IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

And as long as Ozzie doesn't hug the post and leave a yawning net on the glove side.

I used to have your avatar pic of sawchuk in my office

I will have the game on TV in the background, but I will probably go to bed before it ends.  

I would tell you guys my plans for game 7 tonight but I want to save that surprise for later. 

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I will have the game on TV in the background, but I will probably go to bed before it ends.  

Fun trick.  The MLB At Bat app will not spoil the game for you if you open it up and go straight to the video section if you want to watch in the morning and pick up where you left off.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Me too, but I still don't expect to plunk myself down in front of the TV for 4 hours. I'll likely watch the entire 1st inning to see how the starters look, from then on have the game on in the background so I can monitor the score and pop in when there are runners in scoring position. If the game stays close, I'll probably start watching every at bat from the 7th inning onwards. If not close, I'll join for the 9th inning.

The seventh game of the 1968 World Series took only 2:07

4CB3F769-77BA-4BD8-85D8-C7C9494DBD8A.thumb.jpeg.94cf631c8926170a56bc5b75d4f7eefe.jpeg

Just now, IdahoBert said:

The seventh game of the 1968 World Series took only 2:07

Or as I considered it back then, a "one diaper-change game".  Freehan jumps into Lolich's arm, 16-month me gets joyously tossed in the air and strikes the ceiling fan - was October so wasn't spinning.

At the 45 seconds mark of this clip,  Ernie Harwell and Pee Wee Reese discuss Lolich pitching on 2 days rest and when the Tigers might get someone else warming up.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I would tell you guys my plans for game 7 tonight but I want to save that surprise for later. 

tease.  one question--will it involve Cheezits or any other cheese-flavored snack?

38 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Or as I considered it back then, a "one diaper-change game".  Freehan jumps into Lolich's arm, 16-month me gets joyously tossed in the air and strikes the ceiling fan - was October so wasn't spinning.

That’s a great bit of family lore. 

36 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

At the 45 seconds mark of this clip,  Ernie Harwell and Pee Wee Reese discuss Lolich pitching on 2 days rest and when the Tigers might get someone else warming up.

That is really quite cool. Croatians are tough. I’d have expected nothing less from Mickey. 

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

tease.  one question--will it involve Cheezits or any other cheese-flavored snack?

You’ll just have to wait to find out. 

5 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Somebody leaked it, it's all over CNN.

God dammit

0BCB395C-8483-4662-BC97-DD2ACB8453E5.thumb.jpeg.ffef9df0f5781f18e691ff13fd23d8d5.jpeg
I have no skin in this but I’m going to watch this game anyway. My son and I are both cord cutters but he gets much better reception via antenna on the fourth floor of a corner apartment than I do at ground level surrounded by trees. GO EXPOS!

5 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Fun trick.  The MLB At Bat app will not spoil the game for you if you open it up and go straight to the video section if you want to watch in the morning and pick up where you left off.

No Apps work on my phone because it's permanently in safe mode (because the down volume key doesn't work).   Cell phones and I don't get along.   I don't really care that much anyway. I am curious to see how things turn out and I like watching certain players, but I don't really care who wins.  It's not a case where I need to experience the suspense of live action.  I will just see the highlights tomorrow.  

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Cheezits are not for game 7. Those  are for the Rule V party.  I know it's early, but he got a really good deal.  

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I would seriously throw a Rule 5 party if it wasn't at 10 am on a Thursday.

The Rule V party at Liston's house starts the night before.  It's Rule 5 because Liston got a Rule V banner on sale.  

11 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

I’m old enough to remember when National fans thought Strasburg was too fragile and injury prone to be a good starter.

I sure wouldn't give him a huge long term contract. 

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wow. Really cool. The 1:27:22 mark is memorable moment.

Some of you guys are skipping game 7? While I much prefer it be with a Detroit team, any sport final series game 7 is Christmas for me. And I realize football is 1 game, but that's the Lions and the thought of them in the SB is laughable

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And as long as Ozzie doesn't hug the post and leave a yawning net on the glove side.

I saw Ozzie tend goal several times for the Seattle Thunderbirds in '91-92. It was clear then he had a bright future

Important update: I missed the first inning, watched the 2nd and 3rd innings, listened to the 4th and now with the score 1-0 Houston in the bottom of the 5th I intend to watch it straight through the rest of the way. Except for a 10 minute shower I need to take at some point.