IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'm a glass half full kinda guy

I had you pegged as a beer stein gentleman.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Looks like a Devil We Know catcher is available again.

Shame on you for referring to Scrappy McCannt as the devil.

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Shame on you for referring to Scrappy McCannt as the devil.

He's not the devil. He's a devil. There are more than one.

50 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You guys dont think they guys I listed, who I believe are all under 26, have as much if not more upside than the giants #20 prospect?

Hard to know, but it's worth taking a shot on a young guy with development remaining. When you're rebuilding, you explore every avenue.

I think your question is, does anyone available in rule 5 have a higher ceiling than the player who may get bumped from the organization as a result of the selection? 

Usually there's a couple guys that really stand out in the Rule 5 draft but I'm not seeing any this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers don't take anybody.  

Take Roberto Ramos based on his OBP's. Lifetime .370 plus he bats Left and plays first base. They have two take somebody. No stone unturned and such.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Usually there's a couple guys that really stand out in the Rule 5 draft but I'm not seeing any this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers don't take anybody.  

I disagree wholeheartedly.

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'd be shocked if they don't take one.  Be foolish not to IMO with the first pick, even if you don't think they will for sure stick.

First glance it seems like Ramos would be the logical pick.  Soon to be 25 year old LH hitting 1b (position of need) with power and patience.  Seems like an easy fit to give a shot to, especially with 26 man rosters.  

Just now, socaltiger said:

Take Roberto Ramos based on his OBP's. Lifetime .370 plus he bats Left and plays first base. They have two take somebody. No stone unturned and such.

Yeah, what he said ?

I mean if the organization sees somebody that they believe has potential and is better than what they otherwise have or could have on the 40 sure take it but I don't agree with the notion that you have to take somebody just cause you have the number 1 pick. 

For the risk of $50 K you definitely do IMO.  $100 K if you keep him, 50 if you don't.  That's an extremely cheap way to see if you can improve the talent level.  If a hard throwing reliever fails, ala last year, no big deal.  If the player hits even mildly, it's another asset.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Given how insanely bad the Tigers' roster is, it's inconceivable to me that there aren't guys available in the Rule V that are better than some of the zeroes we have.  Probably quite a few guys, and probably some who are a lot better than our worst players.

21 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Given how insanely bad the Tigers' roster is, it's inconceivable to me that there aren't guys available in the Rule V that are better than some of the zeroes we have.  Probably quite a few guys, and probably some who are a lot better than our worst players.

not this year--take a look for yourself.

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

it's not the cost associated, it's the roster spot (40-man and 25-man).

When does 25-man increase to 26-man?

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

umnm....that's ALL STAR devil we know catcher.

show some respect.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Given how insanely bad the Tigers' roster is, it's inconceivable to me that there aren't guys available in the Rule V that are better than some of the zeroes we have.

QFT

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

The fact that the WS have never offered a contract that large is pretty amazing. 

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The fact that the WS have never offered a contract that large is pretty amazing. 

I agree, especially in that market. If they get and stay healthy I think they might make their jump toward contention next season. 

I think the White Sox have made bigger offers to others but they would always get outbid or just get passed over for another team.

I saw a tweet earlier by some writer that said something like "The White Sox finally found a player to take their money" which to me sounds like they've been wanting to give out big contracts for a while but for whatever reason could never get anybody to take it. 

BTW I love that signing.  To get one of the best catchers in baseball for under 20 Mill a year on a relatively short contract seems like a steal. 

4 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Take Roberto Ramos based on his OBP's. Lifetime .370 plus he bats Left and plays first base. ...No stone unturned and such.

TANK for ROJAS!!!

Oh.... wait.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think the White Sox have made bigger offers to others but they would always get outbid or just get passed over for another team.

I saw a tweet earlier by some writer that said something like "The White Sox finally found a player to take their money" which to me sounds like they've been wanting to give out big contracts for a while but for whatever reason could never get anybody to take it. 

BTW I love that signing.  To get one of the best catchers in baseball for under 20 Mill a year on a relatively short contract seems like a steal. 

They basically got a free year out of him, because he’s worth $73 million for three years.

White Sox might have four Cuban all-stars on that team. 

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

When does 25-man increase to 26-man?

In 2020, the rosters increase to 26 with a 13 pitcher max.