IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

The Nats are doing it with Bryce Harper...it's just that this year his name is Juan Soto

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 10:07 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Anibal's HR/9 may be the biggest factor in either his overall success or failure.

Yes, and underlying that is his HR/FB rate, which has been extremely volatile.  Generally speaking, starting pitchers have HR/FB rates in a given season that are pretty close to 10 - 12 pct.  It's odd to have an entire season that's too far off that range, and it's extremely rare to have successive seasons like that.  Anibal had 8 out of his first 11 full seasons (not including 2007, which involved only 30 IP) where his HR/FB pct was well outside that range (sometimes around 5%, sometimes between 15 - 19%).  When it was low to average, he was at his norm or better...when it was high, he was really bad, in the other 5 seasons in his career (including the last two) where he was around 10 - 11 pct, he was right around his career average ERA in 4 of those seasons.

Even his K and BB ratios don't seem to have been as determinative.

7 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Problem I see with Harper is that there may be teammates of his that do not much like him and his self-centered attitude.  

I think the Braves may have suffered ..even if just a little fraction ..by Ron Acuna's self-centered attitude.

Sometimes we tend to think that players all like each other and care about each other.  That is our own mistake.

The Nationals and Astros players all seem to truly love playing together on their own respective teams. 

The Yankees just seem to have overcome every adverse thing that has been thrown at them this year.    

btw:  Yankees have a great bullpen ..but I still think Houston's starting pitching will be too much for the Yankees to overcome.

I would love to have Acuna's "self-centered attitudue" on the Tigers!

• Like 1

The Nats up 7-4 right now looking for the sweep.  They could be in the position the Tigers were in 06 and 2012 of having to wait a while to start the World Series.   

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Nats up 7-4 right now looking for the sweep.  They could be in the position the Tigers were in 06 and 2012 of having to wait a while to start the World Series.   

Was talking to a friend of mine today and brought this exact scenario up after recalling how it didn’t work out for Detroit as you pointed out. Good point.

2 hours ago, socaltiger said:

These playoffs reinforce the age old concept that Starting Pitching is still king.

mize manning skubal and hancock

With the Nationals making the World Series that leaves the Mariners as the only MLB franchise to never make one.  

Joe Maddon is officially the Angels new manager. 

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Joe Maddon is officially the Angels new manager. 

That's his problem.

14 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

mize manning skubal and hancock

Hancock?

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

he's the non-torkelson first rounder, pitcher at U-Georgia

boo.  You can't combine the Braves staff with nine Mario Mendoza's and hope to win.

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

he's the non-torkelson first rounder, pitcher at U-Georgia

I don't want him.  He has food stuck between his teeth.

38 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

boo.  You can't combine the Braves staff with nine Mario Mendoza's and hope to win.

Comparing our lineup to Mendoza is an insult to him.  

52 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

8 Mendoza's and greene

I'm hoping that Austin Martin kid from Vandy has a breakout year and shows that he can play SS and we take him.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

That's his problem.

Rather, he’s their problem.