IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

How do we, as a society, do a better job of providing educational, sports and personal growth opportunities in general to children independent of the wealth of their parents? 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How do we, as a society, do a better job of providing educational, sports and personal growth opportunities in general to children independent of the wealth of their parents? 

Exactly. I think it starts with awareness, posing questions and community dialogue. The bus system was closed for weeks in the Twin Cities and now runs only on Saturday schedule. How do low income kids get anywhere right now? Few have bikes. Theft is huge in these parts. Imho you have to address poverty and systemic racism. In MN approx 70% of adult whites own their homes. Less than 20% of blacks. But this is content for the political forum. I hate political forums

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leflore said:

Crazy stuff. Very cool

I agree, what are the odds? As rare as Franklin Perez sustaining health?

Ok, that was mean. I need some bread pudding

Both balls weren't actually hit. If you pause it and go frame by frame, the foul ball hits in the dirt. Just an optical illusion. 

At 6 PM this evening the Tigers will be doing a Zoom presentation with Nate Robertson, Craig Monroe, and Todd Jones. I think Matt Shepherd is hosting it. Check it out on the Tigers MLB page if you’re interested.

I do miss getting my fill of bland aphorisms and jock cliches.

Yeah, not interested in anything that includes “Shep.”

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

communism?

I have to say, I find it very interesting that there is so much national discussion as to whether the winner of the 2020 World Series would be “valid.” As if the winner of any of the other 8/10 team tournaments over the past 25 or so years would somehow be more valid because they played more regular season games. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The only choices are capitalism and communism.

one day youre giving kids free rides to baseball practice, the next day were all going to the gulag.

its a slippery slope.

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I have to say, I find it very interesting that there is so much national discussion as to whether the winner of the 2020 World Series would be “valid.” As if the winner of any of the other 8/10 team tournaments over the past 25 or so years would somehow be more valid because they played more regular season games. 

Good point.  The post-season tournament should always be considered separate from the regular season.  We can celebrate both of them.  

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

At 6 PM this evening the Tigers will be doing a Zoom presentation with Nate Robertson, Craig Monroe, and Todd Jones. I think Matt Shepherd is hosting it. Check it out on the Tigers MLB page if you’re interested.

I have a hard time romanticizing the 2006 Tigers.  And as Shelton mentioned, the inclusion of "Shep" is a non-starter for me.  Hard pass.

In that I wouldn’t know Shepherd from the next guy, it’s not an issue. We don’t do TV. 

15 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In that I wouldn’t know Shepherd from the next guy, it’s not an issue. We don’t do TV. 

3f4b066cc124e302c188ac6b961e1acb.jpg

16 minutes ago, 1776 said:

We don’t do TV. 

living up to your handle.  

Respect GIFs | Tenor

On 6/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, Yoda said:

From context, guessing a beat reporter. Gets to hang in locker rooms and such. 

I guess I've missed the context.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:38 AM, chasfh said:

Buffalo has a very nice ballpark.

Kind of interesting how times change.  Buffalo was rumored as a potential expansion team back, what, 20-25 years ago?  They've been bypassed by Denver, Miami, Tampa, Phoenix, and Washington (Expos relocation).  I would guess Charlotte would be ahead of Buffalo right now.  Other locales are probably debatable.

54 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I guess I've missed the context.

I've commented about it in the past.  I had assumed all the regulars knew her profession.

51 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Kind of interesting how times change.  Buffalo was rumored as a potential expansion team back, what, 20-25 years ago?  They've been bypassed by Denver, Miami, Tampa, Phoenix, and Washington (Expos relocation).  I would guess Charlotte would be ahead of Buffalo right now.  Other locales are probably debatable.

Late 80s/early 90s. So, about 30 years. Don't time fly?

One year, when I was doing media at Doner, WJR had a contest, a baseball quiz, strictly for the Detroit advertising media community. First prize was a baseball jacket, your choice of teams. I won. I asked for a Buffalo Bisons jacket, because I had read a few impressive contemporaneous articles about their awesome new stadium and their with-it ownership group, and they looked like they could seriously get the next MLB expansion franchise, so I wanted to be ahead of that curve.

Spoiler alert: they didn't the franchise. But I still have the jacket. I no longer wear it, basically because I no longer wear long-sleeved button shirts tucked into stone-washed straight-leg jeans along with white gym socks and adidas sneakers, either.

Hey, don't judge me, it was the late 80s.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I've commented about it in the past.  I had assumed all the regulars knew her profession.

I think I missed that sprinkler party.

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

I would say this sounds boring, but I also found myself stuck on a show about Bigfoot last night.  If I recall the scenario correctly, they were in Alaska.  One of the scientists was named Bobo and wore a hat with the phrase "Keep It Suatchy" on it.  Yeah, that was my June 30 replacement for the Twins @ Tigers game being COVIDed out.

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

3f4b066cc124e302c188ac6b961e1acb.jpg

Looks like they’re anxiously waiting for the Powerball numbers to be announced. Aunt Beulah has pen in hand to record the numbers. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Not everybody reads your posts.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't have you on Ignore...not technically...

• Haha 1