IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Chicks dig the Tork and Dingler.

Back in the day it was Cash and Fingers

Assuming Tork goes once he is signed the only guy not there that I wish was is Parker Meadows.  

Aside from Greene and now Tork I still think he has the most potential upside amongst position prospects so I'd like to see him get some work in this year.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Assuming Tork goes once he is signed the only guy not there that I wish was is Parker Meadows.  

Aside from Greene and now Tork I still think he has the most potential upside amongst position prospects so I'd like to see him get some work in this year.

Situation sucks for an A ball player. With the Tigers pitching prospects being as good as they are, the jump in the level of pitching a West Michigan player faces in the pool is extreme. Clearly they don't want guys to miss the development year but it will be interesting to see if Greene is able to raise his game enough to compete at all or if his inclusion is just an example of unbridled hope.

So here is a question - how will they organize the Toledo end of the pool play? Who keeps score? What kind of reporting will be available for us morons to obsess over?

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Situation sucks for an A ball player. With the Tigers pitching prospects being as good as they are, the jump in the level of pitching a West Michigan player faces in the pool is extreme. Clearly they don't want guys to miss the development year but it will be interesting to see if Greene is able to raise his game enough to compete at all or if his inclusion is just an example of unbridled hope.

So here is a question - how will they organize the Toledo end of the pool play? Who keeps score? What kind of reporting will be available for us morons to obsess over?

I would guess that the tigers will provide almost daily updates of which prospects had a good showing in their scrimmage. They will stay silent about Daz Cameron going 0x5, though. 

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would guess that the tigers will provide almost daily updates of which prospects had a good showing in their scrimmage. They will stay silent about Daz Cameron going 0x5, though. 

Do you suppose the league is going to supply pool umpires? I suppose if all the MiLB guys are out of work teams can hire them locally ad hoc.

IDK - I read Passan's long write-up from a couple of days ago - it sounds like it's going to take a small miracle, or maybe several of them,  to get any of these games played.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

They will have to come up with something for the rest of the minor leaguers, we just haven't heard what it is yet. I'm sure it will be something similar to extended spring training, or instructional camp, once it can be done safely.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Do you suppose the league is going to supply pool umpires? I suppose if all the MiLB guys are out of work teams can hire them locally ad hoc.

IDK - I read Passan's long write-up from a couple of days ago - it sounds like it's going to take a small miracle, or maybe several of them,  to get any of these games played.

I don’t think it is going to take all that much effort to play these games.

Once these guys are back in camp, it’s going to be hammered home very clearly that they need to be responsible to prevent any outbreaks. It’s easier to stay vigilant and responsible when you get into your routine and with your paycheck on the line if the league has to shut down. 

Spikes in the general population shouldn’t have much effect on the teams.

As for the umpires, I would think you could hire minor league umps, but I also think they will probably use this as an opportunity to test out the robot strike zones.

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I feel like it may be worth mentioning that fulmer currently being on the 60 day disabled list would have nothing to do with stokes being on the 60 man roster. Fulmer can remain on the 60-day list until it is time for him to be placed on the active roster. You don’t have to be on the 40 man or not on the disabled list to be part of training camp. Even if stokes had been removed from the 40, that doesn’t prevent him from being named to the 60 man. 

McCosky is just so sloppy sometimes. It’s good for him to identify the absence of stokes, of course. There is probably a story or explanation there. Why not report on it then? Instead, he throws out a “presumably” to imply that stokes was booted from the squad because Michael fulmer is cleared to pitch.

Wouldnt a competent editor flag something like “presumably”?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I feel like it may be worth mentioning that fulmer currently being on the 60 day disabled list would have nothing to do with stokes being on the 60 man roster. Fulmer can remain on the 60-day list until it is time for him to be placed on the active roster. You don’t have to be on the 40 man or not on the disabled list to be part of training camp. Even if stokes had been removed from the 40, that doesn’t prevent him from being named to the 60 man. 

McCosky is just so sloppy sometimes. It’s good for him to identify the absence of stokes, of course. There is probably a story or explanation there. Why not report on it then? Instead, he throws out a “presumably” to imply that stokes was booted from the squad because Michael fulmer is cleared to pitch.

Wouldnt a competent editor flag something like “presumably”?

So I would think there were two groups of people that had priority to be in the 60. The first group is the guys that are the 'established' pros that would have been the likely 25 coming out of ST, plus a few of the obvious depth guys. But after that I think the second group were not based on who the best players are in terms of being able to fill in with the pro club, but rather which prospects they valued highest and they cared the most about the loss of a season for. Stokes is a guy with a couple of thousand MiLB AB. Loss of year for him is not as critical as for say - Greene, even though Stokes would be a far more likely call up in the short season than Greene.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So I would think there were two groups of people that had priority to be in the 60. The first group is the guys that are the 'established' pros that would have been the likely 25 coming out of ST, plus a few of the obvious depth guys. But after that I think the second group were not based on who the best players are in terms of being able to fill in with the pro club, but rather which prospects they valued highest and they cared the most about the loss of a season for. Stokes is a guy with a couple of thousand MiLB AB. Loss of year for him is not as critical as for say - Greene, even though Stokes would be a far more likely call up in the short season than Greene.

I don’t think it’s that complicated. Apparently stokes injured his hand. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

As for the umpires, I would think you could hire minor league umps, but I also think they will probably use this as an opportunity to test out the robot strike zones.

It will give rise to the robotic umpires and will prove in history the first step in achieving Skynet.

12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think it’s that complicated. Apparently stokes injured his hand. 

well that would make a difference. Still, I think the paradigm still applies. There were guys at Toledo last year that would be more likely to be of actually use to the Tigers this year in a major league game f they needed bodies than Greene, Torkelson, F. Perez or Dingler are likely to be.

Am I the only one who thinks they'll never even get the season started? Even with no outbreaks in Detroit, an outbreak in any other city could shut everything down.

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

well that would make a difference. Still, I think the paradigm still applies. There were guys at Toledo last year that would be more likely to be of actually use to the Tigers this year in a major league game f they needed bodies than Greene, Torkelson, F. Perez or Dingler are likely to be.

Well, sure. But the player pool also includes Tim Adelman, Hector Santiago, and Frank schwindel. I promise you these are real baseball players. 

anyway, my point was more to bag on McCosky for just making up news.

There are obviously a lot of different ways to construct your 60 man player pool. 

26 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Am I the only one who thinks they'll never even get the season started? Even with no outbreaks in Detroit, an outbreak in any other city could shut everything down.

To your point, I’m in the, ‘‘I’ll believe it when I see it” camp.

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

To your point, I’m in the, ‘‘I’ll believe it when I see it” camp.

That's where I am.

My wife asked me yesterday about how I am going to get the games on TV since I lost FSD (FUYouTubeTV).  I told her I didn't think there would be any season to worry about it.

There will be a season and there won’t be any significant outbreaks among the teams. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Well, sure. But the player pool also includes Tim Adelman, Hector Santiago, and Frank schwindel.

I thought Schwindel looked a little intriguing last year. Considering they weren't getting anything at 1b I wondered if they might not call him up for a trial, but I guess he was not intriguing enough to be worth even short term MLB money, roster spot, etc.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

That's where I am.

My wife asked me yesterday about how I am going to get the games on TV since I lost FSD (FUYouTubeTV).  I told her I didn't think there would be any season to worry about it.

I forgot all about how you got screwed by YouTube and Sinclair. There are a number of other services you could use for a month or two if you wanted the tigers, though, right? I forget which ones are still active and which ones carry FSD. What about Hulu TV?

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I forgot all about how you got screwed by YouTube and Sinclair. There are a number of other services you could use for a month or two if you wanted the tigers, though, right? I forget which ones are still active and which ones carry FSD. What about Hulu TV?

At one point, I saw YouTube TV carried FSD. I was going to cut the cord....eventually. So what's the story? They no longer carry it?

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

At one point, I saw YouTube TV carried FSD. I was going to cut the cord....eventually. So what's the story? They no longer carry it?

They still have it in most places. Cas lives in suburban Toledo and there were places that used to have it that lost it. His zip code happens to be one of those places. 

11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think Hulu might have it.  I stopped researching once everything was put on hold.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

YouTube dropped some regional channels from some subscribers.  Of course, the monthly rate didn't change. So FSD stopped at the state line.  No FSD for YTV subscribers in Toledo or any of Ohio.

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

There will be a season and there won’t be any significant outbreaks among the teams. 

I really like your optimism, I really do. But seeing all the idiots out and about, unmasked, makes me question the intelligence of the American people. Not bringing politics into it, but it seems a certain segment of society either; 1. Could.care less about others. 2. Refuse to admit the virus is real. 3. Trying to act tough and think they won't get sick. Or 4. Are just too dang stupid to understand the purpose of wearing masks. Or, a bit of each all combined.