IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I saw that announcement, and the light that it shone on this guy Dave Littlefield, who has the rather embarrassing title of Vice President, Player Development.  The last player developed was Granderson, right?  

I'd say Suarez. Before that Castellanos. Adames was mostly developed by Tampa

I wish AA would go after some of these high end non-tenders an tell them straight up to rebuild their value. "Look, we are going to suck. But if YOU do good, this will get you  paid and increases YOUR chances to go to the world series. If you don't totally blow, I'll trade you to a contending team for peanuts if need be....". 

Al should say that to Hernandez, Cron, Taijuan Walker, Addison Russel..... maybe a few more but you get the just. It takes some of the crapshoot out of which team will give the best chance at a WS run.... 

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

Yes, then they can start supplementing at third base, middle infield, catcher, center fielder, and left field...

It seems kind of early to bury CastroW.

17 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

again, Chris does not want to take on this much money and Al is not smart enough to pull this off but

the Mets, acting like a small market NBA team, want to move Lowrie and Familia's deals by attaching Dom Smith, who is blocked

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/mets-reportedly-looking-to-move-bad-contracts.html

And Jed Lowrie's thoughts on being traded to Detroit:

image.png.0672ff8be4420cb7ba68c9a2d7ae2ac2.png

Doesn't seem pleased.

6 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I wish AA would go after some of these high end non-tenders an tell them straight up to rebuild their value. "Look, we are going to suck. But if YOU do good, this will get you  paid and increases YOUR chances to go to the world series. If you don't totally blow, I'll trade you to a contending team for peanuts if need be....". 

Al should say that to Hernandez, Cron, Taijuan Walker, Addison Russel..... maybe a few more but you get the just. It takes some of the crapshoot out of which team will give the best chance at a WS run.... 

Al doesn't need to say it to them, they've been around professional ball long enough to know the drill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shelton said:

All of this talk about which recently nontendered guy could be signed is pointless.  

Everything is pointless man.  We are all going to die some day.  If talking about Rule 5 and nontenders can a bring a little joy into our hopeless lives, why not?

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Everything is pointless man.  We are all going to die some day.  If talking about Rule 5 and nontenders can a bring a little joy into our hopeless lives, why not?

We need to figure out a way to make sure Shelton's tombstone has Roman numerals on it.

16 hours ago, cmu97 said:

55 year-old baseball lifer Tom Prince was just named manager of Toledo. Jim price will like the hire, but does anyone else? 

Seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. 

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/12/tigers-hire-tom-prince-to-manage-prospect-laden-mud-hens-in-2020.html

I would have liked them to hire someone with a fresh approach that could offer new ideas; Prince could be that guy.

They also might have Rabelo lined up and don't want anyone significant in the way; Prince could be that guy.

18 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Tigers guaranteed some 20 million dollars to Matt Moore, Tyson Ross, Harrison and Mercer last year even though they could've just kept those positions in house for a fraction of the price.   That's something Penny pinching teams don't do.

I don't doubt for a second that they will spend money when they feel it makes sense to, not to the extent that Mike did but I don't think they will shy away from signing mid to upper tier free agents all together. 

Let's hope that when they do spend money, they do a better job at evaluating talent than they did with those 4.  

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Has this front office ever done a 2 year free agent deal?

Yes, all prior to the 2016 season.

Jordan Zimmermann - 5 years

Mike Pelfrey - 2 years

Mark Lowe - 2 years

Justin Upton - 6 years

All signings after that year were 1-year deals. 

17 hours ago, cmu97 said:

55 year-old baseball lifer Tom Prince was just named manager of Toledo. Jim price will like the hire, but does anyone else? 

Seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. 

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/12/tigers-hire-tom-prince-to-manage-prospect-laden-mud-hens-in-2020.html

Two things that leapt out from the article:

“When the search for a Triple A manager began, we prioritized finding someone with experience in developing high-level talent and creating a winning culture,” Littlefield said in the release. “It was clear from the beginning that Tom Prince fit that mold perfectly, and we’re thrilled to have him lead our staff in Toledo.”

The Pirates are 226-259 in Prince's three years as Pirate bench coach, including 69-93 this past season.

And:

Prince has ties to Tigers vice president of player development Dave Littlefield, who was Pirates GM when Prince began his coaching career in 2004.

The Devil He Knows. But of course.

It's all about the safe choice...

"Who's the best guy we can get and not spend a lot of money?"

"And who won't get lippy when we want him to promote a player he thinks isn't ready?"

• Like 1

Does anyone have a baseball america account to read the article on Campos and the other Tigers international guys?

9 minutes ago, kdog said:

Does anyone have a baseball america account to read the article on Campos and the other Tigers international guys?

You mean the top ten prospects in the November issue? Campos does not appear on the list.

Ah OK. I get access only through my library and that's only for the hard copies, not the website.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Two things that leapt out from the article:

“When the search for a Triple A manager began, we prioritized finding someone with experience in developing high-level talent and creating a winning culture,” Littlefield said in the release. “It was clear from the beginning that Tom Prince fit that mold perfectly, and we’re thrilled to have him lead our staff in Toledo.”

The Pirates are 226-259 in Prince's three years as Pirate bench coach, including 69-93 this past season.

And:

Prince has ties to Tigers vice president of player development Dave Littlefield, who was Pirates GM when Prince began his coaching career in 2004.

I was puzzled by that article too.  Specifically, ..which "high-level talent" and which "winning culture" was Prince responsible for?

Additionally .. another former "Pirate" suggests a 'Jim Leyland' involvement.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Yes, all prior to the 2016 season.

Jordan Zimmermann - 5 years

Mike Pelfrey - 2 years

Mark Lowe - 2 years

Justin Upton - 6 years

All signings after that year were 1-year deals. 

Weren't those under Mike Illitch's ownership ..and not Chris's?

Assess this hypothetical trade:

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truemin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Detroit Tigers trade LHP Matthew Boyd and RHP Buck Farmer to the Minnesota Twins for OF Trevor Larnach, LHP Lewis Thorpe and RHP Zack Littell

There are good reasons not to trade Boyd: He's still under team control for three more seasons, he's coming off a season in which he fanned 238 batters in 185⅓ innings and lord knows the Tigers need somebody on the big league team who doesn't actually belong in Toledo. There also are good reasons to trade Boyd, namely that the Tigers may not be good again for another half century decade.

The Twins did have Jake Odorizzi accept their qualifying offer, but Kyle Gibson signed with the Rangers and Michael Pineda is a free agent, so that's 55 starts they have to replace. The Tigers get a bat-first outfield prospect in Larnach and a 2020 rotation candidate in Thorpe, plus a starter/reliever type in Littell.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28211999/one-blockbuster-move-all-30-mlb-teams

23 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Weren't those under Mike Illitch's ownership ..and not Chris's?

I assumed he meant since Al Avila took over.  If he meant since Mike Ilitch died...then no multi-year deals.