IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He has been solid, and he is a legit major leaguer, but he’s not real good. He has value, but he’s not real good. A real good major leaguer contends for All-Star games. Niko hasn’t done that, and with his age 28 season coming up, odds are against him.

That said, this is the age of self-directed player development, so maybe Niko makes his way to Driveline, remakes his swing, becomes a monster, and then we can flip him next July for some contender’s #17 and #29 prospects.

We agree.  

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Which means there were forty-nine games we had to rely on worse alternatives than Niko, during which our record was 12-37, which also is not real good.

What the H was Gordon Beckham doing on this team? Maybe Miggy was on to something...

Howie Kendrick!!

Quietly, we march forward toward a possible Max vs Ver World Series.

And tonight we get the battle of the former Pirates in Houston. Pretty, pretty good post season...

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Goodrum would've been a great bench piece for those playoff teams we had. 

Niko & Kelly on the same bench?  O.  M.  G.  The last epic duo like that was Crockett & Tubbs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Howie Kendrick!!

Quietly, we march forward toward a possible Max vs Ver World Series.

And tonight we get the battle of the former Pirates in Houston. Pretty, pretty good post season...

I thought this was the season that the Dodgers finally won.  I feel badly for Kershaw.  I didn't see it, but it looks like he threw all of 6 pitches, enough to make him a goat for the game/series?

We were discussing Verlander's postseason efforts before.  Kershaw's 1.105 WHIP over 158 IP doesn't jive with the 4.43 ERA.  But his playoff HR9 is 1.4 vs a regular season 0.7.  Is he just worn down by season's end?

I always enjoy seeing the Dodgers lose. The bigger the stage the better. I could probably be a Kershaw fan if he weren’t in L.A. His post season reputation took another hit last night.

Last year’s WS was a non starter for me as I dislike the Dodgers and Red Sox, a lot.

I can assure the sports world, there is much joy in SF this morning. 

I picked two upsets in the LDS, Dodgers and Yanks losing... one out of two aint bad.  But I also had the Braves winning it all so.....

I think I'll root for the Ray's... anything to **** off the networks who were dreaming of LA/NY.  

On 10/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Nor should he forget a onetime G-2 adopt-a-Tiger.

You had to take Adames because I had already taken Leyba.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I think I'll root for the Ray's... anything to **** off the networks who were dreaming of LA/NY.  

?

Started reading Jim Hawkin’s biography of Al Kaline last night. Five chapters in it looks like a good book.

Anyone previously read this one? Opinions?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I picked two upsets in the LDS, Dodgers and Yanks losing... one out of two aint bad.  But I also had the Braves winning it all so.....

I'm definitely rooting for the Rays because a friend of mine is moving to Tampa October 19, and if the Rays make the Series I am definitely going down for at least one game.

• Like 1

BBDCF537-D56C-41C3-8FD6-12E1EEFFA880.jpeg.c4ebcf17d0fb527c5787e9c04bce0428.jpeg

Six years ago today I confidently posted this photo on this site looking forward to our advance to the World Series. Right now I’m basically glad that the cord to my hairdryer doesn’t stretch as far as the bathtub.

45 minutes ago, leflore said:

Would love to see a Rays Nats series

The Nats making the Series would give me a clear rooting interest because I will never root for the Nats.

If it's a Yankees-Nats series, I may just wish for the world to end.

26 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

BBDCF537-D56C-41C3-8FD6-12E1EEFFA880.jpeg.c4ebcf17d0fb527c5787e9c04bce0428.jpeg

Six years ago today I confidently posted this photo on this site looking forward to our advance to the World Series. Right now I’m basically glad that the cord to my hairdryer doesn’t stretch as far as the bathtub.

******* Torii Hunter.... 

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

I thought this was the season that the Dodgers finally won.  I feel badly for Kershaw.  I didn't see it, but it looks like he threw all of 6 pitches, enough to make him a goat for the game/series?

We were discussing Verlander's postseason efforts before.  Kershaw's 1.105 WHIP over 158 IP doesn't jive with the 4.43 ERA.  But his playoff HR9 is 1.4 vs a regular season 0.7.  Is he just worn down by season's end?

While the postseason  generally involves teams with good pitchers, it also generally involves teams with good hitters.  While some guys do especially well in their small-sample postseason appearances, when the best face the best, some of them aren't going to fare as well as they usually do.  Plus, although Kershaw is still good, he is a ways past his peak.

SIAP...MLB Trade rumors arb projections:

Tigers (9)

• Blaine Hardy – $1.8MM
  • Daniel Norris – $2.9MM
  • Michael Fulmer – $2.8MM
  • Matthew Boyd – $6.4MM
  • Buck Farmer – $1.1MM
  • Drew VerHagen – $900K
  • Daniel Stumpf – $800K
  • John Hicks – $1.7MM
  • JaCoby Jones – $1.4MM

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/mlb-arbitration-salaries-2020.html

John Hicks is not worth more than Jacoby Jones in this or any other universe.  The system is broken...

10 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

John Hicks is not worth more than Jacoby Jones in this or any other universe.  The system is broken...

He won't be tendered.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Rays because a friend of mine is moving to Tampa October 19, and if the Rays make the Series I am definitely going down for at least one game.

You'll probably be able to walk up the day of the game and buy tickets ?

My memory tells me that Benoit threw a good pitch too... 

I remember being mad that Leyland wasn't using Porcello in relief...