IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

I don't discuss politics....I might if someone were to say "yeah...you're right my stance on that issue is imbecilic" but that never happens, so I don't engage people on the topic.

Re offensive language...if someone offends you and you mention it....  If they sincerely apologize, I think it's incumbent upon you to say "no harm no foul" and thank them for the apology.

Too many people hang onto their indignation these days.

24 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I don't discuss politics....I might if someone were to say "yeah...you're right my stance on that issue is imbecilic" but that never happens, so I don't engage people on the topic.

Not talking about politics is a good move on your part.  It never leads to anything good.  

On 11/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, chasfh said:

Contenders don’t put guys like Villar at middle infield every day. The Orioles been trying desperately to trade him but can’t find any takers, which says something. He’s poor defensively and he doesn’t hit consistently, even this season which, given he’s age 28, was likely less breakout and more fluke. He’s too below average for contenders and too expensive for scorched-earth tankers like the Tigers. I’m not sure where he ends up. Possibly San Diego, who have only a dim idea of how to build a winner. Or maybe Asia.

I agree with this. Bump away, one way or another, a year from now.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:00 PM, tiger337 said:

Not talking about politics is a good move on your part.  It never leads to anything good.  

FBF64576-44CD-4345-B176-D3EEC9A0B7D7.thumb.png.f14f1f614e1a6a24879925517ade1d6e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 2:20 PM, tiger337 said:

Fire sale and fire storm are usually not used to belittle people.  The term drinking the koolaid is used to tell someone they are stupid or naive.  Depending on your audience, it might be good natured ribbing or it could be bullying.  Know your audience.  I actually don't think the term is bad to use at MTS, but there are settings where I probably wouldn't use it.  

Well, I'm not made of clay, so in trying to be a more sensitive netizen, I will qualify all future use of the expression with an asterisk,  Just to assure that my intent is only in reference to the pre-1977 voluntary  drinking of the kool-aid*.  ?

I just hope I don't offend any Roger Maris fans in the process.

33 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Well, I'm not made of clay, so in trying to be a more sensitive netizen, I will qualify all future use of the expression with an asterisk,  Just to assure that my intent is only in reference to the pre-1977 voluntary  drinking of the kool-aid*.  ?

I just hope I don't offend any Roger Maris fans in the process.

Nobody told you that you couldn't say "koolaid" or had to qualify it.  One person said he didn't like the term and doesn't use it himself.  The whole "I hate political correctness crowd" is so delicate,  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Nobody told you that you couldn't say "koolaid" or had to qualify it.  One person said he didn't like the term and doesn't use it himself.  The whole "I hate political correctness crowd" is so delicate,  

Correction: one MODERATOR said he didn't like the term....there is a difference.

Subsequently, there was a flurry of supporting sentiment for potentially "offended" parties made by other members, ostensibly inspired by my post. 

Just being frank, until I read Oblong's objection I always used the expression "drink the kool-aid" * in a context of unwarranted or inexplicable enthusiasm.....hardly a context you would consider "bullying"

In contrast, much of the snark that flies around here,  is often (loosely) framed in a context of " anyone who dares disagree with me about xxx is an idiot"...that most definitely would qualify as a form of bullying. How much any particular member actually feels "bullied" by such behavior is likely determined by  how well the two parties involved know one another, and is so much a part of some members persona that I doubt that they see it as a problem...it's just the way they are/always have been.  But to any new member here, their perception  might vary......

But  I am glad we had the opportunity to discuss this here, thus avoiding the need to start a new thread and risk offending the content nazis.   ?

As diehard Tiger fans who post on an internet forum and still live in your parent's basements, I find you all offensive.

I’m just here to be the spark that lights the flame that engulfs the board in weeks of discussion about what is and isn’t offensive. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, DumberAndLeaner said:

In much the same vein of Oblong's complaint, many of the children in Waco were not given  the choice of escaping the firestorm that ultimately consumed them. Does that give me empowerment to insist that metaphoric employ of terms such as "fire sale" or "Firestorm"  are thoughtless or even willful attempts to trivialize the victims of Waco?

Dude, WTF are you talking about?

The fact you keep harping on something I completely forgot that I said last week or whatever says a lot more about you than it does me.  I never 'complained' or said I was 'offended'.  I simply said it's a term I no longer use out of respect for.... you know... children that were murdered.  

It's not a big deal but just something I don't do myself... if others do... fine, I don't care.  I didn't tell others they shouldn't, if you go back and read what I wrote instead of making **** up.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Sorry, I don't believe you when you say the term was used prior to Jonestown.  I've researched it myself in the past and couldn't find references to it.  All sources I found indicated it started to be used in reference to Jonestown and blind allegience... when in fact many had no choice in the matter.

Doesn't really surprise me, some evidently are just predetermined to see the negative side of any given situation.....or intent.

BTW, now you CAN BELIEVE ME,..... from a liberal source to boot:

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-drink-the-kool-aid.htm

I think that historically folks in my universe generally said "drink the kool-aid" in context with the Merry Pranksters use

And said "Don't drink the kool-aid"  in context with Jonestown. subtle but important difference.

I believe that some folks cling more tenaciously to opportunities to cast themselves as offended victims than others, likely because that is the best opportunity available to them. And this observation is not pointed at oblong, but at society in general. The media is rife with such occurrences. 

I get what people mean when they use the term.  My point was about the origin.  Once I realized the origin I stopped.  

I prefer to say "willingly went to pound town" over drink the kool ade.  Mostly because I hate kool ade

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I get what people mean when they use the term.  My point was about the origin.  Once I realized the origin I stopped.  

Okay, My original intent was to inquire of  this community what replacement the Tigers might use for Erie, given that franchise has been earmarked for elimination.  Knowing the wrath thrown here in the past by control-obsessed haters of new threads, I thought I'd better dig around to see if the subject had already been touched upon. That is how your comment from so long ago fell into my cross hairs....digging back to the date of the NYT article.  And remembering that I personally  had used the comment "drink the kool-aid"* a while back, got me to wondering if my use may have inspired your commentary? That is where this all originated.

So, you can plainly see that the "new thread loathing" nature by some of the more outspoken (and offensive) regulars of this forum is clearly the main culprit behind this regrettable exchange. Perhaps in a more tolerant environment none of this would have happened? :D

All that said, I know from personal experiences with minor league club administrators that cutting down costs related to travel is a prime instigator in the shrinking of the MinLB. So West Michigan isn't going to get an AA club...take that to the bank.

Where do you, oblong, think a replacement for Erie will be located?