IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

37 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Puig is a Known Baseball Player.  We have very few of those...those kind of "hot damn...I've heard of him" signings boost ticket sales until people see that he's but a shell of what he once was.

If he can't play 5 different positions, the Tigers won't be interested.

9 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Unfortunately for Miggy ..he may be out just about the same time the Tigers become great again.  Too bad for Miggy.

Miggy has a World Series ring, 2 MVPs, a Triple Crown, multiple all-stars, and will get in the HOF.  There is no "too bad for Miggy" here.  

46 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Puig is a Known Baseball Player.  We have very few of those...those kind of "hot damn...I've heard of him" signings boost ticket sales until people see that he's but a shell of what he once was.

He's still an exciting player and I believe he is capable of having a very good season any year.  He seems like the classic flip player.  He is also fun to watch.  I know that phrase is a standing joke here, but he legitimately is fun to watch!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He's still an exciting player and I believe he is capable of having a very good season any year.  He seems like the classic flip player.  He is also fun to watch.  I know that phrase is a standing joke here, but he legitimately is fun to watch!

0 grit and scrappiness. 

Pass

15 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

0 grit and scrappiness. 

Pass

OK, Mr Gardenhire.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Miggy has a World Series ring, 2 MVPs, a Triple Crown, multiple all-stars, and will get in the HOF.  There is no "too bad for Miggy" here.  

But what about the fact that he is only going to make 30-32 million a year for the rest of his career despite producing at an OPS+ level in the 90s? 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think of Yoenis Cespedes' potential as a comp.

10 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

My "Too bad for Miggy" comment was more sarcasm than not!

However, it boggles my mind that you totally brush off the likely possibility that Miggy will retire from the game without winning a World Championship with the Tigers.  We all saw how Max and Anibal felt after ''finally'' winning one.

Money, Awards, and HoF are terrific accomplishments over an elite baseball career.  But no World Championship with the Tigers may be something Miggy will look back upon with some semblance of regret!

19 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

My "Too bad for Miggy" comment was more sarcasm than not!

However, it boggles my mind that you totally brush off the likely possibility that Miggy will retire from the game without winning a World Championship with the Tigers. 

He won a championship with Florida.  

22 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Are we sure that's its the same guy?

dec303f04f63cecae6ecfb863b1459b6.jpg

The difference is pretty remarkable.  

I'm trying to put a realistic number on the weight gain.  How much would be weigh there, 205?  He looks like 6'3" , 205, like Ali in 1963.  What does he weigh now?  It's so hard to judge, but 265 is pretty conservative, could be 280.  He was definitely going to gain some weight in his early 20's, probably 30 pounds to 235.  That should have been the limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, six-hopper said:

But what about the fact that he is only going to make 30-32 million a year for the rest of his career despite producing at an OPS+ level in the 90s? 

It wouldn't hurt if he lost 40 pounds. He is fat

21 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

His nickname is Wild Horse.  In today's age of cheap and cruddy nicknames via shortened real names (ARod, MadBum, Cabby, etc), Wild Horse is a refreshing godsend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Casimir said:

His nickname is Wild Horse.  In today's age of cheap and cruddy nicknames via shortened real names (ARod, MadBum, Cabby, etc), Wild Horse is a refreshing godsend.

yes, it is.  Modern nicknames are horrible.  

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He won a championship with Florida.  

I know he did.  But as I keep saying ..he did not win a championship with the Tigers.

7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I know he did.  But as I keep saying ..he did not win a championship with the Tigers.

But you compared him to Scherzer and Sanchez who had not won a championship before.  That's different than not winning with a given team.  Lots of great players have not won championships with a given team.  I am not going to feel bad for Cabrera for that reason.  

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

If I were a player, I wouldn't care who I won a championship with.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

If I were a player, I wouldn't care who I won a championship with.  

I'd think you'd care to a point. 

If you spent 15 years with one team and didn't win you'd be sad and then went and Karl Malone'd it.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:37 AM, Shelton said:

I’m not really saying anything new here that people haven’t already said, but I just have so little interest in what this organization does this offseason. It’s all so pointless. Frankly, there is little they can do this offseason that will affect their ability to build a winner in the coming years. They can’t sign anyone. They can’t trade for anyone. They can’t accelerate the progression of their limited number of decent prospects. 

Once the season actually starts it may be mildly interesting to follow a few of the guys like Boyd and Norris to see if they can become tradeable assets. Maybe some of the borderline guys like niko and Lugo and jeimer and willi and reyes and JaCoby can prove to be second division regulars, but even that is doubtful. 

This whole thing is rotten.

For a guy who had been so optimistic even in the face of the obvious crumbling of the franchise just a couple years ago, this is a h*** of a declaration.

In follow-up to another point you made, the fact that the only thing we are rooting for is guys to do well just to see what they get us back in trade? That's everything you need to know about the state of this once proud franchise. This is the bottom, and just because we hit it doesn't mean we'll bounce right back up from it. It's almost possible that we take up residence down here for a while, even if some of the primo chickens we've been counting actually hatch.

It's becoming more objectively clear that only a sale and a clean sweep of the front office can have even a chance to fix it at this point.