IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

The problem is when you move someone too quickly and destroy their confidence.  He was a marginal hitter to begin with, so why not let him get comfortable against AAA pitchers?  How could the Tigers front office not understand that he was going to struggle hitting MLB pitching?  His track record was pretty clear on that.

Jake with 4 hits in his last 5 games - his best stretch in a few weeks.

If he hit .240 with power, that would be a lot better than I would have guessed.  And that would be pretty good.

I think the BA is irrelevant for a backup C as long as he is plus at his position and can hit HRs at a plus clip with an OBP of around 300 or better.  Seems like less than likely st this point with Rogers but we'll see.

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I think he's going to be OK.  By OK I mean hit .240 with 20 home runs and good defense.  

That would be great.

Jake Rogers is kind of unique, being a good D guy who has a little pop and can take a walk but has trouble getting his bat on the ball. He might have Jason LaRue's career. That has some utility, although I don't know if that's the catcher for a world's championship team, unless that performance serves as the weak link.

The star of the Verlander trade is still on the 40-man but hasn't pitched most of the last two years. He is, in fact, a starter who has never pitched even as many as 87 innings in a season and yet he is still hurt all the time. He's 21, so he's maybe a 50-50 shot to be a fairly reliable starter in the majors at some point.

No one else looks to have a chance. Hanging your hopes on the likes of Tyler Alexander, Travis Demeritte, and Grayson Greiner (!) to lead the Tigers to the promised land is truly wishing on a star.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Jake Rogers is kind of unique, being a good D guy who has a little pop and can take a walk but has trouble getting his bat on the ball. He might have Jason LaRue's career. That has some utility, although I don't know if that's the catcher for a world's championship team, unless that performance serves as the weak link.

The star of the Verlander trade is still on the 40-man but hasn't pitched most of the last two years. He is, in fact, a starter who has never pitched even as many as 87 innings in a season and yet he is still hurt all the time. He's 21, so he's maybe a 50-50 shot to be a fairly reliable starter in the majors at some point.

No one else looks to have a chance. Hanging your hopes on the likes of Tyler Alexander, Travis Demeritte, and Grayson Greiner (!) to lead the Tigers to the promised land is truly wishing on a star.

I'll go ahead and speculate that the hanging hopes on Grayson Greiner to lead the Tigers to the promised land crowd is pretty small.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

i'd say he has a 50/50 shot to make it to the majors at all, much less be a reliable starter.  i'd put the odds around 20% he ever becomes a reliable starter.  much more likely he becomes a bullpen guy.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I'll go ahead and speculate that the hanging hopes on Grayson Greiner to lead the Tigers to the promised land crowd is pretty small.

Greiner is one of the most difficult ballplayers to get excited about, ever.

Greiner was streaky in the minors as I recall. Solid stretches followed by Mendoza. I do think he has shown enough for me to think he could stick several years as a back-up

On 9/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, Tenacious D said:

btw, the tank is over after this season.  Anything less than signficant progress in both player development and W-L next season and the Motor City Tiggers will incur my wrath.

I’m down with this. I seriously don’t know that I am willing to waste another baseball season. 

Don Kelly, Ryan Reighbiurne, Quintin Berry, Anthony Gose, Andrew Romine, Tyler Collins......

Victor Reyes, Harold Castro, Willi Castro, Jeimer Candelario, Brandon Dixon, Jake Rogers.....

Everyone up top has been to the playoffs. I see very little difference between these two lists. In fact, I’d love to see them square off and play. 

1 minute ago, thefunk said:

Don Kelly, Ryan Reighbiurne, Quintin Berry, Anthony Gose, Andrew Romine, Tyler Collins......

Victor Reyes, Harold Castro, Willi Castro, Jeimer Candelario, Brandon Dixon, Jake Rogers.....

Everyone up top has been to the playoffs. I see very little difference between these two lists. In fact, I’d love to see them square off and play. 

I can hardly wait until the second list becomes as good as the first list.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

I can hardly wait until the second list becomes as good as the first list.  

Laughable. They’re already there.

Just now, thefunk said:

Laughable. They’re already there.

What's your point?  Neither group is good.  

5 hours ago, leflore said:

Greiner was streaky in the minors as I recall. Solid stretches followed by Mendoza. I do think he has shown enough for me to think he could stick several years as a back-up

Well, the Tigers have the backup catcher position locked up anyway with Rogers and Greiner.  So that's one less spot Avila has to work his magic on.

Most GMs concentrate on getting starting players.  Avila decided to go the route of finding all the bench and backup players before worrying about getting starters.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, six-hopper said:

Wow, no love for JaCoby Jones in this thread.  With his eleven home runs in 88 games, he's one of the Tigers' big power threats.  Plus he's a center fielder.  Basically our Mike Trout.

That's like saying he's got the most teeth in Alabama.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Exactly who is hanging any hopes on Greiner?  Are you drunk again?

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Exactly. Potentially everyone on this roster is a stop gap or future bench player. There are a few who have the chance to become average major leaguers but other than Boyd, at this point, who is even average?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Can’t be drunk again if you never stopped being drunk in the first place. ?

But besides that, someone here mentioned he thought Greiner could be on the next Tigers playoff team, along with as many as seven or eight other guys on the current 40-man. I disagree. I think Greiner may be well out of baseball by the time that happens.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

That's like saying he's got the most teeth in Alabama.

JJ has about the same number of teeth as Mike Trout.  So we got that going for us.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Can’t be drunk again if you never stopped being drunk in the first place. ?

But besides that, someone here mentioned he thought Greiner could be on the next Tigers playoff team, along with as many as seven or eight other guys on the current 40-man. I disagree. I think Greiner may be well out of baseball by the time that happens.

Greiner and those other 7 guys could play on a playoff team some day.  I don't know that that tells us anything though.  There have been lots of weak players on playoff teams which he actually illustrated in the same post.  I agree with your concern about Greiner maybe being  out of baseball before the Tigers are a playoff team.  I would say that about the majority of his teammates too.

19 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

JJ has about the same number of teeth as Mike Trout.  So we got that going for us.

Not true.  Trout has 36 teeth.