IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Astros fire Taubman

425CD551-63E1-4F0C-BA13-23DDE720EC3E.png

I don’t condone what he said but how ridiculous that it’s perfectly acceptable for Osuna to continue to earn a MLB paycheck and instead it will be Taubman who is most likely blackballed from working in baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Their five free agents will bring it down to 29:

Ross

Moore

Mercer

Beckham

Jackson

It could go a lot lower without them losing anyone that matters.  

Fulmer and Jones off the 60-Day will bring it back to 31. 

32 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t condone what he said but how ridiculous that it’s perfectly acceptable for Osuna to continue to earn a MLB paycheck and instead it will be Taubman who is most likely blackballed from working in baseball.

As Bigg's pointed out, I think it is perfectly acceptable for the Astro's to have fired him for the lack of professionalism he displayed in being vehemently obscene and probably drunk in public. I just wish that could be clearly separated from the interpretation that he was fired because by his actions he was not sufficiently woke about DV. I'm fine with the first, the 2nd I don't much care for for reasons I've stated, but you can't get the eggs back out of the mayonnaise now.

So, the following true statements can be true.

Taubman was a dick when he gloated about Osuna.

The Astros PR department **** the bed this week.

Sanctimonious baseball writers on twitter went overboard on this whole thing to the point where I went on an unfollowing binge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'm sure there will be more players that have shown themselves DFA worthy by the time Fulmer is ready to come off the 60day.......

:dead:

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm sure there will be more players that have shown themselves DFA worthy by the time Fulmer is ready to come off the 60day.......

:dead:

Diplan, Stokes, and McKay come to mind.

The timing is basically procedural. Guys free agent eligible need to be cut now. There's restrictions on outrighting free agent eligible players after free agency starts.

Edit: Diplan would be FA eligible, so if they were going to outright him it would have been today.

Speaking of Fulmer has anybody heard about his progress?  I don't think Ive come across a single article about him since the injury was announced.  

Do people know why 4 of the guys were granted free agency today, but 4 have to wait until next week to be free agents?

16 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't think you can really know much about a TJs success during rehab. Most are successful but still, whether the player has lost command or can get his velocity back doesn't become known until he starts throwing competitively, and even then things may not level out for the better part of a season for some guys.

47 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I checked again now and I think it's going be at 33 including the DL guys and minus the free agents.   Is that correct?  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I checked again now and I think it's going be at 33 including the DL guys and minus the free agents.   Is that correct?  

Yeah, 33.

31 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They need to stick with Diplan.  

Team could use an oil change, tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Source?

He's 33 and was already the assistant GM of arguably the best organization in MLB. He, along with Chaim Bloom from the Rays, were among the rising front office stars in the game.

10 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Do people know why 4 of the guys were granted free agency today, but 4 have to wait until next week to be free agents?

I’m guessing you found this out by now, but the immediate four are article XX-D players, having been outrighted a second time or having accrued three years of service. Hicks and Hardy and Stumpf have three years of service. Alcantara was outrighted before. Hardy has also been outrighted before so qualifies both ways. 

Edit: Can’t tell from the wording of you post if you already knew and were quizzing the board or if you were asking why. Seems like the kind of thing you typically know so I assume the former.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I’m guessing you found this out by now, but the immediate four are article XX-D players, having been outrighted a second time or having accrued three years of service. Hicks and Hardy and Stumpf have three years of service. Alcantara was outrighted before. Hardy has also been outrighted before so qualifies both ways. 

Edit: Can’t tell from the wording of you post if you already knew and were quizzing the board or if you were asking why. Seems like the kind of thing you typically know so I assume the former.

I was quizzing.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I’m guessing you found this out by now, but the immediate four are article XX-D players

20-500 players.  

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

From the Department of Encouraging Signs: Looks like the light bulb might be brightening a bit.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/job-posting-tigers-player-development-coach/

The job description says all the right things. Fingers crossed they get a good hire and follow through well.

Cool, thanks for posting