IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

and this is a little bit of an eff you to the statsheads

nats are an old school franchise

I don't know about it being an eff you to the statheads.  The stathead team won 14 more games during the season than the old school franchise.

I do think game 7 is an example of reliever roulette.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, leflore said:

Look how many players were in this series who were drafted and developed by that system. At least a gazillion. Will Detroit ever develop a Soto? 

Will the Tigers ever develop *any* positional player? ?

• Like 2

Couple notes from this morning:

Fenech reports that Tigers are making a manager change at Toledo. Emily says that Rabelo might be the pick.

Fulmer and Jones pulled off the 60 day DL and added to the 40. The roster is at 33.

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so the 4 starters from the 2012 World series losing team are all going to have WS wins with other teams.

Isn't that just spiffy?

Unfortunately it's a little worse than even that. ?

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Couple notes from this morning:

Fenech reports that Tigers are making a manager change at Toledo. Emily says that Rabelo might be the pick.

That would be great.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/10/31/year-after-extending-contract-tigers-fire-triple-toledo-manager-doug-mientikiewicz/4110171002/

“You can’t be this reactionary during a rebuild,” he said of the Tigers’ big-league reconstruction, which depends primarily on talent rising from the farm system.

“How can it be this? That you go from being this great one year (ahead of his extension) and then so bad?”

Mientkiewicz is known for his candor, which, he conceded, perhaps isn’t always appreciated by bosses.

“Did they think I was too negative?” he asked. “I don’t know. I was just being honest.

“Trust me, I did everything I was supposed to do.”

So maybe they fired him because he told them... "yeah, Daz isn't good... none of these ****ers are good..."

Kind of like that Buddy Bell told Randy Smith in 1998 before getting fired.

• Like 2

I think Mientkiewicz's reactive comments lend a bit of credence to the Tigers' decision to fire him.  Also thinking that there must have been negative feedback from at least a couple people who were under Mientkiewicz's authority.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Unfortunately it's a little worse than even that. ?

Plus Kinsler and JD were on last year's Red Sox team.  2014 we had Suarez bouncing between the minors and majors, he hit 49 homers this year.  Rajai Davis had that big homer for Cleveland in 2016.  2014 we also had future all stars Robbie Ray and Corey Knebel on the team.

54 minutes ago, Oblong said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/10/31/year-after-extending-contract-tigers-fire-triple-toledo-manager-doug-mientikiewicz/4110171002/

“You can’t be this reactionary during a rebuild,” he said of the Tigers’ big-league reconstruction, which depends primarily on talent rising from the farm system.

“How can it be this? That you go from being this great one year (ahead of his extension) and then so bad?”

Mientkiewicz is known for his candor, which, he conceded, perhaps isn’t always appreciated by bosses.

“Did they think I was too negative?” he asked. “I don’t know. I was just being honest.

“Trust me, I did everything I was supposed to do.”

So maybe they fired him because he told them... "yeah, Daz isn't good... none of these ****ers are good..."

Kind of like that Buddy Bell told Randy Smith in 1998 before getting fired.

Is it just me, or does the timing of this seem really odd?

33 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I think Mientkiewicz's reactive comments lend a bit of credence to the Tigers' decision to fire him.  Also thinking that there must have been negative feedback from at least a couple people who were under Mientkiewicz's authority.

I seem to remember a similar issue with him when he was managing for the Twins system in Florida. 

Looks like a pattern

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Actually he’s saying, “Thank goodness we got the **** out of Detroit.”

Actually he did an interview that was posted on MLB this morning. 

He answered whatever he was asked. 

49 minutes ago, Casimir said:

And speaking of timing, what were you doing on May 23?

image.png.f879b5d96771de82a997caa20763f1a3.pngimage.png.3ad7f6cb50e5096673bebfb0149c9e9c.png  

Wow, I knew Washington started out slow, but I had forgotten how bad it was.  I am going to steal that.  

16 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Gerrit Cole has a Prince Fielder-ish reaction to losing here, putting on his Team Boras hat

What a nozzle.

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, I knew Washington started out slow, but I had forgotten how bad it was.  I am going to steal that.  

I knew Washington started out poorly and I remember that there was a weekend where Dave Martinez was rumored to be fired.  I thought that it was on the road.  They were swept in 4 on the road against the Mets to fall to 19-31.  So maybe it was supposed to happen then but Washington held back?  

I didn't realize that both Washington and Detroit were 12 games under .500 at the same time.  (That part I stole.)

19 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Gerrit Cole has a Prince Fielder-ish reaction to losing here, putting on his Team Boras hat

I don't doubt the quotes, but he didn't say that stuff in the posted video.  

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

And speaking of timing, what were you doing on May 23?

image.png.f879b5d96771de82a997caa20763f1a3.pngimage.png.3ad7f6cb50e5096673bebfb0149c9e9c.png  

And the Red Wings were ahead of the eventual Stanley Cup-winning St. Louis Blues into January of 2019. 

Detroit teams need to band together and lobby for shorter seasons.