IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Is Ryan Zimmerman the longest tenured player with his current team in the majors?  2005....  meaning nobody's been with their current team longer?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Is Ryan Zimmerman the longest tenured player with his current team in the majors?  2005....  meaning  nobody's been with their current team longer?

I think Yadi Molina has him beat. 

Felix Hernandez also had RZimm beat .. by about 1 month.  But Felix may become a FA depending on whether Seattle might (or would) be able to exercise a $1m team option for 2020.

Adam Wainwright was close ..having debuted just 10 days after RZimm did.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I think Yadi Molina has him beat. 

Yes, he is the longest tenured player with one team (2004).  CC Sabathia and Albert Pujols have been playing the longest (2001) 

18 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Paredes is worth two Mendoza's.  

Not true.  2 Mendozas weigh 340.  Paredes isn't there yet.

Q:  who is the fattest German to ever play for the Tigers?

A:  Franklyn.

• Like 1

Are you guys paying attention to Gardenhire's successor this postseason?  He's been marvelous in the ALCS.

420x0.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, 1776 said:

Rather, he’s their problem.

Its possible that they just deserve each other.

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Are you guys paying attention to Gardenhire's successor this postseason?  He's been marvelous in the ALCS.

420x0.jpg

Oh, he's going to Pittsburgh.

17 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Don't **** on my hopes and dreams.

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

My blog will say he's going to be the new Commissioner.   The Deuce will be in the background as the true power though.

Starting JV on short rest the other night probably wasn’t a good idea. Rocky out of the gate tonight.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Starting JV on short rest the other night probably wasn’t a good idea. Rocky out of the gate tonight.

I blame the breakup with Emily.    And Lloyd.

• Like 1

I gotta say seeing him in that navy long sleeve undershirt pitching at Yankee Stadium in October brought back memories.   

MLB proposes major overhaul of minor league system, cutting of 40 teams

Ever the cheapskates, it looks like MLB wants more independent leagues so they don’t have to pay those huge minor-league salaries.

There’s already a vast network of self-supported baseball training services a player’s parents have to spend huge money on. It looks like this makes amateur baseball still more an expression of socioeconomic privilege than it already is. Look for US-based baseball to become even whiter and more middle class and above than it already is.

My local newspaper says that our Boise Hawks NWL short-season A team will become a 140-game team at perhaps even a AA or AAA level. Apparently the Tacoma and Reno AAA franchises in the PCL are struggling. That would be cool for me. This is bad of course for 40 cities that will lose their teams. I’m not completely convinced that mine will not be among them. 

I wonder if they’re going to wipe out rookie league ball aside from obviously retaining stuff like the gulf coast league etc.

I remember scanning the stats side of baseball cards as a kid and wondering what “Bluefield“ was like. What the Roswell ballpark was like. When Rickey Henderson played for the Boise Braves in his first professional season the games were held at the Borah High School ball park with almost no seating at all. 

I got a text this morning at 4:30 from a friend of mine that lives minor league ball like myself. The text ‘ping’ woke me up. Thank goodness I didn’t read it then. It was a link to the news Bert speaks of. I am so pi$$ed at what I read.

• Like 1

My wife and I travelled to eight games in the Appalachian League this year. The league is short season and consists of 10 teams and older parks. It was one of the more enjoyable summers we’ve had attending MiLB games. 

If this reorg goes through I am confident the Appalachian League would be eliminated. This would eliminate professional baseball from an entire region. I don’t want to imagine that. To Bert’s point, this is nothing but a money move. Several of the affiliations have been in these towns for many years. The Cardinals have been in Johnson City, TN for 40 years as I recall. While at a JC game I asked a gentleman sitting next to us how long he had held season tickets. He said he had held them for 50 years. He was a ticked holder of the previous affiliation there as well! He and his wife attended all the games this year. And for the greed of owners it could all disappear. 

• Like 1

It's a good thing I'm driving to SABR next year and stopping in places like Morgantown, WV and Wilmington, DE to see minor league games as part of the trip. Looks like next year might be their last. 😢

I don't know how I feel about this yet. Bert makes some good points about socioeconomics I hadn't considered, but on the other hand, I see the value of streamlining the development process. I guess it depends in part on how much I would agree that Major League Baseball, as a federally protected entity, has some responsibility to keep a strong and widely dispersed minor league system for smaller cities to enjoy.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:02 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Comparing our lineup to Mendoza is an insult to him.  

You might be describing the 2003 Dodgers. They had historically great pitching combined with historically terrible hitting. They finished 85-77, pythag of 83-79. If playoffs is the goal, that ain’t gonna cut it.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

MLB proposes major overhaul of minor league system, cutting of 40 teams

I wonder if they’re going to wipe out rookie league ball aside from obviously retaining stuff like the gulf coast league etc.

I believe this is a very valid concern. So, MLB estimates that approximately 25% of MiLB parks are below standard. In my experience of attending MiLB games, the lower the level, the more likely the park is to be below standard. 

I have so many questions at this point I don’t know where to start. 

I’m not sold on the argument that teams need to be geographically closer to the parent. I think that is only a convenience more than anything. I would think that as long as your AAA team is geographically near the parent, there shouldn’t be a real issue monetarily for travel. Other than the cost of travel for staff and players, I don’t know why this is even a topic. There is not that much movement over the course of the year to move a kid from one team to another. If teams are moving kids up and down below AAA to the point  that they consider it an inconvenience travel wise, the problem probably is bigger than the price of a plane ticket. 

The Texas Rangers own their low A and high A teams, Hickory, NC and Kinston, NC, respectively. The drive time is about 4.5 hours between the two towns. So, are we talking about relocating these teams closer to Texas because they are presently not in close proximity to the parent? Trying to get the geographical thing worked out, intent wise, in my head.

What happens to parks that have been built with local money and the franchises are locally leased? If MLB says team X should be here rather than there, what happens to the park if it is left without a team? Who, if anybody considers the local investment? Am I even in the park on my concerns? Yes, there was pun intended. 

It seems clubs like the Astros are already making the move. 
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-we-even-need-minor-league-baseball/

I’m wondering if this opens the door for possibly more independent leagues. I’m on the fence, really enjoy watching minor league games when I get a chance, the games are entertaining and don’t cost a small fortune.