IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

A famous prospect is one who's been followed/scouted throughout high school and summer showcases like perfect game, etc. by most of baseball.

Well then that's a really silly comment, because literally every team drafts "famous" players by that definition.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Meadows, too.  Still, a ridiculous comment.

Cam Gibson too.  I agree it's a ridiculous comment.  It could have been phrased better.

Derek Hill, Kingston Liniak, Daz Cameron, Pedro Martinez Jr., Eliezer Alfonzo to name some others, not all draftees.  But every team has them.  Seeing the MLB kids' success with the Blue Jays, and Tatis in SD always makes me think of Martinez and Clemens especially, and hope they'll develop similarly. 

joe maddon to the sox isnt going to happen.  he has no connection to the sox AND he will be very expensive.

he will have no shortage of suitors.

if, for some reason, he does not, the tigers would be foolish not to kick the tires on him.  while his in game managing leaves something to be desired, he is an excellent regular season manager and deals well with young players.

11 hours ago, Casimir said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that they won't need to spend some money somewhere along the line.

And in addition to the major prospect pieces that you listed above, they are also going to need to find some other pieces in the draft after the first round or via international scouting or waivers or however else.  

I believe that they will spend some money, but based on AA's history, he will fail at finding value or production.

I would also like to see some AA prospects "punch-up" well above their draft level.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I believe that they will spend some money, but based on AA's history, he will fail at finding value or production.

I would also like to see some AA prospects "punch-up" well above their draft level.

Yeah, it's easy to draft Mize let's see him find value in a later round like the 9th.

8 hours ago, Los Gatos said:

Derek Hill, Kingston Liniak, Daz Cameron, Pedro Martinez Jr., Eliezer Alfonzo to name some others, not all draftees.  But every team has them.  Seeing the MLB kids' success with the Blue Jays, and Tatis in SD always makes me think of Martinez and Clemens especially, and hope they'll develop similarly. 

Does Alex Avila count?

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

And the Indians are eliminated.

Yes they are. Get it done A’s.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah, it's easy to draft Mize let's see him find value in a later round like the 9th.

you're going to be so proud when jose king AND dawel lugo get inducted into the hall of fame.

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

This is where I am. AA hasn’t shown jack to this point. It’s easy finishing last and picking first. Sooner rather than later, he’ll have to be a real GM. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

you're going to be so proud when jose king AND dawel lugo get inducted into the hall of fame.

Well I was referencing Skubal but so far he's only eligible for the WAC or the Hayward, CA HoF.

19 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Well then that's a really silly comment, because literally every team drafts "famous" players by that definition.

Actually, no.  Just the elite of each class are considered "famous".

Blaze Jordan, 3B/1B
DeSoto Central HS, Southaven, Miss.

Perhaps the most famous player in the 2020 draft class, Jordan had a strong summer and was arguably the best hitter at the UAAAG, where he went 2-for-5 and routinely barreled impressive fastball velocity and stayed back on breaking pitches with ease. Jordan combines impressive natural strength and above-average bat speed, though he showed some swing-and-miss throughout the rest of the circuit, including an 0-for-4 performance with four strikeouts at the PGAAC. Still, he has some of the best raw power in the class, with a fairly advanced approach for his age (he’ll be 17.5 at the time of the draft) and is giving himself a chance to stick at third base.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

The "punch ups" need to happen no matter what state the major league team is in.

9 hours ago, leflore said:

And the Indians are eliminated.

Thank goodness.  That makes this weekend much more tolerable when I head to the in laws.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

The "punch ups" need to happen no matter what state the major league team is in.

Well, yeah, that has been one of the defining failures of AAs tenure for 17 years. 

I scoured the list of Tigers who played from 2002-2019 for 2002 or later draftees outside of the 1st round who have had at least a couple of decent seasons (>2 War) in the majors. 

Putting aside the handful of pitchers for a second (Rodney, Zoom, Knebel, Jurrjens and Smyly, maybe I missed one or two others) this is what I came up with:

Grandy

Joyce

Avila

Suarez

....Boesch, Dirks, McCann and H Perez are close.

So, 17 years and these are the non 1st rd. draft to ML success stories.   A couple of relievers including Rodneys good career, a couple of starters with brief positive performance and injuiries, a couple of good position players including a very good career from Grandy, a good C career for Avila, a pretty good journeyman in Joyce, a where-did-that-come-from slugger in Suarez, and some one-timers/bench fodder.  Some "hits" there, but not impressive IMO.

From the 1st round, the 14 picks other than those lost as comp of course include JV, Maybin, Miller, Porcello, + Casty.  Not bad, but not enough to overcome the subpar results below the 1st round IMO.

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Actually, no.  Just the elite of each class are considered "famous".

What first round prospect isn't scouted throughout school and at showcases?

And which team at the top of the draft doesn't draft an elite prospect?

Looked at the standings today and saw the Tigers are  -326 in run differential.  The next closest team is the Orioles at -256.   The 2003 Tigers were -337.  

The 2003 Tigers were in Dombrowski's first year of building a team.   

It's just another thing that should be a nail in Avila's coffin.  I can't believe he's sticking around.   

And there is no way Chris Illitch is going to spend for a Pudge Rodriguez to come around and start the turnaround.   

Dark Days...........Indeed. 

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Looked at the standings today and saw the Tigers are  -326 in run differential.  The next closest team is the Orioles at -256.   The 2003 Tigers were -337.  

The 2003 Tigers were in Dombrowski's first year of building a team.   

It's just another thing that should be a nail in Avila's coffin.  I can't believe he's sticking around.   

And there is no way Chris Illitch is going to spend for a Pudge Rodriguez to come around and start the turnaround.   

Dark Days...........Indeed. 

Yeah, I'm with you. Until AA/Illitch spends on a decent FA I'll be at best cautiously optimistic. I'm hopeful Illitch will spend but won't be surprised if he doesn't. At which point I'll start sending him hate mail again. Maybe a candy bar with a tac in it. And I'll fart on the candy bar. And the letter. And lick it.

38 minutes ago, leflore said:

Yeah, I'm with you. Until AA/Illitch spends on a decent FA I'll be at best cautiously optimistic. I'm hopeful Illitch will spend but won't be surprised if he doesn't. At which point I'll start sending him hate mail again. Maybe a candy bar with a tac in it. And I'll fart on the candy bar. And the letter. And lick it.

You don't have to worry about the spending money part......they're not.   

58 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You don't have to worry about the spending money part......they're not.   

Oh, they'll spend something. But they need to spend it smarter. No November, December FA overpays would be a good start. Yeah, I know Harrison was a later signing who still didn't work out. I know that. But we didn't pay as much for him at least...