IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

40 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

There was a bill board for canabis infused edibles on us 23 across the freeway from the Federal Prison in Milan.  There were probably guys locked up in there for trafficking in weed.  I wonder how they felt seeing that every day.

Small marijuana dealers seldom go to prison. Large dealers knew they were committing a serious felony. There was talk of expunging small possession convictions but I'm not sure how far that talk got.

Father’s Day we went to Frankenmuth.  Decided to take 54 back to Flint. I like the scenic routes.  I swear every half mile was a pot shop.  I thought I was on 8 mile.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Father’s Day we went to Frankenmuth.  Decided to take 54 back to Flint. I like the scenic routes.  I swear every half mile was a pot shop.  I thought I was on 8 mile.  

Yeah, it's like the wild west right now. The supply and demand has to work itself out. I think we may find there is still a much higher (pun) demand than there is supply. A state full of stoners....😔😔😔

30 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, it's like the wild west right now. The supply and demand has to work itself out. I think we may find there is still a much higher (pun) demand than there is supply. A state full of stoners....😔😔😔

Better than drunks. Maybe they'll replace a few liquor stores. 

The legal stores in Ontario could not keep up with demand at first, I'm not sure what it's like now.  You can also grow 4 plants per person in your home.  The reason why demand is so high is that the boomers are back, a lot of them had not smoked any grass in 40 years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

The legal stores in Ontario could not keep up with demand at first, I'm not sure what it's like now.  You can also grow 4 plants per person in your home.  The reason why demand is so high is that the boomers are back, a lot of them had not smoked any grass in 40 years.

And alot of them have been smoking for 40+ years. The demand is there because people who smoke it want it legal. Many in California have gone back to the black market because of the prices (taxes). And Michigan citizens can also grow plants, I believe 12 plants? But they're not like a typical houseplant, they need special attention to produce. There's actually college courses on the growing and business sides of this emerging business.

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And alot of them have been smoking for 40+ years. The demand is there because people who smoke it want it legal. Many in California have gone back to the black market because of the prices (taxes). And Michigan citizens can also grow plants, I believe 12 plants? But they're not like a typical houseplant, they need special attention to produce. There's actually college courses on the growing and business sides of this emerging business.

No, I am not making this up.  There is a big wave of people who have not smoked since university, which is the number one reason why the legal market could not keep up.  The people who had been smoking for 40 years already had long-established suppliers, at prices lower than the government store.  They weren't interested in paying higher prices at the government store, and they had nothing to do with high demand for the legal products.

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

No, I am not making this up.  There is a big wave of people who have not smoked since university, which is the number one reason why the legal market could not keep up.  The people who had been smoking for 40 years already had long-established suppliers, at prices lower than the government store.  They weren't interested in paying higher prices at the government store, and they had nothing to do with high demand for the legal products.

Maybe in Canada, the demand is created by 60+year olds who haven't used cannabis for 40+ years. OK. But whenever I drive past a dispensary here in Michigan, I see 25 to 40 year olds waiting to get in. I assumed the laws were passed by people who currently smoke it, not by people who may decide they may want to. 

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe in Canada, the demand is created by 60+year olds who haven't used cannabis for 40+ years. 

Of the top of my head I can cite two people in my  AARP cohort who were 'familiar' with the product from the '70's and now have taken it up for help with chronic pain so I can believe some of that is out there, but just anecdotally I haven't seen any big rush among my friends to take it up again.

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't think you need to give special attention to plants to produce weed, although I believe you do need to cultivate them closely if you want good weed.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe in Canada, the demand is created by 60+year olds who haven't used cannabis for 40+ years. OK. But whenever I drive past a dispensary here in Michigan, I see 25 to 40 year olds waiting to get in. I assumed the laws were passed by people who currently smoke it, not by people who may decide they may want to. 

Yes, my original post said "Ontario", not "Michigan".

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't think you need to give special attention to plants to produce weed, although I believe you do need to cultivate them closely if you want good weed.

Well, anyone can throw some seeds in the dirt and grow a plant. But there is actual science to producing the highest quality cannabis plants and producing the highest yield. Like I said, there are actual colleges teaching people the best methods. Lighting,  nutrients and curing the cannabis correctly are all important. The stuff they produce now is much, much different than the ditch weed the kids were smoking in the '60's and '70's. Or so I've heard...😃😃

On 7/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, leflore said:

Lol, yeah Huff seems like a dick

Maybe guess is he is one in real life, too, not just cyber life.

I've found and watched some older Tiger games on YouTube over the past week.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but the idea crossed my mind the other day.  There was a game from 1978 in Toronto, really good video, and Kell & Kaline were on the call.  One of the unique things, to me anyway, was that Mickey Stanley was in RF with Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, and Lance Parrish up the middle.  I guess I never considered any of the 68 group playing alongside with the 84 group.

Anyway, the above is the Hall of Fame game in Cooperstown from 1984.  TBS broadcasts it, and video is pretty clear albeit the camera work and angles are a bit different.  Its surprising to me that Kirk Gibson and Darrell Evans play in the game, albeit not for long.  The field is cozy and there's a green tarp behind the backstop.  The broadcasters mention the field is used for amateur and semi pro games, and it certainly has that feel to it.  It was a fun multitasking time kill for 2 hours.

35 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Maybe guess is he is one in real life, too, not just cyber life.

I read recently where he has a history substance abuse and depression, so his behavior could be a manifestation of his mental health situation.   

21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I read recently where he has a history substance abuse and depression, so his behavior could be a manifestation of his mental health situation.   

I think I recall hearing something about the substance abuse before as well.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Small marijuana dealers seldom go to prison. Large dealers knew they were committing a serious felony. There was talk of expunging small possession convictions but I'm not sure how far that talk got.

I think the point is...people are now in jail for doing something that is now legal and that has to rankle them a bit

You've likely seen this, I hadn't until today. 1958 Tigers 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, Oblong said:

I ran my employers Adrian, MI branch during the lockdown.  Adrian has...maybe...23k people residing there. On the main drag by the mall (which was just condemned, BTW) there were four "dispensaries" within a half mile of each other and a fifth one maybe a mile away towards the Hispanic neighborhood.  The line for the KFC drive thru in the middle of all this is almost always out into the street

• Like 2

Just saw the schedule release. RIP to da traditional Thursday afternoon games. 

15 hours ago, leflore said:

You've likely seen this, I hadn't until today. 1958 Tigers 

I for one had NOT seen this. Awesome.

We went to Buddy's in Detroit for lunch today... walked over to the stadium.  I never noticed this before but they now have screens up so you can't really see inside from the street like you could before.  You can a little but the holes are small.  Forget taking a picture.   

On the way back to our car I"m wondering if we passed two prospects coming in.  Young guys in early 20s wearing athletic clothes with backpacks.... they looked in decent shape.  It was pretty dead around the stadium and they were walking towards it from the downtown area so maybe the team put them up in an apartment or condo or whatever...

On 7/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, Lei Pong said:

I ran my employers Adrian, MI branch during the lockdown.  Adrian has...maybe...23k people residing there. On the main drag by the mall (which was just condemned, BTW) there were four "dispensaries" within a half mile of each other and a fifth one maybe a mile away towards the Hispanic neighborhood.  The line for the KFC drive thru in the middle of all this is almost always out into the street

My hometown.

• Like 1