IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

What are "cash considerations", anyway? How does that differ from plain old cash?

I always wondered that too.  I wonder if it means that they  receive more money depending on what happens with the player.  Like if he makes the team they get a different amount then if he doesn't.  

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I wonder if the Pirates accept Kohl's 30% off coupons?

Only those that are shared on Facebook

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I always wondered that too.  I wonder if it means that they  receive more money depending on what happens with the player.  Like if he makes the team they get a different amount then if he doesn't.  

It's just fancy code for "buying" a player from another team.

I'm not familiar with any circumstances where the amount of cash is contingent on what happens with the player, unlike some other sports with conditional draft picks and such. In baseball, it is typically just a fixed amount.

33 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

It's just fancy code for "buying" a player from another team.

I'm not familiar with any circumstances where the amount of cash is contingent on what happens with the player, unlike some other sports with conditional draft picks and such. In baseball, it is typically just a fixed amount.

Yeah, I figured it might be fancy schmancy wordification, but just asking in case it might have been something more.

The White Sox waived Yolmer Sanchez...Gold Glove 2B Yolmer Sanchez.  Guy was a 2.1 WAR player last year vs Harold "I should be a utility guy" Castro's -.2   He's only 27...he could be a nice stop gap on a 1-2 year deal while we develop a 2B prospect

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

The White Sox waived Yolmer Sanchez...Gold Glove 2B Yolmer Sanchez.  Guy was a 2.1 WAR player last year vs Harold "I should be a utility guy" Castro's -.2   He's only 27...he could be a nice stop gap on a 1-2 year deal while we develop a 2B prospect

a light hitting-switch hitter-middle infielder? Al is going to be all in on that

Not sure how the salary would work out, but the White Sox were looking at around $6.2M for him in arbitration.  Seems expensive for a light to non hitting middle infielder.

If he was a 2-win player, that's like $3.1M per win.  That's pretty reasonable according to some of the stuff that Fangraphs has published about the going rates for WAR.

5 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

If he was a 2-win player, that's like $3.1M per win.  That's pretty reasonable according to some of the stuff that Fangraphs has published about the going rates for WAR.

I don't think $6M is an overpay at 2B for GG defense and a 318 OBP.  He'd be a better fit on a team that wasn't as bereft of power as the Tigers are, but any good MIF glove that has power is going to be way out of the Tiger's price range.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think $6M is an overpay at 2B for GG defense and a 318 OBP.  He'd be a better fit on a team that wasn't as bereft of power as the Tigers are, but any good MIF glove that has power is going to be way out of the Tiger's price range.

Yes, Sanchez can fill a position with a plus glove, which is helpful for a young staff, he can play 2B and 3B very well, and his offense is well below average but not bad for bottom of the order on a bad team.  He'd be as valuable as any non-prospect that we'd plug in there for $6M.

10 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

...and he would not be holding any legit prospects back, especially since he can flex between 2B and 3B.

Realistically, he could probably play short and 1B too. Can't be any less of a liability at those spots than ronny rodriguez was.

Steven Vogt signed with Arizona for $3 mil/one year. I had posted some time back that he would have been a good signing for Detroit. Could have provided leadership at the position and also could have been a good mentor for the younger catchers. Great clubhouse guy and bats from the left. Rogers and Greiner are really being hung out to dry right now. Vogt would have been an upgrade over Hicks and afforded Rogers time in Toledo where he belongs.

Jason Castro is still available.  You can never have  enough Castros.  Seriously, he'd be a decent pick up.  

• Thanks 1

Yolmer Sanchez had a career year in the field last year and was his usual terrible, god awful self at the plate.

I guess if you have no other options, he might be a useful player on a one year deal.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Jason Castro is still available.  You can never have  enough Castros.  Seriously, he'd be a decent pick up.  

Not bad, though he is a similar player to Alex Avila and Alex throws better.

8 hours ago, JackPine said:

Realistically, he could probably play short and 1B too. Can't be any less of a liability at those spots than ronny rodriguez was.

yep

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

Yolmer Sanchez had a career year in the field last year and was his usual terrible, god awful self at the plate.

I guess if you have no other options, he might be a useful player on a one year deal.  

Honest question for anyone.  Is Sanchez's glove significantly better than Harold Castro's?  Because that's basically who Sanchez is as a hitter.

Now, if we're talking Sanchez vs Rodriguez, I'd easily take the defense.

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Yup.  Easily buys Rogers time in Toledo.  Greiner definitely isn't every day material.  Castro could be flipped at the deadline.

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Not bad, though he is a similar player to Alex Avila and Alex throws better.

Probably a better health record than Avila.