IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Would tomorrow be Scherzer v Greinke?

Scherzer will start but he's a wild card, given how his neck was as recently as yesterday. You probably want to have another guy warming up at the beginning.

18 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The guys on MLB Radio's Power Alley were discussing the Tigers this morning and it was a bleak listen.  Nothing we don't know, but they went through the current roster and tried to think of players that would be part of a good team.  Their conclusion, after a lot of sighs and chuckles, was Reyes as a 4th outfielder and Goodrum as a utility player. For pitchers, maybe Turnbull and Jiminez if they improve. They acknowledged that the arrival of Mize-Manning-Skrubal should be a source of some promise, but could come up with absolutely no reason for excitement on the offense side.

No mention of the overweight professional hitter due $124M over the next 4 seasons?

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wow, Astros just recorded 3 outs on final 4 pitches of the 8th inning. Strasbourg come out for the 9th? 102 pitches.

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Smart to bring Doolittle in to get two outs—lets him get some rust off in case he’s needed tomorrow.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Scherzer will start but he's a wild card, given how his neck was as recently as yesterday. You probably want to have another guy warming up at the beginning.

Good work by Strasbourg to carry the load of the game, especially after that first inning during which he might have been tipping pitches.

Verducci: Two runs in the first inning, nothing thereafter. What was the change you made?

Strasburg: Started shaking my glove so they didn’t know what I was throwing. Obviously, they look for certain things and I just thank Menhart for giving me the tip.

Verducci: […] Tell me about how [Menhart] saw that, or did you recognize that?

Strasburg: I definitely didn’t. It’s something that has burned me in the past, and they burned me there in the first. It’s just a part of the game. You gotta do your best to stay consistent in your delivery on each pitch.

Now Washington has a full bullpen with which to work in game 7.

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Worried about the guy. He had a heart "procedure " during the season.

Oh, and that 2 run homer was karma.

Karma for the umpires properly enforcing the rules of the game?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

matt drews!

"babe" alvarez?

Maybe the two best Tigers of the 90's.... Cecil Fielder and Travis Fryman were both traded for Matt Drews.

The Fryman deal also included Alvarez and Randa.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Verlander is no Mickey Lolich!

Right? It’s a real drag. It’s good that he’s not on this team, though, because he would never have a chance to do great things. The Tigers have become what the Cubs were in the 1950s but without an Ernie Banks to take away the sting.

I just ordered the book that @Edman85 recommended and it will be only the second baseball book I’ve ordered in the last 15 years aside from @tiger337’s book. It’s one day delivery from Amazon so if any school children or nuns carrying babies in crosswalks are struck down by an Amazon vehicle you’ll have me to blame. And @Edman85  

EDIT: Three. I read Moneyball too. So I’m not a total idiot.  

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Good work by Strasbourg to carry the load of the game, especially after that first inning during which he might have been tipping pitches.

Now Washington has a full bullpen with which to work in game 7.

It's worth remembering that the Nationals bullpen was among baseball's worst all the way to the end of the season, and only three guys in there have been pitching worth a damn in the Series.

It's game 7. Anything can happen in game 7. What a strange series. First time in any sport series that the road team has won 6 games, with a chance for it to be 7. And who would have believed Verlander and Cole would lose 3 times in a 6 game stretch? Maybe Anibal or Corbin will pitch tonight. I'm half expecting to see the kitchen sink make an appearance. And at the end of it all I expect Trump to take some credit for the winning team

I’m old enough to remember when National fans thought Strasburg was too fragile and injury prone to be a good starter.

12 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I’m old enough to remember when National fans thought Strasburg was too fragile and injury prone to be a good starter.

I'm old enough to remember Chuck Seelbach. 

Strasberg sure adapted post Tommy John. Was interesting that he pitched the game from the stretch. I'm hoping Fulmer can do similar and find a way to pitch with a less stressful wind up.

14 minutes ago, leflore said:

It's game 7. Anything can happen in game 7. What a strange series. First time in any sport series that the road team has won 6 games, with a chance for it to be 7. And who would have believed Verlander and Cole would lose 3 times in a 6 game stretch? Maybe Anibal or Corbin will pitch tonight. I'm half expecting to see the kitchen sink make an appearance. And at the end of it all I expect Trump to take some credit for the winning team

Corbin and/or Anibal will be warming up early, probably in the first inning to protect against Max being rusty 

As the kids say, it is going to be lit

30 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

He has been fragile and injury prone, but also very good.  This year was the only second time he has reached 200 innings. 

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's worth remembering that the Nationals bullpen was among baseball's worst all the way to the end of the season, and only three guys in there have been pitching worth a damn in the Series.

True.  But all other variables remaining the same, I'd take a rested bullpen over a tired bullpen.  Rested and sucky is probably better than tired and sucky.  Still sucky either way.  But maybe the suckiness isn't as sucky when its rested versus when its tired.

44 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

That's not that old. 

(Is it?)

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Game Seven's are the best.  Really looking forward to this.  Go Nats!

Me too, as long as Rasheed doesn't leave Horry wide open for a 3

43 minutes ago, Casimir said:

True.  But all other variables remaining the same, I'd take a rested bullpen over a tired bullpen.  Rested and sucky is probably better than tired and sucky.  Still sucky either way.  But maybe the suckiness isn't as sucky when its rested versus when its tired.

No doubt. Let's no confuse rested with strength, though. They're still a klugey pen.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

No doubt. Let's no confuse rested with strength, though. They're still a klugey pen.

Well...... They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

2 hours ago, leflore said:

Me too, as long as Rasheed doesn't leave Horry wide open for a 3

And as long as Ozzie doesn't hug the post and leave a yawning net on the glove side.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Game Seven's are the best.  Really looking forward to this.  Go Nats!

Me too, but I still don't expect to plunk myself down in front of the TV for 4 hours. I'll likely watch the entire 1st inning to see how the starters look, from then on have the game on in the background so I can monitor the score and pop in when there are runners in scoring position. If the game stays close, I'll probably start watching every at bat from the 7th inning onwards. If not close, I'll join for the 9th inning.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Me too, but I still don't expect to plunk myself down in front of the TV for 4 hours. I'll likely watch the entire 1st inning to see how the starters look, from then on have the game on in the background so I can monitor the score and pop in when there are runners in scoring position. If the game stays close, I'll probably start watching every at bat from the 7th inning onwards. If not close, I'll join for the 9th inning.

thank you for that.