IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I can't believe Seuly Matias wasn't protected!

I would guess it's more a matter that they  think they can slide him through. Taking an A ball player in the R5 is a long reach.

I'll wait for the experts to provide some analysis, but a cursory review of each team's top 30 prospects that were exposed does not elicit much optimism.  They might be better passing on the draft and pouncing on some of the recent DFA's, like Greg Bird, as already noted.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

are any of them going to be better than Reyes, Jones, Stewart or Demiettre?

If not, than what's the point in taking them.

You take a young guy that has some ceiling, and hope he maxes out his development.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

He struck out in over 50% of his AB’s last year.  I don’t care how much power he projects, he’ll never make enough contact to make it worth it.

Oh, wait, he's a hitter?  I saw all of those SOs and thought, wow, not a bad addition as a pitcher.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

are any of them going to be better than Reyes, Jones, Stewart or Demiettre?

If not, than what's the point in taking them.

It wouldn't take much to be better than those guys.  If somebody is young and has some upside, then you take a chance on them.  If it turns out they are not better, then nothing is lost.  That is just a general statement though.  I have not researched the players that 84lives mentioned.  

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It wouldn't take much to be better than those guys.  If somebody is young and has some upside, then you take a chance on them.  If it turns out they are not better, then nothing is lost.  That is just a general statement though.  I have not researched the players that 84lives mentioned.  

unfortunately, those players don't exist in this draft.  wonder why this one is so devoid of talent?  Too many teams focused on rebuilding?

I cannot believe that there are not any high upside players available in the rule 5 draft. What are these teams thinking protecting their high upside players?

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I cannot believe that there are not any high upside players available in the rule 5 draft. What are these teams thinking protecting their high upside players?

I appreciate the sarcasm, but usually there are a handful of players that look like they have upside, but got squeezed because of 40-man roster issues.  That doesn't appear to be the case this year.  Any player who might have some upside (like the Minny SS), would be incapable of contributing in the MLB next year and likely not rostered the entire season.

The tigers even protected their low upside players.

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I appreciate the sarcasm, but usually there are a handful of players that look like they have upside, but got squeezed because of 40-man roster issues.  That doesn't appear to be the case this year.  Any player who might have some upside (like the Minny SS), would be incapable of contributing in the MLB next year and likely not rostered the entire season.

When was the last time a player with upside who was also capable of contributing in MLB was available in the rule 5 draft?

Regarding the level of talent available among rule 5 players:

Cellar teams like the Tigers are looking for everyday starters at nearly every position.

Stellar teams are looking for fill-ins that may have slightly more talent than their current fill-ins.

Not sure what percentage of Rule 5 eligible players actually get signed by another team ..and stick!

you mean sportz yelling at clouds about Nick Burdi was a bit nuts?

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I doubt that list will provide a good answer to my question. 

I suppose I should clarify that my question was related to contributing in MLB this year, which was the scenario you mentioned with respect to the twins SS.

Looks like a Devil We Know catcher is available again.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

interesting--clearly an overpay to get him to go to the South Side, as it was rumored that the Astros were interested.  I heard on MLB Radio that both Harper and Machado rejected bigger offers from the White Sox last offseason.  White Sox are smart to spend--the AL Central is wide open, with Cleveland looking to potentially move some players, like Lindor, before free agency and the Twins with a vulnerable pitching staff and lineup peppered with rentals.

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

When was the last time a player with upside who was also capable of contributing in MLB was available in the rule 5 draft?

Probably back before the rule change, which I think went into effect in 2007

Looking at that article, the answer is probably Soria, who was good in his rookie year and remained pretty good throughout his career. 

I think all of the other players mentioned were bad or played very little during their first season, but ultimately became good major leaguers. 

14 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Other baseball publications .. I always enjoyed Baseball Digest. My favorite feature in Baseball Digest was "The Fan Speaks Out".  I also enjoyed doing the Baseball Crossword Puzzle, ..and reading regular features such as "The Game I'll never Forget", .."So You Think You Know Baseball", .."Baseball Quick Quiz", .."Baseball Rules Corner",  ..and always looked forward to the April issue each year that had all the teams' rosters printed out.  Saved and still have over 40 years worth of issues.

Did you know that Baseball Digest still publishes regularly? It's true. I'm friends with one of the editors and he says they get so few letters for the Fan Speaks Out that he ends up having to make up letters just to fill out the space. So if you write them an earnest letter with a serious question, there's an excellent chance it will show up in the next available issue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Shelton didn't get an invitation to the Rule V party.  

definitely not getting one now.  actually, given the dearth of prospects, I'm cancelling mine.  sorry to anyone who already received my "save the date" postcard.  I'm cancelling my 6-foot sub order from Subway right now.

48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

hard to see Rogers or GG being significantly better than McCann

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

You take a young guy that has some ceiling, and hope he maxes out his development.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

You guys dont think they guys I listed, who I believe are all under 26, have as much if not more upside than the giants #20 prospect?