IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

7 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't see how that analogy fits here.  You don't keep a guy at junior varsity if he's better than the guy at varsity.  

This may be true but still doesn't apply to Jake as in his current state he is not their best catcher if Greiner is healthy or they sign any kind of journeyman (which is what they need to do). Obviously we hope that changes with a little more development, but until it does...

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't see how that analogy fits here.  You don't keep a guy at junior varsity if he's better than the guy at varsity.  

You do if the JV player is a freshman who is getting extensive playing time at JV but would see considerably less at varsity and objectively isn't ready for varsity.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You do if the JV player is a freshman who is getting extensive playing time at JV but would see considerably less at varsity and objectively isn't ready for varsity.

What about a good hit, decent glove sophomore with a hot mom?  Where does he play?

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

What about a good hit, decent glove sophomore with a hot mom?  Where does he play?

How hot are we talking about?

Asking for a friend.

12 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Having a good team at the ML is the ultimate objective.  I don't like sacrificing the present for unknown future.  No, don't play them if they are not ready, but I also don't fully subscribe that bringing up someone too soon "ruins" their development.  

Play the best talent you have at the ML level.  

You do realize that both CastroW and Rogers were not the best options at their respective positions last season, right?  And you do realize that, comparisons to other positional options aside, they were both clearly overmatched at the plate, and Rogers had some rough outings behind the plate as well, right?  They don't really looked developed.

And you do realize that "sacrificing the present for an unknown future" for a team that went 47-114 is about an absurd comment as could ever be written, right?  I mean, I understand at some point they have to win 50 games, 60 games, 70 games, etc, etc in order to get to the playoffs.  But this team won 47 games.  I'll blindly take the future over the present unless that 47 wins is going to suddenly be placed within an 80 game schedule.

Other than that, I think I agree with you.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Ver gets the Cy Young. Meh.

Yeah, he's been HoF level since AA traded him.

At least AA recieved young all stars...whoops

But look at what CI and AA have done with the $$ to benefit the team...whoops

The only good thing about this abortion of a deal is that JV gets to leave this smoldering wreck of a franchise behind and thrive elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

But look at what CI and AA have done with the $$ to benefit the team...whoops

The only good thing about this abortion of a deal is that JV gets to leave this smoldering wreck of a franchise behind and thrive elsewhere.

I seriously wonder, as he continues to make headlines in Houston, which hat he would wear going into the HOF. 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

You do realize that both CastroW and Rogers were not the best options at their respective positions last season, right?  And you do realize that, comparisons to other positional options aside, they were both clearly overmatched at the plate, and Rogers had some rough outings behind the plate as well, right?  They don't really looked developed.

Yes, that was last year.  But if Avila signs someone like Harrison for a "stopgap" at SS so they can keep Castro down at AAA, is he really going to be an improvement?  I just don't want to see any more Josh Harrison signings.  

Throwing MiLB players out there who are clearly overmatched violates the ....in my view...sacrosanct responsibility to field a major league team when you're charging major league prices.  I'm not saying everyone hs to be a proven MLB quality player, but when a guy clearly proves he's not...ship him back to the minors to work on his game

4 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Throwing MiLB players out there who are clearly overmatched violates the ....in my view...sacrosanct responsibility to field a major league team when you're charging major league prices.  I'm not saying everyone hs to be a proven MLB quality player, but when a guy clearly proves he's not...ship him back to the minors to work on his game

Its a case be case thing, too.

CastroW is only 22.  I think the Tigers can be patient until he has the hitting figured out.

Rogers will be 25 on Opening Day.  Same thing, plus his catching skills didn't look so good.

Candelario?  Sink or swim this season.  He's had some success in the majors.  His clock is running out.

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Its a case be case thing, too.

CastroW is only 22.  I think the Tigers can be patient until he has the hitting figured out.

Rogers will be 25 on Opening Day.  Same thing, plus his catching skills didn't look so good.

Candelario?  Sink or swim this season.  He's had some success in the majors.  His clock is running out.

Castro is a real wild card.  Just using former Tigers players as reference, it seems to me that his upside is Omar Infante, which would be very nice.  However, he could easily turn out to be another Ramon Santiago--very solid utility guy, but no one you can count on.  At his age, it's very hard to predict.

I expected Rogers to struggle with the bat, but was surprised by his defensive issues.  Maybe he was preoccupied by his hitting (which was embarrassing/discouraging as he looked silly often).  I'm encouraged by his power potential and the fact that he is one of the few Tiger prospects who will take a walk.  Much too early to give up on him--I'd like to see him back at Toledo for at least half the season.

I'm bullish on Candelario--he has shown he can hit with power and patience.  He's also a solid defensive player.  I don't think he'll hit enough to play 1B full time and it will be criminal if the Tigers play Lugo at 3B instead.  In another lost season, give him 500 AB's and leave him alone.  Not blocking anyone (yet).

On 11/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, 1776 said:

Rogers, Griener, nor Hicks is anything to rely on going forward. Rogers is slated to be the starter when all is said and done if nothing else changes. Why not sign a Matt Weiters or Steven Vogt to a contract for the sake of helping Rogers and/or Greiner along. If they had some guy to lean on a bit at their stage of development it would be an investment for the future. To wait for one of these guys to just figure out on their own isn’t going to work out I don’t think. 

So Avila says the Tigers are looking to sign a veteran catcher to help Greiner and Rogers out at the MLB level. Just a thought, could Alex Avila be that guy? I’m seeing that he is a FA now. 

12 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Sure you do, just because someone is better doesn't mean they are ready. 

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

And that's what usually happens when you trade very high level players. It's why many of us railed against trading JV in 2009, 10, 14, 15 etc. 

Schoop for 2B.

Bring Mercer back for SS.

Avila to C?  Sure, why not, but might need a 3rd C as well.

What else?  Let's knock out the free agent shopping before Black Friday.

11 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Sure you do, just because someone is better doesn't mean they are ready. 

But in your analogy you had someone skip like 3 levels.  Someone going from like 8th to 11th grade.  That would be saying a guy going from single-A to the Majors.  I'm proposing someone going from AAA to the Majors, which is the next logical step.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

But in your analogy you had someone skip like 3 levels.  Someone going from like 8th to 11th grade.  That would be saying a guy going from single-A to the Majors.  I'm proposing someone going from AAA to the Majors, which is the next logical step.  

Sure.  When they are ready.  Did Rogers or CastroW look ready to you?  Are there contractual reasons (ie, out of minor league options) to bring them up now?

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Sure.  When they are ready.  Did Rogers or CastroW look ready to you?  Are there contractual reasons (ie, out of minor league options) to bring them up now?

I don't really think more time in the minors is going to have a huge impact on the type of Major League players they will be.  

Just now, bobrob2004 said:

I don't really think more time in the minors is going to have a huge impact on the type of Major League players they will be.  

I'd say that's absolutely foolish.  Did either of those players look ready to you?  Just be honest and say no.  We all saw it.  They aren't ready.

Just now, Casimir said:

I'd say that's absolutely foolish.  Did either of those players look ready to you?  Just be honest and say no.  We all saw it.  They aren't ready.

Agree to disagree.