IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Rogers, Griener, nor Hicks is anything to rely on going forward. Rogers is slated to be the starter when all is said and done if nothing else changes. Why not sign a Matt Weiters or Steven Vogt to a contract for the sake of helping Rogers and/or Greiner along. If they had some guy to lean on a bit at their stage of development it would be an investment for the future. To wait for one of these guys to just figure out on their own isn’t going to work out I don’t think. 

42 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Buddha has changed since you were last here.  I don't even know him anymore.  

I think Buddha and I changed positions 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Who chooses the backgrounds for these guys?  Is this take at their own home offices or at the studio?

Does Jeff Passan want us to think he's rough with his Rage Against the Machine CD in his bookshelf?  But also want us to think he loves the "great books series" he's got back there?  Who doesn't like to hit the mosh pit after spending the afternoon with the Great Gatsby or Oliver Twist?

Likewise, does Keith Law have the tough but worldy thing going on?  We must all recognize his brazen, non-shaven look, while also seeing his pictures of Paris and Rome in the background.  Well traveled indeed.

My favorite typical Keith Law tweet was when he was talking about Pixar movies and he said he couldn't watch Ratatouille because the accents were NOT Parisian.  He couldn't get over that the cartoon character didn't have the proper Parisian accent.  That sums up arrogant, condescending *** Keith Law in a nutshell.

Probably green screen.  They chose the “douchy, pretentious journalist” backgrounds.

pretty sure that Law still lives in his parent’s basement.

My “bookshelf” is a snapshot of life in 2012 when I moved here and put the books I had there and haven’t touched since.  Looks kind of stupid. 

3 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

The market clearly wasn't there for Harrison and Mercer eventually convinced his team to sign his best friend.  As it turned out, the market was right and Avila was wrong.

It wasn't a matter of Avila waiting out the market for him.  It's more Avila feeling sorry for one of his players' best friend.

Harrison clearly underperformed a lot of expectations from the “experts”.  For the contract that he signed to, a repeat of his 2018 would have been fine.  But he slumped, got hurt, and then lost his job of placeholder.

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Probably green screen.  They chose the “douchy, pretentious journalist” backgrounds.

[Starts taking down similar looking bookshelves]

So...how bout that rule 5 draft?

14 hours ago, 1776 said:

Rogers, Griener, nor Hicks is anything to rely on going forward. Rogers is slated to be the starter when all is said and done if nothing else changes. Why not sign a Matt Weiters or Steven Vogt to a contract for the sake of helping Rogers and/or Greiner along. If they had some guy to lean on a bit at their stage of development it would be an investment for the future. To wait for one of these guys to just figure out on their own isn’t going to work out I don’t think. 

Hicks was DFAd and chose free agency, so I suspect he'll be off to somewhere else.

I think I'd go into next season with Rogers playing every day in Toledo.  If he's going to be the future, they need to get him ready for the majors, not play him in the majors to see if he is ready.  His defense was suspect and his hitting was atrocious.  He sure didn't seem ready.  Unless he shows up in Lakeland and has a considerable improvement to his game, I can't see assuming that he makes the Opening Day roster.

Greiner is likely nothing more than back up fodder.  Pair him with a veteran like you mentioned above, although I don't know if Weiters or Vogt is that other.

Whatever direction they take, they'll need a 3rd catcher on that 40 man at some point.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Hicks was DFAd and chose free agency, so I suspect he'll be off to somewhere else.

I think I'd go into next season with Rogers playing every day in Toledo.  If he's going to be the future, they need to get him ready for the majors, not play him in the majors to see if he is ready.  His defense was suspect and his hitting was atrocious.  He sure didn't seem ready.  Unless he shows up in Lakeland and has a considerable improvement to his game, I can't see assuming that he makes the Opening Day roster.

Greiner is likely nothing more than back up fodder.  Pair him with a veteran like you mentioned above, although I don't know if Weiters or Vogt is that other.

Whatever direction they take, they'll need a 3rd catcher on that 40 man at some point.

Avila is becoming to catching what DD was to bullpens. if they have to start the season with Greiner as the number one they are in  a world of hurt. 

oh, yeah ... I guess they are anyway.

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Avila is becoming to catching what DD was to bullpens. if they have to start the season with Greiner as the number one they are in  a world of hurt. 

oh, yeah ... I guess they are anyway.

Free agent catchers per COTS:

Alex Avila
Welington Castillo
Jason Castro
Francisco Cervelli
Robinson Chirinos
Travis d’Araud
Tyler Flowers *
Yan Gomes *
Yasmani Grandal *
Chris Iannetta *
Miguel Montero
Erik Kratz
Jonathan Lucroy
Russell Martin
Geovany Soto
Brian McCann
Austin Romine

Not sure how complete this list is.  I think both Cervelli and McCann retired.  Hicks isn't listed here or under 1B.  Asterisks are for 2020 options.

I am expecting the Tigers to add about five players we have heard of before this off-season:

catcher who has a good defensive rep and had a decent batting average a couple if times.  

first baseman who hit 20+ home runs a couple of years ago

scrappy middle infielder (or maybe just sign Mercer again)

Pitcher who used to be good before surgery.

Pitcher who once appeared in top 100 prospect lists, but has never been good in majors.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And a hard throwing RH reliever with control issues.

yeah, that's a given.  But that one will be some guy we've never heard of before.  Well most of us.  Edman will have heard of him and tell us he sucks.  

I'll throw out there that they will sign some scrub who was on the team a few years ago and wants to give it another go.... Avila will say something like "He's matured some since the last time, he's familiar with the guys, we think he's going to do well..."... like maybe a Dixon Machado

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am expecting the Tigers to add about five players we have heard of before this off-season:

catcher who has a good defensive rep and had a decent batting average a couple if times.  

first baseman who hit 20+ home runs a couple of years ago

scrappy middle infielder (or maybe just sign Mercer again)

Pitcher who used to be good before surgery.

Pitcher who once appeared in top 100 prospect lists, but has never been good in majors.  

Jonathon Lucroy

Justin Smoak

Mercer

Moore

They already have him on the roster (Jimenez)

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And a hard throwing RH reliever with control issues.

This will be a rule 5 selection.

Would love to see Thurmon Munson get in.  Not sure his numbers dictate this, though he likely could have played at least a few more years.  My all-time favorite, non-Tiger.

Isn't today the day minor-league free agents get sprung?  ("5 days after the World Series ends")

Haven't seen any lists yet.  Anybody know anything?

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

My prediction is Lou, Evans, and Miller get in.

why isn't Bill Freehan on the ballot?  That's a miss.

You think Evans before Mattingly or Murphy?  A good case could be made for all of those guys.