IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

3 hours ago, leflore said:

Some stores sell frozen Detroit style pizza in Minneapolis as well. Is there a yooper style pizza?

It's stuffed inside a pastry crust

Tigers site has some film of Christin Stewart from camp. They wanted to him to work on some things with his swing when camp broke up in March and in the video from this week his swing does look smoother. I haven't been very high on him but it's always interesting to see if a guy can find some little switch to turn to get better.

With the NL going to a DH he might carve out something of a career. His OF play last year was bottom 10% imho. Not good

2 minutes ago, leflore said:

With the NL going to a DH he might carve out something of a career. His OF play last year was bottom 10% imho. Not good

it's a good point.  Would be nice to see him get some AB's this year to establish some value, so we can flip him.  Unfortunately, the Tiger's DH position will likely be filled for the next 3-4 years.

McCosky has given up on trying to remember the difference between intra and inter.

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

McCosky has given up on trying to remember the difference between intra and inter.

So Castro has been perfect. 

And yeah, I've tried to correct McCosky several times. He doesn't get it. It's as if inter-league play doesn't exist. 

On 7/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, Oblong said:

When I see "once" I think of Johnny Dangerously

Rightfully so....my question is how can others not?

Time for a re watch it has been too many years since I have watched it.

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

And yeah, I've tried to correct McCosky several times. He doesn't get it. It's as if inter-league play doesn't exist. 

5/7 is the gift that keeps on giving. 

• Like 1

Tony Clark used to go 5 for 7 in scrimmages too.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Tony Clark used to go 5 for 7 in scrimmages too.  

And he was tall...so it seemed more impressive

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

For me it's effect and affect. Thankfully autocorrect is smarter than I am and reminds me often. 

It's always a double edged sword when I see positive results coming out of these games.  If all Tigers hitters have good numbers should we be excited for them or worried about the pitching staff?  Of course Skubal is exempt from this,  when he strikes out everybody I know its all on him cause even if he was facing the 27 Yankees the results would not be any different.  

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's always a double edged sword when I see positive results coming out of these games.  If all Tigers hitters have good numbers should we be excited for them or worried about the pitching staff?  Of course Skubal is exempt from this,  when he strikes out everybody I know its all on him cause even if he was facing the 27 Yankees the results would not be any different.  

Skubal might win 30 games this year, in a 60 game season.  The people at Cooperstown have already waived the rule for him about waiting until well after the end of one's career, and plans are underway to induct him next year.

The UFC is considering naming Skubal their heavyweight champion and then retiring the belt...his breaking ball is that devastating

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, Longgone said:

It's stuffed inside a pastry crust

Do you mean pastie? It is yooper after all

On 7/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, Yoda said:

He's also known which team would draft him for months. Probably should have done a little research. Especially considering how much down time he's had. Really weird. 

Not weird at all. We’re not paying Tork $8 million to learn about old Tigers players. 

On 7/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Even post google, I literally have never googled a boss or a co-worker.

I actually managed someone with some level of fame in an unrelated milieu, and the individual told me about his 2nd career (which garnered him internet fame) well into our working relationship because a time conflict arose across careers.

I don't think this guy thought less of me for not knowing who he was, but if he does, then I guess he does.

I took a consulting job with a company where one of the managers was a contestant with her family on the Amazing Race maybe five to so years prior. She seemed genuinely surprised and a little annoyed that I had no idea who she was. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I took a consulting job with a company where one of the managers was a contestant with her family on the Amazing Race maybe five to so years prior. She seemed genuinely surprised and a little annoyed that I had no idea who she was. 

Did she know that you are a famous SABR historian?  

• Haha 1

Schoop takes Ronnia Garcia deep in the first run of the 1st streamed game.

The stream is good quality. I have it up on a 55" screen and it looks fine.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:15 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

Tigers site has some film of Christin Stewart from camp. They wanted to him to work on some things with his swing when camp broke up in March and in the video from this week his swing does look smoother. I haven't been very high on him but it's always interesting to see if a guy can find some little switch to turn to get better.

A.I. Avila had to send him down to Triple A because he hit like .100 across 50 or so at bats. He couldnt ignore it any longer. 

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Did she know that you are a famous SABR historian?  

No, and I was genuinely surprised and a little annoyed that she didn’t. 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not weird at all. We’re not paying Tork $8 million to learn about old Tigers players. 

Well no ****? What next, we're not paying him to practice? Not paying him to catch popups? Got any more gems?