IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

54 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is a weird response in any event, and when someone reacts in such a manner, it is natural to question if he was sending a message.

Sending a message that he was glad the Astros acquired Osuna (who was good for a 176 OPS+ this year) and  won the pennant that night despite Osuna's rare blown save?  Horrors!   How dare he!  To the Sensitivity Training gulag with him!

The Perpetually Offended Posse of the Indignation Industry rears its ugly head once again. 

Not caring about domestic violence as long as he helps your team win a ball game rears its ugly head once again.

10 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Sending a message that he was glad the Astros acquired Osuna (who was good for a 176 OPS+ this year) and  won the pennant that night despite Osuna's rare blown save?  Horrors!   How dare he!  To the Sensitivity Training gulag with him!

The Perpetually Offended Posse of the Indignation Industry rears its ugly head once again. 

I just saw a woman with a pro-choice tee shirt  kneeling in front of the American flag.  She used the lord's name in vain as she cursed at a cop under her breath.  What has happened to my country?

22 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Not caring about domestic violence as long as he helps your team win a ball game rears its ugly head once again.

bros before hoes

34 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Are you saying these reporters are Christians? No group is a more steadfast member of the Perpetually Offended Posse of the Indignation Industry than them. Back to baseball. 

22 hours ago, leflore said:

I don't know. Maybe because Toledo is an hour from Detroit?

Yes.  So why did Detroit leave Toledo for Evansville?

54 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Wasn't aware they ever did

17 minutes ago, leflore said:

Wasn't aware they ever did

They left Toledo in 1973 and returned in 1987. They were in Nashville for a couple of years during the sabbatical.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

I find it difficult to believe that he that he took the occasion of his team's winning the pennant to make some cryptic dig about domestic violence to female reporters.  If that's what he intended, then he's an idiot.  But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Real patriots support domestic violence as long as it helps their team win, only 10% of people will be brave enough to like or share this! 

Honestly my first take was that he was being sarcastic because the guy blew the save, otherwise he's just a lunatic

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

After a bit of research on Wikipedia, the Evansville franchise was purchased by Larry Schmittou and moved to Nashville. This was in 1984. Basically subpar seasons and low attendance caused Nashville to terminate their relationship.

I guess Toledo was available then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Real patriots support domestic violence as long as it helps their team win, only 10% of people will be brave enough to like or share this! 

Honestly my first take was that he was being sarcastic because the guy blew the save, otherwise he's just a lunatic

That's why I sure would like to know what led up to the statements. If it happened the way everyone is playing it up to have happened—suddenly, out of nowhere and apropos of nothing, Taubman just starts shouting this over and over to three women reporters presumably in a separate area from him—he would be borderline psychotic, at minimum. 

I'm not saying Taubman is justified for doing just that because he wouldn't be, obviously. But normal human beings, especially in position of great public responsibility, just suddenly don't go off unbidden in the way it's being portrayed. Something had to have led up to it. There's got to be a video of the incident, since there were probably at least a dozen video recorders going off in the locker room, which makes it seem even less likely he would have gone off on such a psychotic episode as described.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don't see that at all... they weren't saying "Don't yell at us because we're girls".  The DV aspect doesn't add "an angle" to the issue.  It is the issue.  Taubman was basically saying "**** you for criticizing us for hiring a guy who beats women"

But...in a gender equal world..it isn't the issue.  In other words, I don't think womn should be more offended than men by this idiocy and the behavoir isn't any worse if it was directed at women.  It's an awful thing to say in general...Taubman told the world that winning trumps all with the Astros...I'm nit sure that' th message the franchise wants to project.

29 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Taubman and Crane have apologized 

once some reporters with penises backed up the story they had choice

Now they should be fired.  The insincere public apology under pressure  is an unforgivable sin, one of the worst features of modern American life.  Far better to respond to critics the way Kid Rock does: "Kiss my ***."

I'm a bit in Chasfh's boat on this one. Not that it wasn't a stupid thing to do, but with respect that it make no sense on any level. What it does tell you is that the situation was something that Taubman must have  been brooding about - it was some kind of psychic burr right on the edge of his limbic system inhibition. I mean - OK, maybe you think the modern guilt tripping machine is out of control, that there need to be acceptable routes to rehabilitation - whatever. Serious people have made this kind of argument in the Op-Ed pages of the MSM and no-one is the worse for a little serious consideration around whether the internet has given rise to a new kind of perverse permanent dog house that there is no way out of. But there is a place and time. To be screaming at reporters at a victory celebration is just baffling behavior.

Simply put .. in the reporting/media field ..something considered acceptable if said in the presence of males ..should be equally acceptable in the presence of females. 

And anybody who has a problem with that ..has a personal problem

3 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Simply put .. in the reporting/media field ..something considered acceptable if said in the presence of males ..should be equally acceptable in the presence of females. 

And anybody who has a problem with that ..has a personal problem

and maybe a personnel problem as well.

Ooh, here’s a neat possibility from the conspiracy file:

What if it was actually a player who did this?

I could totally see a player yelling something exactly like this to a female reporter in the sanctuary of a clubhouse. That seems way, way more likely than the #2 guy in Baseball Operations of a data-driven egghead front office doing it. If a player, especially one of the stars, shouted this at a reporter and word got out about it, that would cast a pall over the entire Series and would on some level be at least as big a story as the Series itself. That would be a complete disaster for Baseball, including both the Astros and the Nationals.

So in a moment of quick thinking, Brandon Taubman throws himself on the grenade (or maybe Jeff Luhnow throws him on it in exchange for consideration from Taubman) and pleads with the reporters—one of whom has a duty and an interest to write a story about it—to write that it was Taubman instead of the player who said it, and Taubman will be the one to deal with the public fallout, with a promise to the reporters that the player will be dealt with appropriately in the background—all for the good of the game.

That would help explain a few things, such as why the story did not appear for two days after the incident, and why there’s no counter story with any detail about the incident from the executive or the team. It would help explain why the male Houston writer tweeted a confirmation the incident occurred as written, to enhance his relationship with the players. It would also explain why no video or audio is surfacing from another source and why no one is asking for one.

Normally I wouldn’t go in for this kind of media-based conspiracy, but what makes this different is that baseball media is not journalism like mainstream media is. They’re not there to write exposés of bad player behavior with an interest in biting the hand that feeds them. Baseball writers have an existential interest to protect the game, so I could see the reporters agreeing to this on the conditional promise that the player will be appropriately punished in the background, and visible to the reporters.

I’m not saying I believe this is what’s happening, and who knows, something might come up in the next day or so that completely obliterates this hypothesis. But if the story goes to radio silence from now on and never comes up again, I’m going to wonder, especially if Taubman does not lose his job over this.

This is plausible, right?

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I could totally see a player yelling something exactly like this to a female reporter in the sanctuary of a clubhouse. That seems way, way more likely than the #2 guy in Baseball Operations of a data-driven egghead front office doing it. If a player, especially one of the stars, shouted this at a reporter and word got out about it, that would cast a pall over the entire Series and would on some level be at least as big a story as the Series itself. That would be a complete disaster for Baseball, including both the Astros and the Nationals.

So in a moment of quick thinking, Brandon Taubman throws himself on the grenade (or maybe Jeff Luhnow throws him on it in exchange for consideration from Taubman) and pleads with the reporters—one of whom has a duty and an interest to write a story about it—to write that it was Taubman instead of the player who said it, and Taubman will be the one to deal with the public fallout, with a promise to the reporters that the player will be dealt with appropriately in the background—all for the good of the game.

That would help explain a few things, such as why the story did not appear for two days after the incident, and why there’s no counter story with any detail about the incident from the executive or the team. It would help explain why the male Houston writer tweeted a confirmation the incident occurred as written, to enhance his relationship with the players. It would also explain why no video or audio is surfacing from another source and why no one is asking for one.

Normally I wouldn’t go in for this kind of media-based conspiracy, but what makes this different is that baseball media is not journalism like mainstream media is. They’re not there to write exposés of bad player behavior with an interest in biting the hand that feeds them. Baseball writers have an existential interest to protect the game, so I could see the reporters agreeing to this on the conditional promise that the player will be appropriately punished in the background, and visible to the reporters.

I’m not saying I believe this is what’s happening, and who knows, something might come up in the next day or so that completely obliterates this hypothesis. But if the story goes to radio silence from now on and never comes up again, I’m going to wonder, especially if Taubman does not lose his job over this.

Image result for artie johnson very interesting gif

Apprarantly Taubman has a history on twitter with one of the writers on this very subject.  He was probably drunk and careless.  Maybe on coke or something. 

8DF808D0-76B6-4338-A0DF-823BC1ED759B.png

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

But...in a gender equal world..it isn't the issue.  In other words, I don't think womn should be more offended than men by this idiocy and the behavoir isn't any worse if it was directed at women.  It's an awful thing to say in general...Taubman told the world that winning trumps all with the Astros...I'm nit sure that' th message the franchise wants to project.

I’m just as offended as they are.  Sounds like you are saying it’s not that big of a deal to hit women because in a gender equal world it’s acceptable for men to hit men without any extra issues being inserted into it beyond assault.  

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think it plausible at all, FWIW.