IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

See that shirt that Johnny B is wearing?  I used to have shirts like that.

Alas, Qiana is no more.

Sic transit gloria mundi 

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I had a few - and multi colored, striped, corduroy bell bottoms. Even had a pair of platform shoes. Then they demolished disco at Comisky between a White Sox vs Tigers doubleheader and it's been downhill since

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I had shirts like the one Fidrych was wearing.  

I had hair....not like Johnnie B's or the Bird's...nothing anywhere near that grandiose...but yeah, I had hair...

8 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I had hair....not like Johnnie B's or the Bird's...nothing anywhere near that grandiose...but yeah, I had hair...

We all did.  

I don't remember them looking so young when they were playing.

As for our potential new AA team, I think it would make a lot of sense to promote West Michigan to the Eastern League. They have a big enough and nice enough stadium, and a fan base that is already disposed to rooting for the Tigers.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As for our potential new AA team, I think it would make a lot of sense to promote West Michigan to the Eastern League. They have a big enough and nice enough stadium, and a fan base that is already disposed to rooting for the Tigers.

close to Detroit which is good

but one of reasons offered for contraction was to make travel shorter. WM is near 1 maybe 2 EL teams.

And Erie's facilities are way better.

8 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I still have it.  I just keep it in the shower drain now

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Again, I think people and the detroit news are thinking to simple about this.

Oh well well just promote WM...

There is no guarantee that the eastern league in it's current form will exist. It might become a high a league or split into three leagues.

Our AA team, if we lose erie, might end up in el Paso for all we know now. Its gonna be based on regions and new leagues in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

There is no guarantee that the eastern league in it's current form will exist. It might become a high a league or split into three leagues.

Our AA team, if we lose erie, might end up in el Paso for all we know now. Its gonna be based on regions and new leagues in 2020.

All I said is that I think it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think I read this a few weeks back when baseball America originally broke this news (I think it was them), but the current leagues are going to change with regard to the number of teams. I think there are going to more leagues but with fewer teams each. 

So, once the dust settles and we know which 90 teams will remain, we will see how it ends up broken up. WM could end up in AA or AAA. Toledo could end up in a AA or AAA league. We could have three 10 team AAA leagues. We could have a 14 team AA league and a pair of 8 team leagues. 

I do think we will end up with three AAA leagues. One out west, one in the Midwest, and on the east coast. 

We’ll see whether or not there is a way to keep both Toledo and WM in the tigers system. I think one of them will certainly stay and will be a AAA team. Obviously Lakeland will stay with the tigers. 

You could see something similar to hockey. The top two minor league tiers operate over huge swaths of the country with geographically sensible divisions.  Below those two leagues are two smaller regional leagues.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:53 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

So about the Astros?

Just for some context when I say what I'm about to say, I pitched in the minor leagues for 3 years, making it up to high A between stints with Boston and Cincinnati. Made some decent money, met some unbelievable guys/players and some of the biggest *** holes you'll ever encounter.

If all of this is true, and when I say all of this I mean the cameras, ear pieces, I even heard body sensors or something like that? Someone was saying there was a computer/camera in the home dugout at Minute Maid? I heard there was a garbage can they would hit as a way to communicate the signals at home. If true, then his is the most egregious act of cheating I have ever seen in any sport. The wrath of God needs to be brought upon everyone that was complicit in this. There is absolutely no place in our game for using cameras to effectively spy on the other team's signals. Let alone to turn around and use them pitch by pitch by pitch. If they were doing it during the season, you know they were doing it in the playoffs. That is absolutely the most immoral, unethical behavior baseball has ever seen. I want people banned for life. Pete Rose betting on his own team earned a lifetime ban. These guys potentially doing what they did ruined seasons and postseasons. It tainted everything they ever accomplished. In short, screw everyone who was complicit in this. None of them should ever be allowed to manage/coach/play ever again. Set a precedent that this isn't acceptable. Forfeit salaries. Void contracts. This is THAT bad for me.

I cannot imagine being a pitcher, logging 200+ innings, working my tail off all year/off-season to make the World Series. And have it come out that a scandal like that was going on. That a team would set up cameras in the outfield and relay the signals to the dugout. Who would then turn around and use a system of noises and maybe even earpieces and shocks? Again, it's al hearsay at this point, but I'm serious about this. People should be gone forever.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

met some some of the biggest *** holes you'll ever encounter.

Wait, our paths didn't cross in minor league ball

49 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Again, it's al hearsay at this point, but I'm serious about this. People should be gone forever.

Just to clarify it's not hearsay. You have a former player who said yeah we did it and emails now

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think I read this a few weeks back when baseball America originally broke this news (I think it was them), but the current leagues are going to change with regard to the number of teams. I think there are going to more leagues but with fewer teams each. 

So, once the dust settles and we know which 90 teams will remain, we will see how it ends up broken up. WM could end up in AA or AAA. Toledo could end up in a AA or AAA league. We could have three 10 team AAA leagues. We could have a 14 team AA league and a pair of 8 team leagues. 

I do think we will end up with three AAA leagues. One out west, one in the Midwest, and on the east coast. 

We’ll see whether or not there is a way to keep both Toledo and WM in the tigers system. I think one of them will certainly stay and will be a AAA team. Obviously Lakeland will stay with the tigers. 

Hopefully both Toledo and West Michigan stick with the Tigers.  Selfishly I'd prefer Toledo stay with the Tigers and not worry about whether they were AAA or AA.  I suspect they will remain AAA due to their stadium, but who knows how this will all shake out.

It makes sense to me to reduce leagues down to smaller sizes ( 8/10/12 teams) with some more geographic organization.  The Pacific League with its structure of teams from Tennessee to California doesn't make much sense.

As punishment...The Verlander trade should be immediately voided... and we get to keep Daz

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

You could see something similar to hockey. The top two minor league tiers operate over huge swaths of the country with geographically sensible divisions.  Below those two leagues are two smaller regional leagues.

You mean like the ECHL?  That team all alone in Newfoundland?  Bring back the Alaska Aces.

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Hopefully both Toledo and West Michigan stick with the Tigers.  Selfishly I'd prefer Toledo stay with the Tigers and not worry about whether they were AAA or AA.  I suspect they will remain AAA due to their stadium, but who knows how this will all shake out.

It makes sense to me to reduce leagues down to smaller sizes ( 8/10/12 teams) with some more geographic organization.  The Pacific League with its structure of teams from Tennessee to California doesn't make much sense.

I didn’t quite remember it correctly. Each team would still have four levels plus a “complex” team. So WM and Toledo and Lakeland could stay the same as they are.

From BA:

The proposal also completely reorganizes the full-season minor leagues. While there would still be Triple-A, Double-A, high Class A and low Class A, those four levels would be completely reworked to make the leagues much more geographically compact. In Triple-A, the Pacific Coast League would shift from 16 teams to 10. The International League would grow to 20 teams. The 14-team low Class A South Atlantic League would be turned into a six-team league with a new Mid-Atlantic league springing up.

The short-season Northwest League would move to full-season ball.

Under MLB’s proposal, some teams would be asked to move from Class A to Triple-A. Others would be asked to move from Triple-A to Class A, and there would be other less dramatic moves as well.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

All I said is that I think it makes sense.

Reorganizing leagues geographically makes sense. Reducing the number of affiliated clubs and capping the number of minor leaguers per organization is depressing.

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Under MLB’s proposal, some teams would be asked to move from Class A to Triple-A. Others would be asked to move from Triple-A to Class A, and there would be other less dramatic moves as well.

Will they ask the Tigers to move?

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Reorganizing leagues geographically makes sense. Reducing the number of affiliated clubs and capping the number of minor leaguers per organization is depressing.

I guess I feel like the different numbers of affiliates to the major league team is one of those acceptable quirks.  On the other hand, I can see MLB wanting to dial things to where its even per team under some theory of parity.  This, however, likely has absolutely nothing at all to do with parity.

2 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Just for some context when I say what I'm about to say, I pitched in the minor leagues for 3 years, making it up to high A between stints with Boston and Cincinnati. Made some decent money, met some unbelievable guys/players and some of the biggest *** holes you'll ever encounter.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Wait, our paths didn't cross in minor league ball

Nah, I just checked for both of you on baseball cube and couldn't find either of you.  Ain't now Sydney Fife, ain't no Mr. Bigglesworth.