IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

14 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

103 is for 2022. The yanks are at 135 next year per your link.

Then you have to add in the likely $30 million to Sanchez and judge so they are up to $165 with like 12 players under contract. So thats what i was pointing out that lindor to them isn't a slam dunk if they want to stay under thr luxury. 

Why are quibbling about the Yankees' salary situation when we should be sending suggestions to Avila & Ilitch about what to draw up for Lindor?

Lindor strikes me as someone looking for brighter lights. Det would likely have to seriously overpay. 

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Why are quibbling about the Yankees' salary situation when we should be sending suggestions to Avila & Ilitch about what to draw up for Lindor?

Were saying the tigers shouldn't be scared that the big bad Yankees are gonna get involved and therefore should go after him

Yeah thats it. Thats the ticket

Assuming Lindor makes it to free agency he does look like a perfect fit, atleast on paper.  Would fill a position of need and would still be well in his prime when the calvary comes up.

I don't necessarily expect the Tigers to get him  but I hope at the very least we are among the top suitors.  If we're not then that would make me skeptical about the merit behind Ilitch opening up the wallet when the time is right.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Lindor strikes me as someone looking for brighter lights. Det would likely have to seriously overpay. 

probably depends a lot on what the Tiger pitching looks like by the end of the season. A team that looks poised to win is probably a roughly equal attraction as other possible factors. Of course that cuts both ways - if none of the young pitchers appear or do anything in the short season, Tigers won't be looking too desirable to FA's

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

probably depends a lot on what the Tiger pitching looks like by the end of the season. A team that looks poised to win is probably a roughly equal attraction as other possible factors. Of course that cuts both ways - if none of the young pitchers appear or do anything in the short season, Tigers won't be looking too desirable to FA's

I agree, although we actually have until the end of the 2021 season for the pitching to look good/roster improved as he isn't a FA until after the 2021 season.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lindor isn't a FA till after next season so hopefully by then we'll start to look like a team on the rise and capable of contending with the addition of somebody like him. 

1 minute ago, 4hzglory said:

I agree, although we actually have until the end of the 2021 season for the pitching to look good/roster improved as he isn't a FA until after the 2021 season.

Yes - my bad - I was off a year - I thought he was done in CLE this year. The best long term strategy for Cleveland would be to deal him ASAP, recent evidence is they won't get much back for the rental if they wait far into 2021. I suppose if they think they have shot at winning they might hold him too long but I have my doubts Cleveland's pitching is going to look all that promising for '21.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

Yes - my bad - I was off a year - I thought he was done in CLE this year. The best long term strategy for Cleveland would be to deal him ASAP, recent evidence is they won't get much back for the rental if they wait far into 2021. I suppose if they think they have shot at winning they might hold him too long but I have my doubts Cleveland's pitching is going to look all that promising for '21.

I agree completely.

Yeah, I don’t think Lindor is going to hit free agency. Cleveland will trade him after this season and his new team will extend him, just like Betts.

free agent SS after 2020: Didi Gregorius, Marcus Semien, and Andrelton Simmons

free agent SS after 2021: Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, Carlos Correa, Trevor Story, and Corey Seager

Even Avila could make a good decision

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

free agent SS after 2020: Didi Gregorius, Marcus Semien, and Andrelton Simmons

free agent SS after 2021: Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, Carlos Correa, Trevor Story, and Corey Seager

Even Avila could make a good decision

1st three years for the Halos, Simmons generated 18.5 WAR for $25million.  But then last year - not so much!

That was still a terrible trade for Atl.