IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

58 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And the Red Wings were ahead of the eventual Stanley Cup-winning St. Louis Blues into January of 2019. 

Detroit teams need to band together and lobby for shorter seasons.

Yeah! Then the Tigers would have finished above KC!

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

And speaking of timing, what were you doing on May 23?

image.png.f879b5d96771de82a997caa20763f1a3.pngimage.png.3ad7f6cb50e5096673bebfb0149c9e9c.png  

Washington was .005 percentage points above Detroit.

Washington went 74-38 (.660) the rest of the regular season.. and the Tigers went 29-84 (.257).

Washington overall post season was 12-3.  (Houston went 10-8)

The Tigers overall post season? ................. BWAHAHAHahahahahahahwwaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa

Total 2019 post season .. .. .. (JV went 1-4)

I remember seeing that 19-31 record for the nationals and thinking to myself “at least I won’t have to see Max Scherzer being happy.“ I was wrong but I’m OK with him being happy.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I remember seeing that 19-31 record for the nationals and thinking to myself “at least I won’t have to see Max Scherzer being happy.“ I was wrong but I’m OK with him being happy.

I am happier for Anibal Sanchez than I am for Max Scherzer.

5 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

If you would have told me three years ago that Anibal Sanchez was going to start a world series game in 2019 I would have laughed. Baseball is a funny game.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

You know, that’s true. I’m really glad he came back. And I am happy for his success. 

2 hours ago, JackPine said:

If you would have told me three years ago that Anibal Sanchez was going to start a world series game in 2019 I would have laughed. Baseball is a funny game.

I would have laughed about as hard as if you had told me that Neifi Perez would get a pinch hit RBI in the 2019 World Series.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And the Red Wings were ahead of the eventual Stanley Cup-winning St. Louis Blues into January of 2019. 

Detroit teams need to band together and lobby for shorter seasons.

5 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Yeah! Then the Tigers would have finished above KC!

No, not enough time to tank. 

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I'm happy I won't have to hear, "yeah Scherzer got a big payday, but Washington will never win a World Series" anymore.  

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I remember in 1987 when the Tigers were about 19-31, I thought they had a pretty good team that should of had a better record than that.  I was right.

I went back to Baseball Reference, and my memory got the best of me.  They were 11-19 at one point, I'm pretty sure that was the time.

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

You know, that’s true. I’m really glad he came back. And I am happy for his success. 

Yup.  Sanchez's baseball career was seemingly over.  And now he's got a ring, and as a significant piece of the team.  Its a good story and makes one appreciate perseverance.

Washington has a couple of other "baseball lifers" like Kurt Suzuki, Howie Kendrick, and Fernando Rodney that finally got a ring as they were playing the back nine of their careers.

I don't think JV's World Series performance impacts his Hall of Fame candidacy, but it is perplexing.  It's not like he has been incapable of winning the "big game," as he did that repeatedly through his Tigers career in the Division/Championship series.  Also, I would consider him one of the better conditioned pitchers, so it doesn't seem like pitching this late into the postseason would be an issue for him.

At least he still has Kate Upton. 

Also, all of this coverage about the 2014 Tigers staff all getting World Series rings after leaving the Tigers, helps validate the opinion that we should not have blown up this team when we did.  We had a very good core, with only one player showing he was in decline (Kinsler).  With some tinkering and willingness to spend, the Tigers might have been in a position to win a Championship.

Now we have the benefit of watching Dawel Lugo, Victor Reyes, Greyson Greiner, etc... get meaningless AB's with very little offensive help forthcoming.

They wouldn't have been able to have kept all of those guys.... plus if they sign Scherzer after 2014 then there's probably no Price deal.  If they didn't sign VMart after 2014 they could have kept JV, Scherzer, JD, and have Adamses, Suarez.... but you also wonder what happens with Porcello... don't know if JV and Max and JD is enough to think this team would have just kept winning.

20 hours ago, Casimir said:

And speaking of timing, what were you doing on May 23?

image.png.f879b5d96771de82a997caa20763f1a3.pngimage.png.3ad7f6cb50e5096673bebfb0149c9e9c.png  

That pythag was foretelling the remainder of the Tigers' season.

For all the "how did this team not win the WS" talk about that era I always go back to the fact that they never had home field advantage in the playoffs except for the '06 WS because of the ASG that year....

Yes they were good but at any single point in time they were never considered the best team and played against teams with better records. Just because you won the division in 2011 doesn't give you any advantage in 2013 or 2014.  The 2014 team was a lot different thant he 2012 team as well.

Those teams had shaky bullpens and too many holes in the lineup....  it wasn't like the starters were all Cy Young contenders either.

We're overrating them.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That pythag was foretelling the remainder of the Tigers' season.

Oh, yes, that does stick out.

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

For all the "how did this team not win the WS" talk about that era I always go back to the fact that they never had home field advantage in the playoffs except for the '06 WS because of the ASG that year....

This, right after the recently ended World Series featured a 7-0 sweep by the road team?

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yup.  Sanchez's baseball career was seemingly over.  And now he's got a ring, and as a significant piece of the team.  Its a good story and makes one appreciate perseverance.

Washington has a couple of other "baseball lifers" like Kurt Suzuki, Howie Kendrick, and Fernando Rodney that finally got a ring as they were playing the back nine of their careers.

Back nine? Rodney is up to a 22nd hole!

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yes they were good but at any single point in time they were never considered the best team and played against teams with better records. Just because you won the division in 2011 doesn't give you any advantage in 2013 or 2014.  The 2014 team was a lot different thant he 2012 team as well.

Those teams had shaky bullpens and too many holes in the lineup....  it wasn't like the starters were all Cy Young contenders either.

We're overrating them.

The rotation was baller, tho.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

We're overrating them.

The 2013 team was the best team of that era, and the one I'm most disappointed didn't go all the way.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Back nine? Rodney is up to a 22nd hole!

Hey, why stop now?  Keep it going until they tear the jersey off of you.

28 minutes ago, Oblong said:

We're overrating them.

The only pitcher in that starting rotation to not win a Cy Young was Anibal Sanchez.  And he finished 4th in voting just one year earlier.