IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Or how about Dixon Machado, Jonathon Crawford or Andrew Romine. If they want to keep tanking there are plenty of options

At first I was a little surprised, thinking that neither of them actually ended up having a very good season. Then I looked through the roster for another candidate and decided they probably got it right after all... ?

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Or how about Dixon Machado, Jonathon Crawford or Andrew Romine. If they want to keep tanking there are plenty of options

Machado raked in the PCL, just like everyone else.  Romine pulled that all-9 stunt, so he's about as welcome as Shane Halter. 

Travis Snider is a guy who, years ago, was "the best young pure hitter blah blah blah". 

2 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

At first I was a little surprised, thinking that neither of them actually ended up having a very good season. Then I looked through the roster for another candidate and decided they probably got it right after all... ?

2 hours ago, leflore said:

An all time terrible roster

73F8EA71-ED73-4499-A17A-DFFE9EB84932.thumb.png.ecc0dea1274d8ef3c963c3fee3df8728.png

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Devon Travis is a FA.  He would be a decent player if he could stay in one piece, which he can't.

getting him off plastic grass may help; Gose should be signed so writers have something to write about in Spring Training

Odd that Matthew Boyd is Tiger of the year while Matthew Stafford is the obvious choice for MVP on the Lions... and their wives are both very involved with charitable work.

Should the Wings and Pistons be scouting Matthew's?

8 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

What's Hernan Perez up to these days?

7 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

about 245

But if he hits his weight, he could be a middle of the order threat for the Tigers.

57 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But if he hits his weight, he could be a middle of the order threat for the Tigers.

Top of the order. The Tigers need that kind of on base threat up there.

I’m not really saying anything new here that people haven’t already said, but I just have so little interest in what this organization does this offseason. It’s all so pointless. Frankly, there is little they can do this offseason that will affect their ability to build a winner in the coming years. They can’t sign anyone. They can’t trade for anyone. They can’t accelerate the progression of their limited number of decent prospects. 

Once the season actually starts it may be mildly interesting to follow a few of the guys like Boyd and Norris to see if they can become tradeable assets. Maybe some of the borderline guys like niko and Lugo and jeimer and willi and reyes and JaCoby can prove to be second division regulars, but even that is doubtful. 

This whole thing is rotten.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Top of the order. The Tigers need that kind of on base threat up there.

That's a good point.  There mightn't be anyone on base for him if he hits in the middle of the order.

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m not really saying anything new here that people haven’t already said, but I just have so little interest in what this organization does this offseason. It’s all so pointless. Frankly, there is little they can do this offseason that will affect their ability to build a winner in the coming years. They can’t sign anyone. They can’t trade for anyone. They can’t accelerate the progression of their limited number of decent prospects. 

Once the season actually starts it may be mildly interesting to follow a few of the guys like Boyd and Norris to see if they can become tradeable assets. Maybe some of the borderline guys like niko and Lugo and jeimer and willi and reyes and JaCoby can prove to be second division regulars, but even that is doubtful. 

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine this morning?

Just now, tiger337 said:

I could watch a few games if Puig were added to the roster.  

Yeah, I think he'd be worth inquiring about.  An OF of Stewart, Jones, Puig, and Reyes would be......., Jebus, Shelton is 1000% correct.

Puig is a Known Baseball Player.  We have very few of those...those kind of "hot damn...I've heard of him" signings boost ticket sales until people see that he's but a shell of what he once was.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

As things currently stand ..Al Avila's track record as the Tiger's General Manager is absolutely atrocious.  The simple fact that Chris Ilitch gave Al an 'open' contract extension because, as Chris said "Al has done a terrific job" tells me all I need to know about Chris Ilitch's competence as the acting owner of the team.

I tried to be optimistic this year but reality is ..reality!  The people running the Tigers are even more inept than the majority of AAAA type players they employ.

On the other hand ..I have to hang on to the 'hope' that the top-tier draft picks that the Tigers obtain with their multiple 'tanking' seasons will eventually result in a World Championship.  Maybe Chris Ilitch and Al Avila determined that nothing else they could have done (besides tanking) from 2017 onward would have ultimately been any more successful toward the goal of a World Champion (except for tanking.)

And maybe ..if tanking was indeed the best conceivable plan (without exceeding $200m+ payroll) ..then hopefully the fruits of the excessive 'tanking' will begin to ripen right about the time Miggy's contract expires.

Unfortunately for Miggy ..he may be out just about the same time the Tigers become great again.  Too bad for Miggy.

37 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Puig is a Known Baseball Player.  We have very few of those...those kind of "hot damn...I've heard of him" signings boost ticket sales until people see that he's but a shell of what he once was.

If he can't play 5 different positions, the Tigers won't be interested.