wouldn't he just do the right thing and resign?  Name a player that the Tigers have developed since Littlefield has been on the payroll.  Name one.  If I bought the team today, he'd be gone today.  Avila might be gone next week, but Littlefield would be gone today.  Along with that other guy, who is so important to the team's success that his name escapes me for the moment, who has been running the draft for all these years.  Both of them, gone, day 1.

I want someone to buy the Tigers who makes it plain that planning for 5 years of abject failure will not be tolerated, and that a winning team is never more than 2 years away.  I'm not even sure what year we're on anymore.

Are you talking about Paws?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

FWIW, there has been a noticeable, and favorable change in approach in the last two drafts. Not sure about player development, but they are making an effort, and applying resources there.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Get behind me on the fire Paws train.

That mascot has been mailing it in for years.  YEARS!

We will call it the MenoPaws Train!

15 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Last winter during the caravan I asked Gardy about the Tigers Way manual and if they saw any positive gains over the past summer from it. He looked at me like I was stupid and said that there has always been the Tigers way and there was no new 'manual'.

The Detroit Tigers received a nice early Christmas gift this week, landing the 69th overall pick in the 2020 MLB Draft.

The pick — sandwiched between the end of the second round and beginning of the third round — is the first-ever competitive balance pick awarded to the organization.

The collective bargaining agreement between Major League Baseball and the players’ association has been awarding competitive balance picks to low revenue and small market teams since 2012; a CBA amendment in 2017 determined eligibility by the 10 lowest-revenue teams and the 10 teams playing in the smallest markets.

While denying it publicly, the Mets have spent at least the past year looking behind the scenes for a whale seeking to buy a majority stake. Saul Katz — Fred Wilpon’s brother-in-law, real estate partner and part-owner of the Mets — has been wanting to divest, sources say. His children are said not to be gung-ho about having Jeff Wilpon lead the franchise into the future. It led to recognition that a messy succession was coming in which the family might splinter enough to lose control of the team.

So the Wilpons have quietly been shopping for a financial windfall and a window to keep running the team, a combination that scared off most who contemplated a purchase. But Cohen apparently wants the Mets way more than, say, the Yankees even want Gerrit Cole. And so he overpaid and agreed to have the Wilpons for five more years.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/steve-cohen-is-mets-godsend-that-should-bother-the-yankees/

Something to look for if/when the Tigers have to deal with a succession plan and inheritance tax issues.

38 minutes ago, kdog said:

I don’t know who wrote that but it’s not true that this is tigers first comp balance pick. They received one about 10 years ago, back when they were good and drawing a lot of fans. It didn’t make a lot of sense at the time, but it was because the tigers were able to deduct stadium loan payments to lower their net revenue number. I think we ended up trading the pick. It may have the trade for anibal but I don’t remember exactly.  

Or this hypothetical trade from jim bowden:

Detroit Tigers

Trade left-handed pitcher Matthew Boyd to the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for outfielder Teoscar Hernández and catcher Gabriel Moreno. The Tigers need to improve their offense at all levels and Hernández has tremendous raw power and could be primed for his break-out year in 2020. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t know who wrote that but it’s not true that this is tigers first comp balance pick. They received one about 10 years ago, back when they were good and drawing a lot of fans. It didn’t make a lot of sense at the time, but it was because the tigers were able to deduct stadium loan payments to lower their net revenue number. I think we ended up trading the pick. It may have the trade for anibal but I don’t remember exactly.  

Fenech