IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Bruce Bochy has indicated he wants to manage again after this year. 

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you wanted to take a cynical view of current culture, you'd tell him to announce he had a drinking problem and check himself into rehab for a few months (and who knows, maybe he even does....). He'd emerge a much more marketable commodity than he is as of now.

he'll have to wear a hairshirt, flog himself with a whip, and walk barefoot through los angeles and pray at the foot of an andrea dworkin statue.  then the feminist professors can all spit on him for two days.  if youre going to do penance, might as well go the full henry ii.

will no one rid me of this turbulent sports reporter!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Bruce Bochy has indicated he wants to manage again after this year. 

Will he bring Bumgarner with him?

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

In fairness, the crowd was probably pretty spent by then.  4 hours for a 5 run game that started at 8pm?  I also wonder the swing of emotions had Osuna come into a one run deficit rather than a decent lead.

Yeah, maybe that might have fired them up more. But I would have thought the domestic violence would have been the trigger. Maybe the Taubman thing deflected some of that attention away from Osuna in some ironic way.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, maybe that might have fired them up more. But I would have thought the domestic violence would have been the trigger. Maybe the Taubman thing deflected some of that attention away from Osuna in some ironic way.

I think it does in some weird way.  I don’t know if it’s because of recency.  Or maybe it’s  best it’s the reaction of a reaction to the crime (somewhat similar to how a cover up is sometime soon considered worse than the original crime).  I don’t know.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:31 PM, Casimir said:

Will he bring Bumgarner with him?

The whole Bochy retiring thing was too obvious. The sole reason he announced his retirement is because he was in the last year of his contract and knew very well that Farhan Zaidi was going to want SF to go in another direction. Everyone was happy and saved face this way. He never wanted to leave managing to begin with. He’s a good baseball man and I’ll be anxious to see where things go from here.

With Bochy gone I don’t know what Bumgarner thinks of returning to SF if the chance is offered. Some local here-say is that he wants to play somewhere closer to home. 

At least Don Kelly will be happy to be a part of a World Series championship team. That’s the only solace for me in this World Series.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You could get the next coming of best features of John McGraw, Casey Stengal and Joe McCarthy combined and they still are losing 100+ games.

Who, the Tigers?

I agree that we're going to suck regardless of the manager but that shouldn't stop you from trying to get a better one. 

I mean if we had Mike Trout we'd still finish last but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get him if you could. 

I think as long as it doesn't effect the team long term you should try to improve your team anyway you can no matter how little that is.  If a better manager can bring 2 extra wins and only cost money that won't effect us down the road you might as well do it, particularly if he's somebody you can keep for many years.  

59 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If a better manager can bring 2 extra wins and only cost money that won't effect us down the road you might as well do it, particularly if he's somebody you can keep for many years.  

So what you are suggesting is that the Tigers should fire their current manager who still has a year remaining on his contract ..just to sign a new manager so they can lose 115 games instead of 116 games?

2 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

So what you are suggesting is that the Tigers should fire their current manager who still has a year remaining on his contract ..just to sign a new manager so they can lose 115 games instead of 116 games?

If it's a great manager who can help them beyond 2020, why not? 

Of course, I am mostly playing devil's advocate here since I am notoriously in the manager's don't matter camp.  

• Like 1

If you are sure you can get a better manager, by all means.  Heck, if there is someone young you want to develop into the role, I'm all ears.

But it doesn't matter for this lot in 2020.

Jason Beck’s response, in part, to an inquiry about where the Tiger’s analytics department is nowadays. My concern from the beginning is expressed below.

“So far, the Tigers face a recurring problem on the analytics front: Every team is in on it, and most of them enjoyed a significant head start. For all Detroit is doing, other teams also are advancing, meaning Detroit is still playing catch-up according to many outside the organization. If and when the Tigers catch up, simply doing the same thing as everyone else isn’t going to gain to edge, at least in terms of player acquisition. The initial purpose of the analytics revolution was to identify market inefficiencies that others were missing. When every team does the same thing and reaches the same evaluation, there’s a risk of groupthink. The Tigers need a creative edge, a distinguishing factor.”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1776 said:

Jason Beck’s response, in part, to an inquiry about where the Tiger’s analytics department is nowadays. My concern from the beginning is expressed below.

“So far, the Tigers face a recurring problem on the analytics front: Every team is in on it, and most of them enjoyed a significant head start. For all Detroit is doing, other teams also are advancing, meaning Detroit is still playing catch-up according to many outside the organization. If and when the Tigers catch up, simply doing the same thing as everyone else isn’t going to gain to edge, at least in terms of player acquisition. The initial purpose of the analytics revolution was to identify market inefficiencies that others were missing. When every team does the same thing and reaches the same evaluation, there’s a risk of groupthink. The Tigers need a creative edge, a distinguishing factor.”

I think this has always been a concern.  Once they catch up to everybody, they've only just caught up to everybody, at best.  Along the way, they have to figure something out to get some kind of advantage over the other teams.  The earlier draft picks will be helpful as far as acquiring talent, but only so much.  If they can't figure something out with development, then what?

11 hours ago, 1776 said:

Wow, what a surprise.