IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The outrage is always lessened when the guy goes to his second team after the incident.

But if there were multiple options with everything being equal, I would avoid him. Sure, it may have been an isolated incident,  but what if it wasn't? Does he have rage issues? I really don't know the facts but I can see some teams shying away from him.

1 hour ago, JackPine said:

The real question is, will the Tigers break from their penny pinching ways enough to sign any of these guys? No doubt they could add some talent to the team

Two things, it's silly just to spend to get to 72 wins.

There is a reason why many of thse guys were just let go.

Regardless, the costs are likely to be low and they are going to hit on lottery tickets to get to where we want to go, so collect as many tickets as possible, I'd say.

To the degree they can collect non tendered talent cheap, such as on minor league contracts, that’s what I’d expect to see. I can’t envision them throwing $5 million at a bat, let alone $10 million or more, nor do I see them throwing years at anyone. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

But if there were multiple options with everything being equal, I would avoid him. Sure, it may have been an isolated incident,  but what if it wasn't? Does he have rage issues? I really don't know the facts but I can see some teams shying away from him.

There have been reports that he has not been serious about his craft as well, but I always  take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt once a guy is already in trouble for something else. Maybe it's true, maybe it's media piling on. You'd hope a front office has more access to those kinds of facts than us fans.

Zack wheeler rumored to have a 9 figure contract offer out there, that seems like a giant risk for a guy with a limited track record and injury history.

He certainly has the stuff and potential to be worth that but that looks like a contract that could easily blow up in a teams face but then again I guess you can say that about any pitcher ie Zimmermann.

21 hours ago, tiger337 said:

dumberandleaner, if you don't like it here, then leave.  MTS! MTS! MTS! MTS! MTS!

Thank you for reminding me of that option. I'd say at this point that it's not so much a matter of "not liking it here" as it is just friction with a handful of.....loud...personalities. (I'm being charitable with my wording)

Not being willing to be intimidated really is not one and the same with "not liking it here"...is it?

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Theo did a good job of threading the needle with him and was still criticized 

not sure Al could manage it correctly 

it would help everyone forget about the Chris Bosio fiasco, though.

5 hours ago, JackPine said:

The real question is, will the Tigers break from their penny pinching ways enough to sign any of these guys? No doubt they could add some talent to the team

The Tigers guaranteed some 20 million dollars to Matt Moore, Tyson Ross, Harrison and Mercer last year even though they could've just kept those positions in house for a fraction of the price.   That's something Penny pinching teams don't do.

I don't doubt for a second that they will spend money when they feel it makes sense to, not to the extent that Mike did but I don't think they will shy away from signing mid to upper tier free agents all together. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Tigers guaranteed some 20 million dollars to Matt Moore, Tyson Ross, Harrison and Mercer last year even though they could've just kept those positions in house for a fraction of the price.   That's something Penny pinching teams don't do.

I don't doubt for a second that they will spend money when they feel it makes sense to, not to the extent that Mike did but I don't think they will shy away from signing mid to upper tier free agents all together. 

I think this is right.  For better or worse, they are sticking to their plan--they said they would start to spend when the blue chips start to materialize, which probably won't be towards the back half of next season.  I'm optimistically confident that next offseason they will be a bit more aggressive and will have a better idea of what they have in Candelario, W. Castro, J. Rogers, J. Jones, C. Stewart, etc... and will supplement where needed.

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Thank you for reminding me of that option. I'd say at this point that it's not so much a matter of "not liking it here" as it is just friction with a handful of.....loud...personalities. (I'm being charitable with my wording)

Not being willing to be intimidated really is not one and the same with "not liking it here"...is it?

Do you think people here are trying to intimidate you?  

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think this is right.  For better or worse, they are sticking to their plan--they said they would start to spend when the blue chips start to materialize, which probably won't be towards the back half of next season.  I'm optimistically confident that next offseason they will be a bit more aggressive and will have a better idea of what they have in Candelario, W. Castro, J. Rogers, J. Jones, C. Stewart, etc... and will supplement where needed.

There is no hope

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

again, Chris does not want to take on this much money and Al is not smart enough to pull this off but

the Mets, acting like a small market NBA team, want to move Lowrie and Familia's deals by attaching Dom Smith, who is blocked

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/mets-reportedly-looking-to-move-bad-contracts.html

I sent Jason Beck this EXACT Question if the Tigers could do this! We have the room. This would be a fantastic deal to do. If Familia does anything productive, we could flip him for a B level prospect (have two years to do this) and Lowrie is done after this year. To do all this and get a decent prospect when we have such a low payroll anyway is a no brainer. I just saw this too on MTR and thought this is EXACTLY what Al should be looking to capitalize on. I literally posed this question on Jason Becks twitter two weeks ago....... God's trying to intervene to help the Tigers.... 

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I sent Jason Beck this EXACT Question if the Tigers could do this! We have the room. This would be a fantastic deal to do. If Familia does anything productive, we could flip him for a B level prospect (have two years to do this) and Lowrie is done after this year. To do all this and get a decent prospect when we have such a low payroll anyway is a no brainer. I just saw this too on MTR and thought this is EXACTLY what Al should be looking to capitalize on. I literally posed this question on Jason Becks twitter two weeks ago....... God's trying to intervene to help the Tigers.... 

it won't happen but...

what prospects do the Tigers need to get to take on $31M in salary for 2 guys who will likely give them little production for their 3 combined seasons?

Turnbull for Smith, Gimenez, Familia and Lowrie?

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

There is no hope

If that is the plan, and this is the Owner/GM, I agree there is no hope.  Not for the short or long term. 

With a good owner/GM/organization with the ability to develop talent above the curve they could tank for another season, get another top-5 pick in addition to the one coming up soon, and eek their way towards 80 wins and then spend their way to 90 wins and playoff contention after another 4 or 5 seasons, but definitely not gonna happen with this clown show of an organization.

8 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

If that is the plan, and this is the Owner/GM, I agree there is no hope.  Not for the short or long term. 

With a good owner/GM/organization with the ability to develop talent above the curve they could tank for another season, get another top-5 pick in addition to the one coming up soon, and eek their way towards 80 wins and then spend their way to 90 wins and playoff contention after another 4 or 5 seasons, but definitely not gonna happen with this clown show of an organization.

Nah, it doesn’t matter. They are so far away that you can’t even make any sort of plan and doesn’t matter who signs the checks. You just have to wait it out for years and see which weird confluence of events will result in a real team.

All of this talk about which recently nontendered guy could be signed is pointless.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes, then they can start supplementing at third base, middle infield, catcher, center fielder, and left field...

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

This front office's recent track record on 2-year free agent deals to is not exactly stellar.

Has this front office ever done a 2 year free agent deal?

6 hours ago, cmu97 said:

55 year-old baseball lifer Tom Prince was just named manager of Toledo. Jim price will like the hire, but does anyone else? 

Seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. 

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/12/tigers-hire-tom-prince-to-manage-prospect-laden-mud-hens-in-2020.html

I saw that announcement, and the light that it shone on this guy Dave Littlefield, who has the rather embarrassing title of Vice President, Player Development.  The last player developed was Granderson, right?  

4 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I saw that announcement, and the light that it shone on this guy Dave Littlefield, who has the rather embarrassing title of Vice President, Player Development.  The last player developed was Granderson, right?  

I'd say Suarez. Before that Castellanos. Adames was mostly developed by Tampa