IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

When a guy's made $275M and has another $120+M coming to him.... I truly wonder if all that work he's going to have to do will be worth it to him?  Especially playing for a ****ty team. 

Yes, because most people dont like being trashed by others

35 minutes ago, Oblong said:

When a guy's made $275M and has another $120+M coming to him.... I truly wonder if all that work he's going to have to do will be worth it to him?  Especially playing for a ****ty team. 

That’s a fair question. It does sound like he is aware of what he needs to do. Without knowing what his traditional training entails, it could be as simple as just doing it differently, and not necessarily an increased workload. Nutrition is a different story. 

The reason I'm skeptical is why didn't he do it before now?  It takes a lot of dedication and discipline.  I assume the working out part of it is something he can do as he seems to do it already based on his instagram account and it's a macho thing to do.  Especially in the off season when he's got nothing else to do and he's in beautiful Miami.  But come July when maybe the daily workouts are not what they uesd to be and  he's on a losing team and playing everyday and gets home at 11 pm and frustrated from the game and his knee hurts and he wants a cheeseburger or a dessert....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

It passes the smell test to me.

Guy (Taubman) is aggravated at someone (Reporter) for what they did a few months ago relating to his job performance (Speaking out about DV in direct relation to a person you hired with DV issues).

Guy is partying and drinking and all ramped up in a celebratory environment.  He's feeling good and strong and accomplished.  Could be drunk.  He sees that person he's aggravated with and goes off on them about what he's aggravated about.  That probably happens every day in bars across the country.

OK, that's fine. Maybe it's just that I'm not around enough people who go off on other people out of the clear blue often enough to imagine it's not unlikely behavior. It has seemed unlikely to me up to now, but hey, what do I know, right?

I'll concede.

34 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The reason I'm skeptical is why didn't he do it before now?  It takes a lot of dedication and discipline.  I assume the working out part of it is something he can do as he seems to do it already based on his instagram account and it's a macho thing to do.  Especially in the off season when he's got nothing else to do and he's in beautiful Miami.  But come July when maybe the daily workouts are not what they uesd to be and  he's on a losing team and playing everyday and gets home at 11 pm and frustrated from the game and his knee hurts and he wants a cheeseburger or a dessert....

Maybe he hasn't done it before now because he never had to do it before to get his Hall of Fame results. Maybe he was one of those guys who could just roll out of bed, show up at the ballpark, and win batting titles. If he didn't have to work at it to do that ...

Maybe another part might is he's already guaranteed all the future money he's going to make in the game, and after 2023, it'll be buh bye, whether he ever goes on another recumbent bike or forgoes another cheeseburger ever again.

And, to your point, I can't imagine he's bull****ting himself his shaping will make any difference in the team making vs missing the playoffs.

The best shape of his life story came early this off-season!  I am not too optimistic Cabrera will get fit.  If he had that kind of discipline, I think he would have done it already.  With the health of his knee, it may be too late anyway.  

I don’t know why I’m even bothering to watch this. I honestly have no stake in it. It’s not my party so I’ll cry if I want to.

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Verlander sucks. After one inning in the World Series he has an 18.00 ERA.

I told you. I told you we should have traded him last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t know why I’m even bothering to watch this. I honestly have no stake in it. It’s not my party so I’ll cry if I want to.

You would cry too, if it happened to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not watching this game but I’m constitutionally unable to root against Justin Verlander. I don’t really want the Astros to win but I don’t want him personally to lose. 

Speaking of beatings, thank God the Astros have Osuna (if they can ever figure out how to get a lead).

17 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The best shape of his life story came early this off-season!  I am not too optimistic Cabrera will get fit.  If he had that kind of discipline, I think he would have done it already.  With the health of his knee, it may be too late anyway.  

He is 50 pounds overweight, eats too much, and drinks too much. Nevermind the knee.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

He is 50 pounds overweight, eats too much, and drinks too much. Nevermind the knee.

Well said.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The purge continues:

Shows how little attention I paid to the Tigers this season.

If someone had asked me this morning who is Nick Ramirez, it would've taken me 20 seconds and a hint in order to remember.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The purge continues:

Dear God, not the 2019 Tigers leader in relief innings pitched 

• Like 1

I gotta tell you I have feelings tied up in hardly any of the guys on the 40. Boyd and Turnbull are too old to be around on the next playoff team. Norris is up there in years too, plus he hasn’t established a track record yet. I dont know about Jake Rogers, since he wasn’t transcendent on defense and he had an A ball stick when he came up, he could go either way. Who knows if Franklin Perez is going to ever be healthy enough. I can wait and see on Willi Castro, I suppose. All the rest, including Miggy, are flotsam and jetsam.

We’re supposed to put all our hopes into basically three pitchers and two position players still buried deep in the system. Are they going to be enough to carry a cast of supporting characters around them to a ring in, what, maybe five years, at least? That’s asking for a lot of faith. 

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I gotta tell you I have feelings tied up in hardly any of the guys on the 40. Boyd and Turnbull are too old to be around on the next playoff team. Norris is up there in years too, plus he hasn’t established a track record yet. I dont know about Jake Rogers, since he wasn’t transcendent on defense and he had an A ball stick when he came up, he could go either way. Who knows if Franklin Perez is going to ever be healthy enough. I can wait and see on Willi Castro, I suppose. All the rest, including Miggy, are flotsam and jetsam.

We’re supposed to put all our hopes into basically three pitchers and two position players still buried deep in the system. Are they going to be enough to carry a cast of supporting characters around them to a ring in, what, maybe five years, at least? That’s asking for a lot of faith. 

What about Victor Reyes and Harold Castro?  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

What about Victor Reyes and Harold Castro?  

Parades too, and if he doesn't work out as a player we can enter him as a float in the Santa Claus parade.

• Haha 1