IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

51 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The 80's era Tigers are the last of the "live in Detroit" generation because they had to get jobs and used their celebrity to get sales rep type positions and built up a network... guys like Wilcox, Petry, Jason Thompson, Rozema...  

Earl Wilson loved Detroit and lived in Detroit after retirement. And he was indeed a sales rep. His reminiscences about growing up in the Jim Crow South, not being able to use bathrooms on bus rides during spring training, and then coming to Detroit where “black people are living the life“ are really touching. 

29 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No player single-handedly wins the championship but being a big part of an organization that develops into a winner seems a lot more satisfying.  I would think you would you develop bonds with your organization, your teammates and the city which makes the experience more meaningful.  Just joining a team that was already a winner and winning a championship is a nice sugar high and ego boost but less meaningful.  

You would like that and I would like that, but different strokes.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That all said and done, living in So Cal would be pretty damned appealing to me.

It's a pleasant area from which to monitor the nation's weather.

went there.... appeared to be a ****hole... had a nice corner, that's it.  Stopped to fill up gas and it appeared I was surrounded by meth heads... maybe that's why Jackson and Glenn were doing there.

19702474_10212669902209950_7347963116020590971_n.jpg

My wife and I went there, too, last fall. Ate at a greasy spoon there. Just another random desert town.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

There was an article on ESPN during the season going in depth about the Trout pick and everything that went into it.  I can't remember the reason but there was a method to their madness on why they took him at 25 instead of 24.   

It was just for negotiating purposes.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

went there.... appeared to be a ****hole... had a nice corner, that's it.  Stopped to fill up gas and it appeared I was surrounded by meth heads... maybe that's why Jackson and Glenn were doing there.

19702474_10212669902209950_7347963116020590971_n.jpg

Where are the cargo shorts?

I wore those the day before... that day we went to some outdoor bear park outside Flagstaff that you drive through, went to Winslow, then a meteor crater, and went back to town.  No need for the pockets.

I have also been through Winslow and it seemed like a really down and out town.  I stopped to fill up and was alarmed by some really nasty looking dogs than ran through there.  I wanted to get back in my car quickly.  

Sedona was awesome.  

15 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I wore those the day before... that day we went to some outdoor bear park outside Flagstaff that you drive through, went to Winslow, then a meteor crater, and went back to town.  No need for the pockets.

Where did you put your meth?

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That all said and done, living in So Cal would be pretty damned appealing to me.

ive been in LA for the last two weeks and can testify to the fact that the weather is very nice indeed.

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Where did you put your meth?

my son's backpack... who's going to search a special need boy's backpack?  It's got it's advantages at times...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

my son's backpack... who's going to search a special need boy's backpack?  It's got it's advantages at times...

Not a bad plan at all. And it keeps you out of cargo shorts so it’s a win-win. 

If the Tigers wanted to invest in a flip candidate to stretch out their starters depth, Josh Lindblom could be an out of the box choice if they can get him for one year and five or less.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers wanted to invest in a flip candidate to stretch out their starters depth, Josh Lindblom could be an out of the box choice if they can get him for one year and five or less.

Well, given his resume, he should be a cheap option.  I'm not sure I'd call him flippable given his lack of domestic success, but I suppose in this day and age, the cheap and short contract qualifies as flippable.

15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Well, given his resume, he should be a cheap option.  I'm not sure I'd call him flippable given his lack of domestic success, but I suppose in this day and age, the cheap and short contract qualifies as flippable.

No pitcher we could sign is guaranteed to be flippable—see Matt Moore and Tyson Ross—so I characterized him as a candidate, although I should have also characterized him as a flyer, because that's what he would be. I know there are other options on the market like Wacha or Nova, but this guy might come a little cheaper.

Of course, there's always the super cheap Devil We Know in Drew Smyly, so I guess if I had to predict the one guy Avila will sign for the rotation, it is he. He's young and an injury rebound candidate based on his Phillies tenure, and even Chris Ilitch wouldn't lose any sleep over flushing 3 mill down the toilet if that's how it ended up.