IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Not bad, though he is a similar player to Alex Avila and Alex throws better.

Probably a better health record than Avila.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Honest question for anyone.  Is Sanchez's glove significantly better than Harold Castro's?  Because that's basically who Sanchez is as a hitter.

Now, if we're talking Sanchez vs Rodriguez, I'd easily take the defense.

Ronnie Rod should be the back up at DH only. Glove bad !

19 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

So padres just gave up urias for junk

What? You think pulling the plug on a 22yr old at 300 MLB PA is maybe a little impatient  or something?

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What? You think pulling the plug on a 22yr old at 300 MLB PA is maybe a little impatient  or something?

Yes. 

I am more upset because boyd is better than Davies. 

Where is al on this one

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Not bad, though he is a similar player to Alex Avila and Alex throws better.

The main concern I have with Avila is durability.  I think the Tigers need someone who can catch about half their games.  Their track records suggest Castro is more likely to be able to do that. 

Edit: Cas beat me to it.  

I am absolutely convinced Avila has no plan for this club What is the plan for Greiner and Rodgers this year? Doug Mientkiewicz was correct in his opposition to pushing guys through the system without them being ready. 

30 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I am absolutely convinced Avila has no plan for this club What is the plan for Greiner and Rodgers this year? 

Avila has said Rogers will be in AAA and they will sign a veteran to split time with greiner.

He also said Rogers wasnt ready and was only called up out of necessity 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Edit: Cas beat me to it.  

I understand this would ordinarily be humiliating, but its the dead period of the off season, so I think you are excused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Avila has said Rogers will be in AAA and they will sign a veteran to split time with greiner.

He also said Rogers wasnt ready and was only called up out of necessity 

I do think Avila should be held responsible for not having another 3rd catcher on hand in the organization.  Bobby Wilson was around.  Why didn't they bring him up?  Or was he gone by the time Rogers was brought up?

Good grief, this team sucks.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Doug Mientkiewicz was correct in his opposition to pushing guys through the system without them being ready. 

It was Doug's job to make them ready!  Instead .. Doug Mientkiewicz wanted them demoted to AA!

4 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes. 

I am more upset because boyd is better than Davies. 

Where is al on this one

Al didn't have Trent Grisham to kick into the deal.

I'd like to know the whole story with Mencaveitch. Imho there is a skill to how one challenges leadership. Looks like he has burned a couple bridges already so I doubt he has that skill 

42 minutes ago, leflore said:

I'd like to know the whole story with Mencaveitch. Imho there is a skill to how one challenges leadership. Looks like he has burned a couple bridges already so I doubt he has that skill 

I dont think Doug got the idea that wins are secondary in the minors

10 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Geeze you think we're cheap....the O's just waivered their best player

We are, because we’ll pass on him, which is unacceptable.  He’d be our best position player for $10 million.

Claiming him would serve multiple purposes - improve talent (he'd instantly become Detroit's best position player), and it would show the fan base they want to improve this year. He wouldn't be blocking anyone. 

Instead he will go unclaimed and sign a 2/12 contract with the Cubs.

Wow it must suck to be an Orioles fan right now

Just think if Al could have been creative and gotten Urias who the Padres were obviously impatient with and then just claimed Villar we would have a Keystone Combo with skill and potential. We still can get Villar. Just $$ Little I.

If he goes unclaimed Detroit will have to outbid everyone and probably pay close to 10 mil anyway. Otherwise there are contenders that need IF help. 

Contenders don’t put guys like Villar at middle infield every day. The Orioles been trying desperately to trade him but can’t find any takers, which says something. He’s poor defensively and he doesn’t hit consistently, even this season which, given he’s age 28, was likely less breakout and more fluke. He’s too below average for contenders and too expensive for scorched-earth tankers like the Tigers. I’m not sure where he ends up. Possibly San Diego, who have only a dim idea of how to build a winner. Or maybe Asia.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Contenders don’t put guys like Villar at middle infield every day. The Orioles been trying desperately to trade him but can’t find any takers, which says something. He’s poor defensively and he doesn’t hit consistently, even this season which, given he’s age 28, was likely less breakout and more fluke. He’s too below average for contenders and too expensive for scorched-earth tankers like the Tigers. I’m not sure where he ends up. Possibly San Diego, who have only a dim idea of how to build a winner. Or maybe Asia.

I think you are way undervaluing him.