IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The Performance Science department is new.

Any feel for how many other organizations don't have one yet?

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Resume of their Director of Performance Science is pretty impressive:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgia-giblin-99330490/

Just hired in September...

And here is an open job https://www.teamworkonline.com/baseball-jobs/baseballjobs/detroit-tigers/performance-science-associate-1964852

That's great - what an awesome job! 

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Any feel for how many other organizations don't have one yet?

Honestly, I don't know.

I do know that my school's athletic department and mechanical engineering department just joined forces for something similar, which I found to be pretty cool.  It looks like the Tigers have been sharing with UM on this stuff for a couple years now.

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Resume of their Director of Performance Science is pretty impressive:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgia-giblin-99330490/

Just hired in September...

And here is an open job https://www.teamworkonline.com/baseball-jobs/baseballjobs/detroit-tigers/performance-science-associate-1964852

yeah, those are the kinds of people you want them to hire.  I remember they had just one analyst like 10 years ago.  I looked him up and he was a political science major (or something like that) who just liked to play with baseball stats.  

I believe this sports science department grew out the tigers collaboration with the university of Michigan that has been going on over the past couple of years. The position and title may be new, but it isn’t just starting now. 

Of note, Giblin’s fellowship at UM was funded by the tigers and she was stationed in Lakeland. 

Those are the kinds of things that's very encouraging.  Sure everyone else is doing it too but it's something they didn't have to do.  You build the necessary foundation of the "little people" and that is what makes it work, the people at the top can come and go....

I have this hope that it's like this analogy.... until the cooks can make a better apple pie, which they are working on, we'll keep serving this crap for now.  It takes time for this to work.  That's why Avila's extension was a non issue.  He can be replaced anytime if Chris wants to.

I showed an interest in that stuff back in college, but the technology wasn't there and when I asked my professor at the time who was researching that stuff he didn't really know anybody studying it in detail at the time.  Times have changed.

"That stuff" being the ties between biomechanics and analytics.

16 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Diplan, Stokes, and McKay come to mind.

The timing is basically procedural. Guys free agent eligible need to be cut now. There's restrictions on outrighting free agent eligible players after free agency starts.

Edit: Diplan would be FA eligible, so if they were going to outright him it would have been today.

What are these restrictions?

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

image.png.285286102dee3db024dee5e0378eda8a.png

Thanks. By that wording, that wouldn’t prevent the team from releasing the player, right?

In the case of Diplan, I think they probably assume he would be claimed, so it probably never reaches the outright phase and it makes no difference. 

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

They need to stick with Diplan.  

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

20-500 players.  

These are quality posts.

18 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t condone what he said but how ridiculous that it’s perfectly acceptable for Osuna to continue to earn a MLB paycheck and instead it will be Taubman who is most likely blackballed from working in baseball.

Yeah, interesting, isn't it?

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

I hope the Tigers don't run out of room on the 40 man 

Its been changed to the XL man roster.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Nats value scouting over analytics

Sweet.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Its been changed to the XL man roster.

1DB74D74-1B32-4F05-B6FF-ACA1EFE1D087.png.84c541c558bc55b1baf887f3c4bb5685.png

On 10/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, Scottwood said:

Taubman was a future GM in MLB. I wonder if that is it for him.

If you wanted to take a cynical view of current culture, you'd tell him to announce he had a drinking problem and check himself into rehab for a few months (and who knows, maybe he even does....). He'd emerge a much more marketable commodity than he is as of now.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you wanted to take a cynical view of current culture, you'd tell him to announce he had a drinking problem and check himself into rehab for a few months (and who knows, maybe he even does....). He'd emerge a much more marketable commodity than he is as of now.

He can still head up an analytics department at Barstool.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No, I don't think Taubman's coming back from this one, not for a while anyway. This is not like crashing a car into a light post while drinking. This is (drunken?) public verbal abuse of another human being while in the workplace. Even if he's hired for his talent and buried in a front office, the moment it gets out, all this is coming up again, and I don't think we're in an era in which an organization wants to withstand the criticism for that. Maybe in some post-hyperbole era in a decade or two, but not any time soon, I don't think.

Speaking of all this, while I did hear a few boos when Osuna came in to relieve in Washington last night, I would have thought the boos would have been raining down on him with gusto every time he touched the ball. But I didn't hear that happen.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Speaking of all this, while I did hear a few boos when Osuna came in to relieve in Washington last night, I would have thought the boos would have been raining down on him with gusto every time he touched the ball. But I didn't hear that happen.

In fairness, the crowd was probably pretty spent by then.  4 hours for a 5 run game that started at 8pm?  I also wonder the swing of emotions had Osuna come into a one run deficit rather than a decent lead.