IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jose Abreu, Madison Bumgarner, Gerrit Cole, Josh Donaldson, Jake Odorizzi, Marcell Ozuna, Anthony Rendon, Will Smith (Giants), Stephen Strasburg, and Zack Wheeler all received qualifying offers.

Interesting that the Yankees didn't offer Didi Gregorious a QO though.   

As a luxury tax payer, they would only get a pick after the 4th round for Didi. The risk/reward analysis just is not in favor of a QO there.

12 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

As a luxury tax payer, they would only get a pick after the 4th round for Didi. The risk/reward analysis just is not in favor of a QO there.

Gotcha, that makes sense then.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wasn't being critical of your post.

I know. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Is QO compensation tiered?  I guess I had either forgotten that and/or missed when that was changed.  I was under the assumption that the salary was X (depending upon the calculation that offseason) for a one yer deal and a compensatory pick between the 1st & 2nd round was given to the team offering the QO (if the player turned it down and signed by the deadline).

14 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

So which of the 9 players would you put Miller ahead of?

None of them influenced the game as much or more than Miller...so all of them

I don’t think Marvin Miller going into the Hall and any given player going into the Hall is a mutually exclusive proposition.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Except Lou, of course.  Say it. Say it! SAY IT!!!

Just last week I was thinking Detroit should get a guy who licks his bats.

Mlb trade rumors speculated that the Tigers will make 1-yr offers to both Wacha and Puig. Pure speculation but interesting. I could see it - would upgrade and bring in potential trade chips. And a guy who licks his bat.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Except without the players, there is no need for a Miller.  Moreover, the players took all the risks, ..not Miller.

Fortunately, it seems each person up for election is voted upon individually.  If that is how it works, then I have no problem if they vote Miller in because obviously any votes for Miller will have no effect upon whether any of the players get voted in. 

Without cows there'd be no leather, without leather there's no gloves, or balls, or shoes....

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Is QO compensation tiered?  I guess I had either forgotten that and/or missed when that was changed.  I was under the assumption that the salary was X (depending upon the calculation that offseason) for a one yer deal and a compensatory pick between the 1st & 2nd round was given to the team offering the QO (if the player turned it down and signed by the deadline).

Revenue sharing recipients get a pick after the first pick if the player signs a contract for more than $50M, after the second round if less than $50M

Revenue sharing payers get a pick after the second round.

Luxury tax payers get a pick after the 4th round.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Finish the following statement:

Without the DTE energy girls, Oblong _______________________

deletes Instagram. 

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Just last week I was thinking Detroit should get a guy who licks his bats.

Mlb trade rumors speculated that the Tigers will make 1-yr offers to both Wacha and Puig. Pure speculation but interesting. I could see it - would upgrade and bring in potential trade chips. And a guy who licks his bat.

I can't see Avila going after Puig. He's too much of a douchebag. 

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Avila or Puig?

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Without the fans, there would be no players, ergo the fans should get voted to the hall first.

Beat me to it.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't think there's any chance the Tigers sign any player who could otherwise play for a contending team, for the obvious reason, but I've also wondered at times whether Detroit itself plays a factor. I've seen from those anonymous player polls in past years that Detroit is considered among the cities they least like to visit, and nice suburbs aside, I wonder whether they could see themselves enjoying living here, especially Latin players.

I'd guess that a common retort to this would be that players will always go where they'll make the most money, but I gotta believe there's some limit to that. Other things being equal, if someone is offered $2 million to come to Detroit versus, say, $1.9 million to play in Chicago, maybe they'd take the Chicago offer, because Chicago >> Detroit from a perceived livability standpoint. I don't know either way, but I have wondered about this.

This all goes out the window, of course, when we talk about outsized contracts like Miggy's.