IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

3 hours ago, leflore said:

Part of it is the craziness of baseball. As bad as those Tiger's bullpens may have seemed, Big Papi hit the 2013 grand slam vs Benoit, who was a quality reliever. If that doesn't happen I believe Detroit does go on to win the WS. Even if you have all the best pieces you might not win it all. Couple hits here or there and the Yankees beat the Astros.

benoit should never have been in that position if jim leyland hadnt ****** up the game by burning his whole bullpen.  yes, still bitter at leyland for ******* up that series.

So........just read the article about bringing old Tiger alumni back to help the team next year.   Sorry, but the only two alumni that could help the Tigers are Verlander and Scherzer.........oh, and Mickey Lolich.

Geez, what a terrible idea.    Let's ride with the new guys.   :)

6 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Sorry, but the only two alumni that could help the Tigers are Verlander and Scherzer.........oh, and Mickey Lolich.

Verlander and Scherzer are both Free Agents for 2022.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Didn’t Verlander get a bit high and mighty when a non teammate had DV issues?

seem to recall that, yeah

Oddly enough...it was Danry Vasquez who engaged in Domestic Violence...

Would anyone care if he yelled that at men?  For all I know he yelled it at a group of reporters that included both men and women.  I understand the domestic violence aspect adds an angle to the mix...but this smacks of an instance where women covering baseball expect a level of treatment that their male counterparts would not.  You can't be all "Girl Power" one minute and then "no fair...I'm a girl" the next.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Didn’t Verlander get a bit high and mighty when a non teammate had DV issues?

He did, but he also said he stood by his statements when they acquired Osuna.

3 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Would anyone care if he yelled that at men?  For all I know he yelled it at a group of reporters that included both men and women.  I understand the domestic violence aspect adds an angle to the mix...but this smacks of an instance where women covering baseball expect a level of treatment that their male counterparts would not.  You can't be all "Girl Power" one minute and then "no fair...I'm a girl" the next.

I dunno...he made the statements right after Osuna blew a save. Odd timing. I can see how it appears to be a passive aggressive jab at anyone who questioned the signing due to the dv charges, be it a man or a woman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I don't see that at all... they weren't saying "Don't yell at us because we're girls".  The DV aspect doesn't add "an angle" to the issue.  It is the issue.  Taubman was basically saying "**** you for criticizing us for hiring a guy who beats women"

As someone whose wife was covering the game in question, presuming she cares (it is entirely possible -> probable she doesn't) I *know* it isn't because she's a woman and expects to be treated differently.

Rather, I suspect she cares to the extent she does because it was a weird thing for him to do and as such it makes you question whether it is directed at, or harbors resentment towards, you for no good reason.

And not to make it an issue, but, yes, there are players and personnel that feel women do not belong reporting on professional sports and they let you know in subtle and sometimes in less than subtle ways.

It is a thing.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And not to make it an issue, but, yes, there are players and personnel that feel women do not belong reporting on professional sports and they let you know in subtle and less than subtle ways.

It is a thing.

I remember hearing a story of an NFL player who pulled off his towel in front of a female reporter and asked what she thought about it and her reply was "Looks like a *****, only smaller."    She won over his teammates with that remark.   I guess that's one way of dealing with it - throw the harassment right back at them.    But this Astros guy.............he might have just cost himself a shot at being a GM somewhere.  The Astros and Rays are two teams other teams look at for new personnel.   This won't help him.   Good. 

Or you could always refer to multiple penises, if that's your ... ahem ... thing.

10 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I can't be sure how to feel about this because I'm not 100% certain how it all went down.

If Taubman made a specific point to single out three women reporters standing apart from everyone one else, make eye contact from them a foot or so away, and, completely apropos of nothing, yell that statement about Osuna at them a half a dozen times, then it definitely looks like he is making a dick-headed point in a completely dick-headed way, and it should give pause to anyone considering him for future (or even present) employment.

If, on the other hand, he was in the vicinity of several reporters, both men and women, and Osuna's name came up, and he yelled that out to no one in particular, then it's a completely different situation that appears to be more defensible, and perhaps even innocuous, again depending on the circumstances leading up to it.

There doesn't appear to be video of the incident, which seems unusual in an environment that's presumably swarming with video cameras in action; the Astros are strongly denying any impropriety on Taubman's part although that's questionable given that they hired the great pitcher with the DV issues in the first place; and unfortunately it's fair to question whether the author of the article is a person with interest. So again, I can't be sure how to feel about this. Maybe something more about the story will surface later.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought the plural was peni

Either way, not censored, so peni away.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I can't be sure how to feel about this because I'm not 100% certain how it all went down.

If Taubman made a specific point to single out three women reporters standing apart from everyone one else, make eye contact from them a foot or so away, and, completely apropos of nothing, yell that statement about Osuna at them a half a dozen times, then it definitely looks like he is making a dick-headed point in a completely dick-headed way, and it should give pause to anyone considering him for future (or even present) employment.

If, on the other hand, he was in the vicinity of several reporters, both men and women, and Osuna's name came up, and he yelled that out to no one in particular, then it's a completely different situation that appears to be more defensible, and perhaps even innocuous, again depending on the circumstances leading up to it.

There doesn't appear to be video of the incident, which seems unusual in an environment that's presumably swarming with video cameras in action; the Astros are strongly denying any impropriety on Taubman's part although that's questionable given that they hired the great pitcher with the DV issues in the first place; and unfortunately it's fair to question whether the author of the article is a person with interest. So again, I can't be sure how to feel about this. Maybe something more about the story will surface later.

Osuna blew the lead in the ninth inning before his teammates bailed him out in the bottom of the inning.  Why would he be screaming about a guy who almost blew the game and had nothing to do with the win?  I think you are right that someone may have brought up the fact that he almost blew the game.  Still, it's hard to defend his repeating it a half dozen times given the circumstances