IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

This team used to be a warm blankey I would cuddle up with; now it’s just a piece of cloth riddled with smallpox given to me by the white devil while they drag our off women into servitude. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Geeze you think we're cheap....the O's just waivered their best player

But he's not very good, certainly not at $10M.

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

This team used to be a warm blankey I would cuddle up with; now it’s just a piece of cloth riddled with smallpox given to me by the white devil while they drag our off women into servitude. 

At least we still have each other.  Misery loves company.

38 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But he's not very good, certainly not at $10M.

I don't dissagree that he probably had an outlier year.

But, come on playing in Asia? 

19 hours ago, Casimir said:

I do think Avila should be held responsible for not having another 3rd catcher on hand in the organization.  Bobby Wilson was around.  Why didn't they bring him up?  Or was he gone by the time Rogers was brought up?

Good grief, this team sucks.

Yeah, but thanks to all of the tanking we have so much great talent in the system and hope for the future.  /sarcasm

I do understand that it will likely take many years to rebuild because it's not just replenishing a recently barren farm system and an aging, overpaid big league roster. It's also changing a culture. Modernizing an antiquated system. 

But I also think it's not necessary to field a 47 win team. Add better stop gap players. Who knows, maybe some will still be contributors when Detroit is ready to contend. 

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

He's been worth 10 million three of the last four years.  I am sure if he came to the Tigers he would suck, but his track record is pretty good!

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Playing in Asia?  Huh?

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.  ?

I do what I can to make sure that people dont take me seriously.?

5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I do what I can to make sure that people dont take me seriously.?

Don't worry.  Nobody takes you seriously.  

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I do understand that it will likely take many years to rebuild because it's not just replenishing a recently barren farm system and an aging, overpaid big league roster. It's also changing a culture. Modernizing an antiquated system. 

But I also think it's not necessary to field a 47 win team. Add better stop gap players. Who knows, maybe some will still be contributors when Detroit is ready to contend. 

I think these comments are right on the mark. We are talking about a team that had, if I am reading Baseball refence.com correctly , had nine players with a WAR of one or more. After one subtracts Nick and Shane , we are down to seven . Miggy was exactly at replacement level last year.

In my view, a little risk is warranted if the goal is just having a marginally watchable team. I don't expect a winner this year. I do expect a team that is more entertaining than watching the breathless non stop action of the annual paint drying tournament, the white semi-gloss division.

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yeah, he could be a good bench piece on a contender.

They need to hack NSA spy satellites to steal signs. Procuring or developing better players is amateur hour. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

They need to hack NSA spy satellites to steal signs. Procuring or developing better players is amateur 

Or perhaps a psychic. Someone who sees the pitches before they happen. Could also help with shift placement. First came moneyball. AA can get credit for telepathyball 

5 hours ago, leflore said:

they might win 50 this year if theyre lucky.

On 11/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, Oblong said:

on that same subject I think using the term. “Drinking the kool aid” is wrong. Once I saw a Jim Jones documentary and learned that the poisoned kool aid wasn’t voluntarily taken by many at Jonestown. Aggressors used syringes to inject it down the throats of children and babies and others. It wasn’t just crazy cult members killing themselves. 

FWIW, the expression "Drink the Kool-Aid" was a metaphor well before Jonestown. We used the expression lightheartedly in the late 60s early 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test

I believe that many people should stop looking so hard for opportunities  to claim they have been offended, especially in instances where the offense requires a subjective interpretation.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Perhaps eliminating Erie is just the beginning? Contraction at the Major league level could be on the horizon?

49 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

FWIW, the expression "Drink the Kool-Aid" was a metaphor well before Jonestown. We used the expression lightheartedly in the late 60s early 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test

I believe that many people should stop looking so hard for opportunities  to claim they have been offended, especially in instances where the offense requires a subjective interpretation.

More importantly, people should also stop looking so hard for opportunities to offend people.  If someone is offended by something you say, don't say it.  If you are with friends and you all get each other, say what you want.  Know your audience and you shouldn't have any problems.    

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

More importantly, people should also stop looking so hard for opportunities to offend people.  If someone is offended by something you say, don't say it.  If you are with friends and you all get each other, say what you want.  Know your audience and you shouldn't have any problems.    

Agreed.

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

Let's hope not. How are they supposed to rebuild if they're winning games? 

• Like 1

Mize, Manning et al will be called up late in the season and take 2-3 years to build up innings and establish themselves at which time Illitch will approve a few FAs and they'll have a 2 year window to win before they get traded for prospects because Illitch won't shell out big coin. Some years of mediocreville will follow and it'll end in the next rebuild circa 2029. See Pirates, Pittsburgh 

Sorry, I used up all of my positive energy earlier today.