IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Reading a ball in the outfield and fielding it in a precise manner and immediately sizing up where you have to throw the ball on a skip to home plate over 400 feet within inches of the desired target is a preposterously absurd thing to expect anyone to do.

Determining if a ball is worth swinging at in a fraction of a second by reading a pitcher’s motion, the spin of the ball, and the exact game context in which this pitch is taking place and one’s previous experience with the hurler is equally preposterous. I can barely wrap my head around what the pitcher needs to do

But this is what is expected. When you put it into words it seems insane for a game like this to even be able to be played well at all. And the fact is that very few are able to do it.

Just now, 1776 said:

Virginia has quite a few teams now. The Potomac Nationals are relocating to Fredericksburg for the 2020 season. They will be the Fredericksburg Nationals and remain a member of the Carolina League.

Was just looking at a minor league road trip....Danville, Salem, Lynchburg, Richmond, 

May have to throw in Fredericksburg if schedules align. I grew up in Roanoke and have a niece outside Tappahannock. Fredericksburg is about an hour from the Williamsburg, then a quick train ride to DC

From a prior post:

“The 14-team low Class A South Atlantic League would be turned into a six-team league with a new Mid-Atlanticleague springing up.”

So are we saying that there are only five other teams to play all year in the South Atlantic League if this change is made? That could get old over 140 games from a fan’s perspective. 

I’m still looking for the logic in this.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Was just looking at a minor league road trip....Danville, Salem, Lynchburg, Richmond, 

May have to throw in Fredericksburg if schedules align. I grew up in Roanoke and have a niece outside Tappahannock. Fredericksburg is about an hour from the Williamsburg, then a quick train ride to DC

I’ve wanted to see every park in the South Atlantic League and the Carolina League for several years now. We’ve been chipping away each summer. I guess I’m going to have to get serious in 2020.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's a good thing I'm driving to SABR next year and stopping in places like Morgantown, WV and Wilmington, DE to see minor league games as part of the trip. Looks like next year might be their last. ?

I don't know how I feel about this yet. Bert makes some good points about socioeconomics I hadn't considered, but on the other hand, I see the value of streamlining the development process. I guess it depends in part on how much I would agree that Major League Baseball, as a federally protected entity, has some responsibility to keep a strong and widely dispersed minor league system for smaller cities to enjoy.

It might not have the effect that people fear, at least not for the fans.  Independent League ball is fun for the fans.  You don't get the connection to a major league team, but you can still get the experience of going to quaint minor league parks at cheap prices.  Plus, you'll get an occasional Rickey Henderson or Jose Canseco signing up for an Indy team.  

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

And of course no one ever said that.  Hundreds OR thousands?  Yep....and when it comes to MLB it only takes a fraction of that to swing the percentage from 12-18% to 7%.   Hundreds of thousands is absurd.

I misread what you wrote. Sorry pal.

You misread what I wrote, too.

The NHL, NBA and NFL drafts used to be many, many rounds longer than they are today...teams got better at identifying talent and discovered you don't need that many picks to identify the guys who are actually talented enough to make the professional ranks.  It sounds like MLB is finally catching up in at least starting to trim the fat from the rather cumbersome methodology they employ now.

When I was a kid, the TIgers had short season Bristol, Class A Lakeland, AA Montgomery, AAA Toledo and later Evansville and that was it.  And they were pretty aggressive when moving talent forward.  Guys like Jason Thompson would be drafted on year and in the majors a year or two later.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

The NHL, NBA and NFL drafts used to be many, many rounds longer than they are today...teams got better at identifying talent and discovered you don't need that many picks to identify the guys who are actually talented enough to make the professional ranks.  It sounds like MLB is finally catching up in at least starting to trim the fat from the rather cumbersome methodology they employ now.

When I was a kid, the TIgers had short season Bristol, Class A Lakeland, AA Montgomery, AAA Toledo and later Evansville and that was it.  And they were pretty aggressive when moving talent forward.  Guys like Jason Thompson would be drafted on year and in the majors a year or two later.

MLB used to have two drafts - one in the winter and one in the summer.  The winter draft had less talent.  I do not remember what types of players qualified for that draft.    

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

MLB used to have two drafts - one in the winter and one in the summer.  The winter draft had less talent.  I do not remember what types of players qualified for that draft.    

The entire 2019 Tigers roster

Does anyone have a clear memory of when Nashville was our Triple A team? Neither do I, and I was in my 20s.

14 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Evansville

LOL - It was Evansville during some of my most intense young fandom. I still say Evansville occasionally when I mean Toledo sometimes. 

18 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Altuve just Magglio'ed it.

Amazed at how long the Yankees held out, I didn't think they had a prayer. Of course JV on 3 days rest was a major blunder. Might have cost them two games. Then again, I'm a big believer that you never want to give big league hitters multiple days off - they might start thinking xD We'll see how it works out for the 'Stros. At least  Wash and Houston are both warm places in the Autumn. Should make for better baseball.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Altuve just Magglio'ed it.

NYY tied it while I was taking a dump then Altuve brought a smile back to my face. 3/5 of Detroit's 2013 starting rotation are in the WS. Should be a great one

If I told you in 2013 that these 3 guys would be starting in the WS in 2020 we would have been pretty happy eh?

C452B84C-BDB7-45A0-9F37-AA786F6BA894.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Baseball is a tougher game of finesse, and learning all the little stuff takes time, and it takes even more time as you re-adjust to higher levels of play. Both football and basketball do not require the acute sorts of fine motor skills and mentality required for baseball. Baseball is always going to be a harder game to get good at. Ask Michael Jordan.

I think the sports are different in their demands, and that better explains the differences in debut age for the various sports.

Foot speed (and leaping ability in the case of basketball) is far more important in those sports than baseball, hence younger players have more of an advantage relative to young baseball players and are able get promoted faster as a consequence.  Plus the attrition rate in football greatly increases player turnover.  I also think both sports require a wider breadth of skills, which allows more of an opportunity for someone who is relatively weak in one skill to make it up another way.

Baseball basically has a single skill that trumps all others to the extent that if you are good enough at hitting or pitching, it usually doesn't matter how bad you are at other things, you will have a starting job.  If you can't hit, no matter how great you are at everything else, you are not likely to start.  If you can't pitch well but are great at everything else (fielding, avoiding injury, hitting as a pitcher), you likely don't make the show let alone start.

I watched none of the playoffs...not even 1 second.  Baseball just doesn't seem very interesting to me.

During the 90s and early 2000s when the Tigers were putrid, I don't even remember watching any of the playoffs or World Series games.  

MLB is really hurting themselves by allowing such trash as the Tigers to pass as major league baseball.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If you can't hit, no matter how great you are at everything else, you are not likely to start

Unless you are a member of the 2019 Detroit Tigers. i.e. Jake Rogers/G Greiner., 

18 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

That’s a really good article. Frankly I thought the idea of 17 to 18% of players drafted making it to the major leagues was way too huge but when so few had any appreciable WAR that figure was placed in its proper perspective. Reading that article — Particularly the following — made me lament for the future of our Tigers. The Astros basically got rid of almost the entire player development staff and coaches. I don’t see that ever happening in this organization 

in other words, dont trade for astros prospects because the astros have already identified the ones who are any good and they dont trade them...

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What should MLB do to not allow such trash as the Tigers to pass as major league baseball?

I don't have the solution, but take a look at attendance in the areas where teams tank.  When Mike Ilitch first owned the Tigers, they were awful for 15 years.  I was a teenager at that time and totally lost interest in the game.  Why would I want to follow a team that sucked so bad?  A whole generation of young people paid no interest in the game and MLB lost its chance to convert those kids into fans of the game.  And I am on the verge of not following the Tigers and the game again, because I know the Tigers are going to be awful for the next 5 years, minimum.

And some owners hold the city's feet over the fire and demand a new stadium, at tax payer's expense, or they will relocate the team.  

One solution seems to be for fans like yourself to not pay attention, let the owner feel it in his pocketbook, and presumably he will take steps to improve.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I do miss old pennant and WS celebrations. Not sure the players do.

Going back thorough some of the old video (thank you, 21st Century), it looks like the 1985 Series might have been the last time a team won it at home and the fans were allowed to pour onto the field basically without restraint. The next year the Red Sox won the ALCS at home and the Mets won the Series at home and fans did not pour onto the field, and probably they haven't since. I wonder what the turning point was then that led Baseball to decide that they couldn't let that happen anymore?