IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

55 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Dear God, not the 2019 Tigers leader in relief innings pitched 

It was a tough decision, but those are the choices you have to make when you are loaded with young talent.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

What about Victor Reyes and Harold Castro?  

I like Reyes' work ethic and think he has a chance to become an average major leaguer. As well as Castro hit (.291 ba) his ops was still south of .700 and his overall war -0.1. I'd think maybe he could stick as a 25th man on a contender but the odds are long. And if Reyes doesn't learn to take a walk his odds are probably long too. Like most everyone I have hope that Parades will produce. Look at Houston's roster - and they are down 2-0. As stacked as they are they also have 6 years of control on newer guys Alvarez and Tucker - both probably better than any batting prospect in Detroit's entire system

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Parades too, and if he doesn't work out as a player we can enter him as a float in the Santa Claus parade.

Horse ****.  Might as well use Cabrera and get some kind of use of that contract.

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I hadn't seen this:

I am truly fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to play for such a great organization, in front of such amazing fans, and to have lived in such a great city! Our family is excited to see where we land next season; Thank you Detroit

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Parades too, and if he doesn't work out as a player we can enter him as a float in the Santa Claus parade.

oh I see a Parades in the parades

Reyes and Castro ceiling is as 4th OF and utility guy, respectively.

We have two position players in the entire organization that carry little risk--Paredes and Greene.  Cabby, too, if he can shed 25 lbs.

Everyone else either has flaws and/or sucks.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Astros fire Taubman

425CD551-63E1-4F0C-BA13-23DDE720EC3E.png

I'm sure this is a welcome distraction from their ****ty WS performance so far.

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Reyes and Castro ceiling is as 4th OF and utility guy, respectively.

We have two position players in the entire organization that carry little risk--Paredes and Greene.  Cabby, too, if he can shed 25 lbs.

Everyone else either has flaws and/or sucks.

I agree.  I was being facetious.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, Chili Mac Davis said:

Taubman will lose his job over this.

I really went out on a limb on this one, didn't I ? ?

I've also got Washington winning in 5 and Trump in a landslide. In case you were wondering.

• Like 1

Victor Alcantara, John Hicks Elect Free Agency
By Mark Polishuk | October 24, 2019 at 4:25pm CDT

Right-hander Victor Alcantara and first baseman John Hicks have elected to become free agents rather than accept outright assignments to Triple-A, the Tigers announced.  Left-handers Daniel Stumpf and Blaine Hardy also chose to test the open market, as reported earlier today.

Alcantara posted a 4.85 ERA over 42 2/3 innings for Detroit in 2019, with an impressive 53.6% grounder rate that was undermined by a lack of missed bats (5.06 K/9) and a difficulty in keeping the ball in the yard (17.8% HR/FB rate) when he did allow a fly ball.  Alcantara’s minor league numbers reveal more strikeouts and more walks allowed than he delivered at the MLB level, though his improved control seems to be resulting in more contact and more mistakes being taken out of the park.

Hicks seemed like an intriguing building block for the Tigers as a player who could at least split time between catching and first base, though while his bat played well for a catcher, a decrease in time behind the plate (Hicks played exclusively at first base in 2019) lessened his effectiveness.  Hicks only hit .210/.240/.379 over 333 plate appearances last season, a big step down from his more respectable .262/.317/.416 slash line over 502 PA in 2017-18.

MLBTR’s arbitration projections put Hicks in line for a $1.7MM salary in 2020, which the Tigers will now sidestep.  Between the projected costs for Hicks, Stumpf, and Hardy, Detroit’s projected arbitration costs have already dropped by a cumulative $4.3MM.

Anyone else kind've suspicious that 2020 might be a tank season?

Just now, tiger337 said:

More roster purging:

Jeebus, same wavelength.  Sorry for your luck.

Their five free agents will bring it down to 29:

Ross

Moore

Mercer

Beckham

Jackson

It could go a lot lower without them losing anyone that matters.  

1 minute ago, leflore said:

Guessing we'll see some different aaaa players next season

New deck chairs for the Titanic?  Sweet!

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

29 guys.  Is there a limit to how many rule V guys they can draft?

We have a lot of guys to protect, too.

Garbage out and garbage in? If no better stop gaps are signed I would think 100+ losses will be expected again.

59 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Detroit’s projected arbitration costs have already dropped by a cumulative $4.3MM.

Can Chris I now afford a 3rd airplane?

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Guessing we'll see some different aaaa players next season

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.