IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

have to disagree. Federal policies had huge impacts on the collapse of US urban areas staring in the 60's. From the Interstate System and other mass transit funding priorities, to HUD mortgage policies, to funding and direction of public housing projects, to environmental policies that favored abandonment of urban industrial property. The list is both long and significant.

Just finished reading, ‘Great Society’ by Amity Shlaes. Good book covering a lot of what you referred to. You refer to “Federal policies” and I understand where you’re coming from regarding the history of such. However, Michigan has 14 House members and two Senators in Washington. The House of Representatives and the Senate are the way to change. I know that Washington is uber politicized right now but the legislators are the ones responsible for advocating for change. Change will have to be from the people’s representatives. It won’t happen waiting for the executive. Of course, the state level plays a part as well. 

19 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

All I did was mention Buffalo...

Plug Buffalo.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

OK...from the way I understand it, most countries aren't allowing Americans into their country. I'm not sure if Canada would make an exception for baseball. If not, it would be sending a big F you to Donald.

I don't think Trump is a factor.  It's just that the baseball and hockey that is being proposed is so trivial and meaningless that it is ludicrous to jeopardize public health for it.  Imagine letting hundreds of people into the country every month, who have previously been in Florida or Texas or California.  It is nuts.

That border has been closed since early March and it needs to stay that way.  But I give Rogers at least a 50% chance of lobbying their way into opening for baseball.  They don't give a **** about anyone's health.  I'm not that worried about hockey, Bettman is too smart to pick Toronto, there is too much risk associated with it.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

not sure what that has to do with buffalo, but ok.

detroit being a "less than ideal city" doesnt have anything to do with trump.

Because you said "maybe a detroit message board is the wrong place to ask that question..." I was just picking on you man. 

27 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Just finished reading, ‘Great Society’ by Amity Shlaes. Good book covering a lot of what you referred to. You refer to “Federal policies” and I understand where you’re coming from regarding the history of such. However, Michigan has 14 House members and two Senators in Washington. The House of Representatives and the Senate are the way to change. I know that Washington is uber politicized right now but the legislators are the ones responsible for advocating for change. Change will have to be from the people’s representatives. It won’t happen waiting for the executive. Of course, the state level plays a part as well. 

this is always an interesting discussion but we are far afield of the thread. I really wasn't paying attention to which thread this was when I replied to your post but I suggest we leave it here.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wonder if they’re discussing baseball in the Politics forum?

Well Putin allegedly hired hitmen. All politicians throw curveballs. Lots of discussion about facemasks, but not as much about gloves these days. 

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is always an interesting discussion but we are far afield of the thread. I really wasn't paying attention to which thread this was when I replied to your post but I suggest we leave it here.

Wholeheartedly concur. Excellent idea. 

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

Because you said "maybe a detroit message board is the wrong place to ask that question..." I was just picking on you man. 

lol.  i figured as much.

i never knew saying buffalo sucks would be so controversial.  :)

10 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I don't think Trump is a factor.  It's just that the baseball and hockey that is being proposed is so trivial and meaningless that it is ludicrous to jeopardize public health for it.  Imagine letting hundreds of people into the country every month, who have previously been in Florida or Texas or California.  It is nuts.

That border has been closed since early March and it needs to stay that way.  But I give Rogers at least a 50% chance of lobbying their way into opening for baseball.  They don't give a **** about anyone's health.  I'm not that worried about hockey, Bettman is too smart to pick Toronto, there is too much risk associated with it.

See..I don't agree. You probably know much more about Canadian politics than I do but it seems to me the quickest way to end the season is to have an outbreak among Blue Jay players in Canada. I agree Canada wouldn't care as much if the Jays played in Buffalo and there was an outbreak in Buffalo. And don't underestimate the Trump factor. Many of these countries banning Americans are doing so without even having talks with his administration to try and work something out. With a more stable government, I'm sure there would be talks to try and allow visitors while keeping everyone safe. Of course, with a more stable government, this virus would have been handled in a more effective way.

• Like 1

i think countries are banning americans from traveling to them because we have no control over the virus and could easily re-infect their populations.

Just now, Buddha said:

i think countries are banning americans from traveling to them because we have no control over the virus and could easily re-infect their populations.

I agree. But any possibility of controlling it was ineffective because of the way it was handled. Making masks mandatory throughout the country may have prevented many cases and deaths. We'll never know. But as it is, our Detroit sports teams all stink pretty bad right now. So watching all the classic Detroit baseball, hockey and basketball games isn't the worst thing. I did miss the classic Lions games though. 😃😃

17 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Correct.  However you got there, it has nothing to do with Trump at this point.  It wouldn't matter who was in government, there would be no negotiations about opening the border.

Ian Desmond also opting out and spilling a lot of pixels along the way. Powerful stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Ian Desmond also opting out and spilling a lot of pixels along the way. Powerful stuff.

Thanks for posting. Great stuff and good for him. Hopefully the door has been opened for deeper and sustaining change that will include many systems, including professional sports

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Powerful indeed.  

26 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Powerful indeed.  

It is. And, of course, he’s getting an earful of s*** from red hats, because America.

Kinda reminds me of the Randy Johnson bird incident without the dead bird.  Just 1 in a million timing.   

• Like 1

As expected, MiLB today officially canceled their 2020 season.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kinda reminds me of the Randy Johnson bird incident without the dead bird.  Just 1 in a million timing.   

Crazy stuff. Very cool

I agree, what are the odds? As rare as Franklin Perez sustaining health?

Ok, that was mean. I need some bread pudding

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Excellent questions he poses.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Excellent questions he poses.

which ones?