IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Mattingly and Murphy are the opposite of Evans and Whitaker.  They were elite for a short period but didn't shine for very long, whereas as Whitaker and Evans were very good for a really long time, but were never elite in a season.  I guess you could say that Evans was elite one year, but that was the strike shortened '81 season.  

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Evans has an amazing mustache.

In addition to playing a lockdown RF throughout his career, Evans also had a cameo role in "Behind the Green Door."

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Evans has an amazing mustache.

That's worth a few WAR.  

As for Freehan he's in the in between era spot.... this is the modern era, 70-87... There's a Golden Days Era, (50-69)  Freehan played from 63-76.  Which one do you put him in? He had better years in the Golden Days Era.

• Thanks 1

If you read their bio's from the link, Whitaker's is one of the least compelling.  I still hope he gets in, but many of the other players won MVP's and or/batting titles and amassed pretty solid career stats.

The only thing I know for sure is that Thurman Munson has a better chance on this ballot than he does on the upcoming vote for the aviation hall of fame.

If I remember correctly, the last time Murphy was on the ballot, his son was pushing hard for him on twitter.  He blamed the sabers for Murphy not getting in and seemed to be trolling them.  It was of those cases where the sabers really didn't have anything against Murphy and Young Murphy was just being stupid.  He came off as a entitled douchebag.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Those things count for me.

They should.  For example, Murphy was never the same after he had his Hall of Fame quality mole removed.  

Probably due to my bias, but outside of Lou that seems like an unspectacular list. If I have to pick one besides Lou, I guess I would go with Murphy. I had to look up who Marvin Miller was... 

Murphy had seven straight seasons where his most similar by age was Reggie Jackson.  For whatever that is worth.

image.png.f608928f9a1efb0f97b2114e8cc09a42.png

I said this before but Joe Posnanski had a fun article charting the careers of Dale Murphy and Paul Molitor and compared them to Steve Guttenberg and Tom Hanks... how at one point you would have certainly picked Murphy and Guttenberg to have the better careers but then things turned dramatically.

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They should.  For example, Murphy was never the same after he had his Hall of Fame quality mole removed.  

Was your concern regarding the mole pointed out to Murphy, fils?

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I said this before but Joe Posnanski had a fun article charting the careers of Dale Murphy and Paul Molitor and compared them to Steve Guttenberg and Tom Hanks... how at one point you would have certainly picked Murphy and Guttenberg to have the better careers but then things turned dramatically.

Didn't Bill Simmons do the same bit, but comparing Michael Keaton to Tom Hanks?

14 minutes ago, Oblong said:

As for Freehan he's in the in between era spot.... this is the modern era, 70-87... There's a Golden Days Era, (50-69)  Freehan played from 63-76.  Which one do you put him in? He had better years in the Golden Days Era.

He was an all star more often than he was not in both eras of his career.  6 appearances in his 7 seasons in the golden days era and 5 appearances in his 7 seasons in the modern era.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Was your concern regarding the mole pointed out to Murphy, fils?

I think someone brought it up as a joke and they were told to get back in their basement or something.  He wasn't somebody with whom you could have a good exchange.  It was interesting because his father came across as a humble player in his day.  

19 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Probably due to my bias, but outside of Lou that seems like an unspectacular list. If I have to pick one besides Lou, I guess I would go with Murphy. I had to look up who Marvin Miller was... 

I would say that other than Lou (for whom I have bias) Marvin Miller is the next-most-should-be-in-already candidate.  Free agency as we know it probably wouldn't exist without him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

why isn't Bill Freehan on the ballot?  That's a miss.

You think Evans before Mattingly or Murphy?  A good case could be made for all of those guys.

Freehan is in a weird position.  Half of his career was in what's called the Modern Era (1970-1987), which is what the ballot this year is based on.  The other half was played in what is the Golden Era (1950-1969).  Freehan could be considered a Golden Era player, which won't get voted on again until December 2025.  

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Beat me too it.  ?