• Daniel Stumpf – $800K
  • John Hicks – $1.7MM
  • JaCoby Jones – $1.4MM

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

they won't pay Blaine 1.8

they will try to cut Fulmer down farther than 2.8

I also doubt they pay Hicks 1.7. We'll see

45 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My memory tells me that Benoit threw a good pitch too... 

I remember being mad that Leyland wasn't using Porcello in relief... 

I remember being mad that Leyland wasted Smyly. 1 batter only.

Hicks? I'd DFA Hicks then turn around and resign him to a minor league contract with a major league invite. Ditto Stumpf. If someone else wants either of them, they go. C'est la vie. *IF* Hardy's arm is healthy he's probably worth the $1.8M. He was pretty much just a shell of himself in what he played of this season.

Fulmer could be interesting. With Michael you not only have the TJ recovery, but in addition the whole question of fixing the delivery to save the knee was still unresolved before he blew the UCL. $2.8M isn't huge change in today's MLB but Fulmer is a guy with multiple question marks.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Isn't Norris questionable at $2.9 million or am I a bit too negative?

Two things with Daniel. He got through a season unhurt. And as he got some innings under his belt he did start to control his delivery. In his last 13 games: 48IP; 40H, 46K, 13BB, 3.19 ERA, 1.1 WHIP. All pitchers are risky, but I think cutting Norris loose at this point would be pennny-wise, pound foolish. I still think he needs more work on his mechanics, but he can get people out even as he is.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kdog said:

way too negative; if he stays healthy, he will easily have surplus value

35 minutes ago, kdog said:

I would hope we'd spend that much on a similar pitcher via free agency.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I would hope we'd spend that much on a similar pitcher via free agency.

That kind of value is Tyson Ross or Matt Moore.

I wouldn't mind bringing Moore back, it was an extremely small sample but between spring training and his regular season start I thought his stuff looked good.   

7 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

You'll probably be able to walk up the day of the game and buy tickets 🙂

I hope there’s even a game! Rays down 4-1 early on.

11 hours ago, kdog said:

Tigers (9)

• Blaine Hardy – $1.8MM
  • Daniel Norris – $2.9MM
  • Michael Fulmer – $2.8MM
  • Matthew Boyd – $6.4MM
  • Buck Farmer – $1.1MM
  • Drew VerHagen – $900K
  • Daniel Stumpf – $800K
  • John Hicks – $1.7MM
  • JaCoby Jones – $1.4MM

We must be bored if we’re talking about this. There’s really no money at stake here at all. 

19 hours ago, six-hopper said:

While the postseason  generally involves teams with good pitchers, it also generally involves teams with good hitters.  While some guys do especially well in their small-sample postseason appearances, when the best face the best, some of them aren't going to fare as well as they usually do.  Plus, although Kershaw is still good, he is a ways past his peak.

That's valid.

Looking at Kershaw's postseason game log he's had a bunch of really good starts including a few dominant ones(5 starts of atleast 7IP and 3 HITS or less) but when he's been bad he's been bad, atleast from a run scoring standpoint.  One start he gave up 8 runs despite an 11:0 K to BB ratio, but unfortunately for him all 8 baserunners ended up scoring.     

The other night though on those HRs, I thought the pitch to Rendon was good but Rendon just muscled it out.  The pitch to Soto was a meatball but I think that was just a get me over breaking ball not expecting him to be sitting on that on the first pitch.   

23 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Two things with Daniel. He got through a season unhurt. And as he got some innings under his belt he did start to control his delivery. In his last 13 games: 48IP; 40H, 46K, 13BB, 3.19 ERA, 1.1 WHIP. All pitchers are risky, but I think cutting Norris loose at this point would be pennny-wise, pound foolish. I still think he needs more work on his mechanics, but he can get people out even as he is.

These arbitration numbers are laughably low, just further proof of the lack of talent on the major league roster. I didn't total up the numbers of every other team, but a quick glance suggests the Tigers aren't getting much from players in their prime (as if that's news to us). 

I want all four teams in the league championship series to lose.

I don’t want the Yankees to win for obvious reasons. I don’t want the Nats to win because I can’t stand seeing Scherzer celebrate a World Series without me, which is petty I’ll admit. I don’t want the Astros to win again for equally petty reasons even though I love JV. And I hate the Cardinals for obvious reasons. 

GO YANKEES and may God have mercy on my soul. Their victory will be blared triumphally from every media outlet conceivable. 

NASA will probably find some way to get orbiting satellites to do a laser show that will spell out across the broad expanse of the sky in vibrant fireworks color YANKEES WIN! 

Remote cargo cults in the South Pacific will see the display, getting rid of the B-29’s they’ve revered for 75 years and find a new God to worship. YANKEES WIN!

I'd rather root for Verlander than the Evil Empire. And it's not even close.

Astros versus Nationals so we can see a Verlander-vs-Scherzer matchup...!!!

Anibal is also on the Nats so we could see 3/5 of our old starting rotation starting in the World Series 5 years after we last made the playoffs.