IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Reyes doubles in Castro. 1-1. First damage against Turnbull.

Guys, tigers aren't paying turnbull to pitch in a scrimmage. 

We have discussed previously the mechanics of baseball that compare favorably with the survival skills of prehistoric humans. This is a fascinating article discussing this issue:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-hunting-made-us-human/

The following link is another article so short I didn’t bother to quote it.

https://www.nature.com/news/baseball-players-reveal-how-humans-evolved-to-throw-so-well-1.13281

“Although to this day we humans with our bipedal form of locomotion are lousy sprinters compared with quadrupeds, we excel at long-distance running. No other living primate even comes close to this level of running ability...Humans can outrun a horse in a marathon...This capability evolved to help hominins hunt, allowing them to pursue their prey until it slowed or collapsed from exhaustion. Catching up to fleet-footed prey was only half the battle, however. To close the deal, the hunters needed to be able to deliver the deathblow, preferably with a heavy or sharp object lobbed from a safe distance...The key to our throwing skills, it turns out, lies in the elastic energy in our shoulder muscles. Studying college baseball players, investigation identified three features present in modern humans but not in chimps that greatly enhance our upper body's range of motion and thus its ability to store and release this energy: a flexible waist, a less twisted upper arm bone and a shoulder socket that faces out to the side rather than upward as it does in apes.”

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Feel better, bro? 

It's just a big pet peeve of mine. A copout for lazy people. "You're not paying me to do that." I do things beyond what people pay me to do every day because I like being prepared. People pay me a lot of money and they deserve that. I would imagine the org would expect a little extra effort from a guy they just paid $8MM, but "kids these days" and such. It's not a big deal, but I find it weird. Not sure why that needs explaining. And the "they're not paying him" take is pretty bad here, IMO. 

Lol criticizing a draft pick for not studying the history of the team that drafts him. 

Maybe he's dyslexic. Or hearing impaired. Or has "refuses to wear a mask" syndrome. Give him some mackinac fudge and a copy of.Ken Burns Baseball. Oh wait, Burns doesn't mention the Tigers. He'll be around Boyd. Boyd'll teach him some of everything. Probably even how to make mackinac fudge. Did I mention I can lose focus and tend to ramble?

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

It's just a big pet peeve of mine. A copout for lazy people. "You're not paying me to do that." I do things beyond what people pay me to do every day because I like being prepared. People pay me a lot of money and they deserve that. I would imagine the org would expect a little extra effort from a guy they just paid $8MM, but "kids these days" and such. It's not a big deal, but I find it weird. Not sure why that needs explaining. And the "they're not paying him" take is pretty bad here, IMO. 

The org, and every person you interact with in your life, don't care if you don't waste time "preparing" for something that has literally no relevance on your ability to do your job.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Lol criticizing a draft pick for not studying the history of the team that drafts him. 

Because you literally have to "study the history" of a team to know who its arguably most famous player over the last 50 years was. Another lazy copout. 

And is thinking something is weird the same thing as criticizing? Keep exaggerating. 

12 hours ago, TigerNation said:

The org, and every person you interact with in your life, don't care if you don't waste time "preparing" for something that has literally no relevance on your ability to do your job.

Yup.

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

Because you literally have to "study the history" of a team to know who its arguably most famous player over the last 50 years was. Another lazy copout. 

And is thinking something is weird the same thing as criticizing? Keep exaggerating. 

Hard to argue that Tram is the most famous player of the last 50 years, especially when you consider the state of media/coverage over the last 50 years. 

Cabrera and Verlander probably take that crown. 

Does anyone know if he knows who Miguel Cabrera is?

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Hard to argue that Tram is the most famous player of the last 50 years, especially when you consider the state of media/coverage over the last 50 years. 

Cabrera and Verlander probably take that crown. 

Does anyone know if he knows who Miguel Cabrera is?

I didn't mean current players.

23 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I didn't mean current players.

Ah yes, the old google search of “famous AND Detroit AND Tigers NOT current”

You're trying a little too hard here, Shelton. 

If only there was an easy way to look up the coaches you were likely to run into and see a quick synopsis of their accomplishments. That would literally take hours and hours. I can definitely see where me saying something like "I find it weird that he didn't" would infuriate so many of you. 

I do think it's a little weird.  I think there is an even faster method than Google.  Your Dad tells you.

24 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I do think it's a little weird.  I think there is an even faster method than Google.  Your Dad tells you.

Also Tigers PR, literally anyone already within the org, etc. Acting like there has to be some specific google search for it is silly. 

57 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You're trying a little too hard here, Shelton. 

I’m not actually committed to this argument. Just jokes, dude. 

51 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Isn’t that what the actual story is? His dad was like “tram is a big deal.” I guess it depends on whether Spenny’s book report was due before or after that, though. 

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m not actually committed to this argument. Just jokes, dude. 

You're just here to talk Tigers baseball with your homies? 

I am with Yoda.  You guys are all right that it is not important if Torkelson knows Tigers history, but that wasn't Yoda's point.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

We know that his mom and dad have their own consulting firm.  His dad's dream was for his kid to take over the business some day and didn't like that he was wasting his time playing a silly game.  There has been a little trouble between the two over this and they haven't been on speaking terms for a while.  Don't be fooled by the photo op the family took on draft day now that dad sees the kid will make millions.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

We know that his mom and dad have their own consulting firm.  His dad's dream was for his kid to take over the business some day and didn't like that he was wasting his time playing a silly game.  There has been a little trouble between the two over this and they haven't been on speaking terms for a while.  Don't be fooled by the photo op the family took on draft day now that dad sees the kid will make millions.  

Tork will be one of those child stars who get ripped off by their parents.

11 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Tork will be one of those child stars who get ripped off by their parents.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn out like the Menendez brothers. Unless, of course, his father is a Red Sox, Yankees or Dodgers fan.

There is no good answer for Greene, Torkelson, Dingler.You can't let them sit all year but the odds are they will be overmatched getting thrown in with what will probably be AAAA pitching at Toledo. You just hope it doesn't mess them up.

Then again, scrimmaging against the same set of pitchers for an extended period should eventually be an advantage to all the hitters as compared to the any advantage the pitchers would have in seeing the same hitters.

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There is no good answer for Greene, Torkelson, Dingler.You can't let them sit all year but the odds are they will be overmatched getting thrown in with what will probably be AAAA pitching at Toledo. You just hope it doesn't mess them up.

Then again, scrimmaging against the same set of pitchers for an extended period should eventually be an advantage to all the hitters as compared to the any advantage the pitchers would have in seeing the same hitters.

I think you can be strategic when you play these guys in the taxi games. Sure you can have em go up against the Mize's every now and then. But, its not like all of our pitchers down there are great/ready/even that good. I'm sure they can do just fine.