IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Funny thing is that coming out of the gate next year it's not going to be an inexperienced pitching staff other than Turnbull. Boyd, Norris, Zimmermann and even VerHagen have all been around for a while now, and if the first addition to the staff mid-season turns out to be Fulmer the same applies.

Moore and Ross were supposed to be a part of this season's rotation and the Tigers got all of 45 and 1/3 innings out of them.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Damn.  That's like triple dog daring.  

Sadly my account there tells a sad tale of lost wagers over the years - but so far no complaints from the winners.

57 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Moore remains a huge, What if?

People forget that those two were a big reason the year started out with a surprise. 

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Sadly my account there tells a sad tale of lost wagers over the years - but so far no complaints from the winners.

The lemon bars sounded intriguing.

28 minutes ago, thefunk said:

People forget that those two were a big reason the year started out with a surprise. 

Disagree. Matt Moore and Tyson Ross had almost no impact on the 18-20 start.

31 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The lemon bars sounded intriguing.

I've found almost everything I've tried there to be tasty.   If you ever find yourself in little Atlanta, Mi it's worth a stop.  It adds to my list of excuses to take the grandkids and go look for the elk herds.  Plus the ladies that own it are exceptionally nice 

It's hard to believe that Matt Moore and Tyson Ross were apart of the team this year, I swear it feels like atleast a season ago since they were here.  

hot take: the only tiger in the lineup tonight who will be with the team the next time the tigers are a playoff contender is miguel cabrera.

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

hot take: the only tiger in the lineup tonight who will be with the team the next time the tigers are a playoff contender is miguel cabrera.

IDK, how many guys that have made Cabrera level money hang around for a decade as 1st/3rd base coaches?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Will he still be playing or coaching in 2036?

image.png.71a6baaa3de2e0a3a07e7c689a58c6a9.png

In all honesty, I could see Reyes, Castro, Stewart, Demeritte, or Candelario as a part of it, but I wouldn't put money on any one of them in particular being on it.

28 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Will he still be playing or coaching in 2036?

image.png.71a6baaa3de2e0a3a07e7c689a58c6a9.png

In all honesty, I could see Reyes, Castro, Stewart, Demeritte, or Candelario as a part of it, but I wouldn't put money on any one of them in particular being on it.

There is very little chance that any members of the current 40 man roster are ever on a Tigers playoff roster....maybe one of the Castros?  Maybe Rogers.  The rest, no way.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Agree.  The only two that might have a shot are Stewie and Demeritte, though I wouldn’t bet on them.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree.  The only two that might have a shot are Stewie and Demeritte, though I wouldn’t bet on them.

I'd put W. Castro's odds above Stewart's. Even if he starts hitting better I see him as more likely to be traded than to remain. I'll be surprised if a team that wasn't interested in keeping Nick keeps Stewart, who is even a worse OF.

Stewart, Demeritte, W. Castro, H. Castro - all would be lucky to wind up as bench players on a good team, and all could be serviceable starters on a bad team if things go well for them.  I just don't see any of these guys being plus starters on a playoff team.

Parades is the someone who I think could be a plus starter on a playoff team at some point.  Jake Rogers too if he can develop 20-hr power.

Surprises happen......but I could see as many as 8 or 9 or as few as 1 or 2.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2019-roster.shtml

Garcia, Turnbull, Jiminez, Norris, Boyd, Reyes, Rogers, Demeritte, HCastro, WCastro, Stewart, Greiner, Perez all have a chance...Greiner has to hit, Stewart has to field, Perez has to stay healthy, etc, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Stewart, Demeritte, W. Castro, H. Castro - all would be lucky to wind up as bench players on a good team, and all could be serviceable starters on a bad team if things go well for them.  I just don't see any of these guys being plus starters on a playoff team.

Parades is the someone who I think could be a plus starter on a playoff team at some point.  Jake Rogers too if he can develop 20-hr power.

There's nobody to build around, that's for sure.  But there are also enough to positions to fill that there is room for a few to still be around, even if only somewhere between a platoon or bench type or a starter hitting lower in the lineup.

31 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There's nobody to build around, that's for sure.  But there are also enough to positions to fill that there is room for a few to still be around, even if only somewhere between a platoon or bench type or a starter hitting lower in the lineup.

Wow, no love for JaCoby Jones in this thread.  With his eleven home runs in 88 games, he's one of the Tigers' big power threats.  Plus he's a center fielder.  Basically our Mike Trout.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, LooseGoose said:

I'll wager you a baklava it is.   Your choice of flavor.

The Baklava Shop

It will be tough to suck as bad as they did this year, but I am sure they can lose at least 100 games again next year.

9 hours ago, sabretooth said:

There is very little chance that any members of the current 40 man roster are ever on a Tigers playoff roster....maybe one of the Castros?  Maybe Rogers.  The rest, no way.

Rogers?  yikes.  He might stick as a backup catcher, but with his lack of hitting ability, I am not sure if he can even stick in that capacity.

I know I'm in the minority here but at age 24 I become more convinced that Tyler Alexander has a future in MLB.

38 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Rogers?  yikes.  He might stick as a backup catcher, but with his lack of hitting ability, I am not sure if he can even stick in that capacity.

I don't know where Jake's career will shake out but they have pushed him too hard this season so it's not a very fair test yet.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know where Jake's career will shake out but they have pushed him too hard this season so it's not a very fair test yet.

The problem is when you move someone too quickly and destroy their confidence.  He was a marginal hitter to begin with, so why not let him get comfortable against AAA pitchers?  How could the Tigers front office not understand that he was going to struggle hitting MLB pitching?  His track record was pretty clear on that.

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The problem is when you move someone too quickly and destroy their confidence.  He was a marginal hitter to begin with, so why not let him get comfortable against AAA pitchers?  How could the Tigers front office not understand that he was going to struggle hitting MLB pitching?  His track record was pretty clear on that.

He and TheLegendaryOne will straighten things out this winter.