IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

The Yankees have won a WS in every decade except the 1900’s, 1910’s, 1980’s, and 2010’s.   This is their last year obviously.  

in some ways I think the Yanks are underrated.  Meaning the casual person/fan assumes it’s still all about just huge payrolls and they do it the easy way.  That’s not been true for a very long time. In my opinion the Red Sox surpasses them in the evil empire category.  A sense of entitlement. 
I don’t mind rooting for them especially with Girardi gone.  He was a huge crybaby.  He always talked to the umpires like a person complaining to the manager about their food. 

Remember 2018 off season ..when it was reported that Ausmus turned down the opportunity to interview for the then-open Yankee managerial job?   

I'd been laboring under the happy delusion that Zimmermann's contract ended this year.  Your post caused me to check and discover that he and his 6.91 ERA still have another season at a cost of 25 mil.  Noooooooooooo!

It's not that big of a deal about Zimmerman.  He is the pitching version of Cabrera...pretty much useless but it's not like he's blocking some stud pitcher from breaking into the rotation.

8 minutes ago, gmoney said:

It's not that big of a deal about Zimmerman.  He is the pitching version of Cabrera...pretty much useless but it's not like he's blocking some stud pitcher from breaking into the rotation.

But his and Cabrera's salaries are preventing the altruistic, civic-minded Ilitches from "developing" more parking lots for the benefit of the citizens of Detroit.

7 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

But his and Cabrera's salaries are preventing the altruistic, civic-minded Ilitches from "developing" more parking lots for the benefit of the citizens of Detroit.

I am surprised the Ilitches don't threaten to leave Detroit unless they get a new ballpark paid completely with tax money.  They are always looking for ways to improve the viewing experience for the fans.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

But Sanchez pitched deeper into the game than he did under Ausmus.  

Well, as a matter of fact, Sanchez  made 30 starts for Wash and pitched 166 innings, for an average of 5.5 innings per start. In 2015 when he was exclusively a starter for Ausums, he made 25 starts for 157 IP, or 6.28 IP. In 2016 he worked 138 IP in 25 start or 5.3 IP per start. So other than the great playoff game, he has not worked deeper for Wash as a starter than he did for Det.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Well, as a matter of fact, Sanchez  made 30 starts for Wash and pitched 166 innings, for an average of 5.5 innings per start. In 2015 when he was exclusively a starter for Ausums, he made 25 starts for 157 IP, or 6.28 IP. In 2016 he worked 138 IP in 25 start or 5.3 IP per start. So other than the great playoff game, he has not worked deeper for Wash as a starter than he did for Det.

What was the distribution of runs per inning in his starts with Wash vs Detroit?  If I recall correctly, he very often pitched well for five innings with the Tigers and then fell apart quickly and was left in.  Was it similar in Washington?  Meaning, did he have a of starts where he pitched five strong and then get pulled before things went bad?     

Always looking for ways to cheer up our long-suffering Tiger fans, I thought I might point out that the following 9 pitchers:

T-Bull (3-17), Norris (3-13), Zimm (1-13), Soto (0-5), Carp (1-6), Greene (0-2), Cisnero (0-4), Reininger (0-3), and Hall (0-1)

combined for a record of 8-64.

(The rest of the staff went 38-51)

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

What was the distribution of runs per inning in his starts with Wash vs Detroit?  If I recall correctly, he very often pitched well for five innings with the Tigers and then fell apart quickly and was left in.  Was it similar in Washington?  Meaning, did he have a of starts where he pitched five strong and then get pulled before things went bad?     

you mean like in 2017 when his ERA in the 4th was 1.33 and his ERA in the 5th was 7.51? Anibal after 4 IP was always ticking time bomb but Ausmus never started getting the pen  ready to anticipate. Even this season, Anabal's 4th inning ERA is 1.38 compared to 5.4 in the 5th. If Dave Martinez has been only one batter or sometimes two quicker to get get him that is probably all it takes to make a difference in his success this season. 

Granted, the Det BP was/is/apparently-always-will-be bad and it may have made little difference to the *team* outcome letting Anibal take the additional earned runs,, but I look at it this way: If your your BP is going to blow any close game anyway eventually - which ours almost always did/does/will, why not let the guys who could have some individual success/confidence have it by protecting them more? The bonus is that you are also likely also protecting that players's trade value to some extent as well so the benefit goes to more than just somebody's stat line.

The Tigers don't have anyone that is reliable for going 5 innings on their roster.  Other than Boyd, those other starters wouldn't even be pitching in the majors if it weren't for being in the right organization at the right time.

26 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Anibal's HR/9 may be the biggest factor in either his overall success or failure.

LOL, one of the things that opened my eyes to how resistant long time baseball people have been to facts as opposed to all their accumulated "conventional" wisdom/lore, was Jim Leyland harping that Anibal wasn't keeping the ball down when he was giving up HRs, when the truth was a lot of the pitches he was giving up HRs on were at the knees, they just had no life and were too much in the middle. But "down" was simply not the problem. You had a man managing 9 figures worth of player salaries who apparently had never looked a pitch F/X on his pitcher's batted balls. If a guy hit the ball hard, it had to be up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Which Tigers may be available on the Rule V ..if the Tigers do not add them to their own 40?

I read an  article earlier this week that claimed the Tigers may not have enough room on their own 40 to protect all their own ..which I found highly remarkable since IMHO the Tigers current 40 has at least 20 players whom I see no good reason to retain.

Easy...Beau Burrows and Derek Hill.

Yep...I can't see any team making a season long pledge to keep either of those two in the majors...of course I likely would have said the same about Reyes.   

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL, one of the things that opened my eyes to how resistant long time baseball people have been to facts as opposed to all their accumulated "conventional" wisdom/lore, was Jim Leyland harping that Anibal wasn't keeping the ball down when he was giving up HRs, when the truth was a lot of the pitches he was giving up HRs on were at the knees, they just had no life and were too much in the middle. But "down" was simply not the problem. You had a man managing 9 figures worth of player salaries who apparently had never looked a pitch F/X on his pitcher's batted balls. If a guy hit the ball hard, it had to be up.

That's always made me laugh too, that a ball that's low in the zone can't be hit hard.  

13 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Yep...I can't see any team making a season long pledge to keep either of those two in the majors...of course I likely would have said the same about Reyes.   

I don't see anyone taking a chance on Hill. I could see a bad team taking a chance on Beau given he was at tripple A and even bad teams needs to eat innings.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

That's always made me laugh too, that a ball that's low in the zone can't be hit hard.  

I recall guys like Fidrych and Randy Jones being heralded for their ability to "keep the ball down".  I find it doubtful that hitting coaches and elite MLB quality athletes carrying bats didn't find a means of defeating that ability...

Good stuff there for Anibal Sanchez.  His final years with Detroit were awful, but he did agree to putting time into the bullpen and in the minors to try to correct himself.  Its hard to find fault with someone willing to swallow his pride like that.  And he's found new life after going through those troubles.  Its a fun story as a baseball fan even if Tiger fans bore the brunt of the misery.

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I recall guys like Fidrych and Randy Jones being heralded for their ability to "keep the ball down".  I find it doubtful that hitting coaches and elite MLB quality athletes carrying bats didn't find a means of defeating that ability...

Lloyd can certainly come up with a plan to defeat any style of pitching that exists.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Good stuff there for Anibal Sanchez.  His final years with Detroit were awful, but he did agree to putting time into the bullpen and in the minors to try to correct himself.  Its hard to find fault with someone willing to swallow his pride like that.  And he's found new life after going through those troubles.  Its a fun story as a baseball fan even if Tiger fans bore the brunt of the misery.

Nats correctly saw that 2018 was not a fluke in Atlanta. He completely reworked his repertoire with the Braves. Again a data driven success story that does not originate with the Tigers

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Lloyd can certainly come up with a plan to defeat any style of pitching that exists.

Lloyd welcomes shifts. Mere child's play for his guys. Launch angle? Irrelevant when you hit the ball as hard as they do. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Nats correctly saw that 2018 was not a fluke in Atlanta. He completely reworked his repertoire with the Braves. Again a data driven success story that does not originate with the Tigers

The shift for Anibal has been to fewer fastballs, fewer sliders, and fewer sinkers, all pitches being replaced on a percentage basis by cutters. TBF, as per fangraphs, he did first start throwing the cutter in Detroit in 2016, threw a bit more in 2017 but started throwing it a lot in 2018 in Atlanta and threw it 28% of time with the Nats.

OTOH, he had been moving away from his sinker before he came to Det but went back to it a little here. I wonder if that was encouraged by the Tigers. Going back to Leyland, Det management had a long time love affair with the sinker, and that may the the pitch that is most out of favor with teams like Houston et al. Anibal threw less than 10% sinkers the last 2 yrs.

I think the sinker is not a bad pitch, but it's probably the one most prone to results decay as the order turns over the 2nd and 3rd time. I think it's the pitch hitters are most able to adjust to if they get to see it repeatedly.