IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Anyway, I am probably done posting on here until next season.

I just wanted to say that it is a good group of very knowledgeable posters.  I enjoy reading the different perspectives. Have a great offseason.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

If I told you in 2013 that these 3 guys would be starting in the WS in 2020 we would have been pretty happy eh?

C452B84C-BDB7-45A0-9F37-AA786F6BA894.jpeg

In the  history of the game, has a front office ever been so incompetent or bungled a greater pitching legacy than the Tigers? Maybe the Mets after 1969 come close....

You might say the Tigers discovered the secret of the Philosopher's ENOTS: That's a talisman that turns gold into lead......

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

In the  history of the game, has a front office ever been so incompetent or bungled a greater pitching legacy than the Tigers? Maybe the Mets after 1969 come close....

You might say the Tigers discovered the secret of the Philosopher's ENOTS: That's a talisman that turns gold into lead......

Not sure you can say bungled.

Who wanted anibal around after his contract? Nobody.

95 percent of the forum wanted to trade verlander in 2013

Max left as a free agent cause they chose to pay the guy in the paragraph above

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't think that's true at all.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think that's true at all.  

And even if it were, would that let the Tigers front office off the hook for failing to hold onto Verlander so we could enjoy his career resurgence? Or for choosing to let one Hall of Famer walk so they could keep another Hall of Famer, only to botch that and lose him as well?

Going back to the proposal to dramatically (or drastically, if you prefer) reduce the footprint of the affiliated minors and move around teams for geographical advantage, what do you think the chances might be that West Michigan Whitecaps move up in classification? Maybe they could move into the Eastern League and become the Tigers Double A team. That would confer the advantage of having players who are close to the majors getting a taste of a hometown crowd who already roots for their big league club.

Or perhaps, even more ambitiously, they get their permanent capacity up over 10,000 (which they already were at one time) and become the Triple A affiliate for a close major league team like the White Sox (who have their current affiliate in North Carolina). The stadium is really nice and they already draw among the best crowds in A Ball right now.

I could definitely see this.

No way would owners agree to such a proposal.

EDIT: Speaking of forcing owners to sell if a team is sub 0.500 for 5 years straight.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No way would owners agree to such a proposal.

which owners?

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

which owners?

Which proposal?

Just this week I completed reading the book:

John Fetzer: On a Handshake

Author: Dan Ewald

Things have changed so radically since he sold the team. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone that is even remotely interested. Lot of history in the book.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Going back to the proposal to dramatically (or drastically, if you prefer) reduce the footprint of the affiliated minors and move around teams for geographical advantage, what do you think the chances might be that West Michigan Whitecaps move up in classification? Maybe they could move into the Eastern League and become the Tigers Double A team. That would confer the advantage of having players who are close to the majors getting a taste of a hometown crowd who already roots for their big league club.

Or perhaps, even more ambitiously, they get their permanent capacity up over 10,000 (which they already were at one time) and become the Triple A affiliate for a close major league team like the White Sox (who have their current affiliate in North Carolina). The stadium is really nice and they already draw among the best crowds in A Ball right now.

I could definitely see this.

I’m still trying to understand what the MLB really wants to accomplish in this deal other than cut spending.

You make some interesting points about West Michigan. If they became AA in the EL, I believe that would expand the footprint of that league, which I don’t think they want to do. 

They want to reduce the AAA PCL from 16 teams to 10 and increase the AAA IL from 14 to 20. I actually think that makes sense. There are two PCL teams in Tennessee! Pretty sure Memphis and Nashville would be IL after the changes.

There are 14 teams in the South Atlantic League now. They’re proposing the SAL go to six teams and the northern half of the current league be a separate league. So a six team league would be less attractive to me. Your team would see the same five teams all year. Three team divisions? Not liking this one. 

Good point about Charlotte, NC being a distance from Chicago. On the flip side of this, the White Sox low A, high A, and AAA are all within two hours or less of each other in N.C.. The Charlotte park is only three years old. 

Trying to learn more about this. 

Charlotte could become the Triple A franchise for Washington. That would be closer than Fresno. Or maybe Miami, since New Orleans has the worst attendance of all Triple A teams and will likely get booted down to the Texas League.

From the Department of Fun Fact:

Miguel Cabrera led the 2019 Tigers with 59 RBI.

In the strike season of 1994, during which teams played only 112 to 117 games, the RBI leaders of 24 of the 26 teams finished with more than 59 RBI.

Cecil Fielder led the Tigers that year with 90.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Charlotte could become the Triple A franchise for Washington. That would be closer than Fresno. Or maybe Miami, since New Orleans has the worst attendance of all Triple A teams and will likely get booted down to the Texas League.

I would like to see the Nats in Charlotte. 

2 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

That fact was anything but fun...

The "fun fact" trope is ironic in nature, so ... yeah.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I’m still trying to understand what the MLB really wants to accomplish in this deal other than cut spending.

You make some interesting points about West Michigan. If they became AA in the EL, I believe that would expand the footprint of that league, which I don’t think they want to do. 

They want to reduce the AAA PCL from 16 teams to 10 and increase the AAA IL from 14 to 20. I actually think that makes sense. There are two PCL teams in Tennessee! Pretty sure Memphis and Nashville would be IL after the changes.

There are 14 teams in the South Atlantic League now. They’re proposing the SAL go to six teams and the northern half of the current league be a separate league. So a six team league would be less attractive to me. Your team would see the same five teams all year. Three team divisions? Not liking this one. 

Good point about Charlotte, NC being a distance from Chicago. On the flip side of this, the White Sox low A, high A, and AAA are all within two hours or less of each other in N.C.. The Charlotte park is only three years old. 

Why not make 3 AAA leagues of 10 per?  I would think there have to be some travel expenses reduced that way.

I don’t know what to make of the whole thing.  My first thought was that most teams these days have probably gone through a recent stadium renovation or creation which was probably publicly funded.  To take teams and revenue away from these parks that should still be paying off that debt would be absolutely criminal.  But I don’t know for sure that that’s the case with all of those parks, so who knows.

I have always found it interesting how there aren’t minimums and maximums to farm systems.  Some major league organizations don’t have short As, some have more rookie teams, than others, etc.  Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe that’s a bad thing, maybe it’s in the middle, I’m not quite sure.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The "fun fact" trope is ironic in nature, so ... yeah.

What?  So all the fun and merriment I've experienced over the years from facts labelled as "fun" was a lie?  I'm crushed...  :)

• Haha 1

Shouldn’t MLB figure out its issues in Florida and Oakland before making sweeping changes to the minor leagues?

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Charlotte is a hub for several airlines, only about a two hour flight from O’Hare or Midway. 

I was wondering about Richmond’s attendance, any possibility they could be AAA again? (Washington, Baltimore)

20 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Charlotte is a hub for several airlines, only about a two hour flight from O’Hare or Midway. 

I was wondering about Richmond’s attendance, any possibility they could be AAA again? (Washington, Baltimore)

Richmond has the fourth highest attendance among Double A teams, 24th among all 160 minor league teams, and higher than nine Triple A teams, so yeah, it's possible.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Richmond has the fourth highest attendance among Double A teams, 24th among all 160 minor league teams, and higher than nine Triple A teams, so yeah, it's possible.

And this has been consistent since SF moved in. They have a very good fan base.

Good point in AAA possibilities here.  

57 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why not make 3 AAA leagues of 10 per?  I would think there have to be some travel expenses reduced that way.

I don’t know what to make of the whole thing.  My first thought was that most teams these days have probably gone through a recent stadium renovation or creation which was probably publicly funded.  To take teams and revenue away from these parks that should still be paying off that debt would be absolutely criminal.  But I don’t know for sure that that’s the case with all of those parks, so who knows.

I have asked the same questions regarding community investment and what would happen under the possible scenarios that are out there.

I had a conversation with some people some years back that were employees of different minor league teams. I was under the impression that the owners of the franchises paid for travel and lodging. I’m going to call a couple of folks tomorrow to get this clarified. I know there have been quite a few MLB teams buying their minor league teams for the sake of stability. Of the 11 MiLB teams in NC I know four are parent owned. 

If a parent bought an affiliate, travel and lodging costs would be on the MLB teams at that point. I think the Durham Bulls used to share some of their travel expenses with Tampa Bay. 

6 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Not sure you can say bungled.

Who wanted anibal around after his contract? Nobody.

Max left as a free agent cause they chose to pay the guy in the paragraph above

Surprise, a KL2 post that I dont agree with.

• Like 1

Umpire Eric Cooper died this weekend. Crazy. Age 52, my age. Worked the ALDS last week. Knee surgery for a blood clot a few days ago.