IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Nobody hits in the Eastern League.

Does this mean our pitcher prospects there are over-hyped?

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Their pitching isn't up to snuff.

They for some reason saved "Eggs" Oberizzi for game three. Weird.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, Buddha said:

ummm....ok.  none of that retracts from what i said before.  

he was inconsistent in the playoffs with detroit.  the idea that he was an unstoppable juggernaut with detroit like he is with houston is incorrect.

Verlander has been inconsistent in the playoffs for Houston this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lynn will never forget Willy 

Nor should he forget a onetime G-2 adopt-a-Tiger.

So, If the idea is to shorten the time to return to relevancy of Tigers baseball, what are the pieces to build on and what is a reasonable plan to get there?

My biggest frustration is what I don't see much of a long term plan with Tigers.

What a game for the Rays tonight. Some observations:

• Cole goes for the 'stros on Thurs. They will be heavily favored. But the Rays will have Glasnow who can be lights out. Should be a great game. (America will watch the Patriots Thursday unfortunately.)
  • Two game 5's tomorrow as well in the senior circuit. This is developing into a terrific post season
  • Where do these Rays playoff fans come from? Where are they during the year? (same for the A's)
  • Tampa has lost their GM and Mgr over the years yet they continue to produce. We are told they have more young pitching on the way. They never seem to lose a trade. Who is the brains behind this operation? Is it owner driven?  Billy Beane's had his movie. How 'bout one about the Rays mgmt?
  • Could you imagine this team in Montreal with rivalries with Toronto and Boston?

19 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

What a game for the Rays tonight. Some observations:

• Cole goes for the 'stros on Thurs. They will be heavily favored. But the Rays will have Glasnow who can be lights out. Should be a great game. (America will watch the Patriots Thursday unfortunately.)
  • Two game 5's tomorrow as well in the senior circuit. This is developing into a terrific post season
  • Where do these Rays playoff fans come from? Where are they during the year? (same for the A's)
  • Tampa has lost their GM and Mgr over the years yet they continue to produce. We are told they have more young pitching on the way. They never seem to lose a trade. Who is the brains behind this operation? Is it owner driven?  Billy Beane's had his movie. How 'bout one about the Rays mgmt?
  • Could you imagine this team in Montreal with rivalries with Toronto and Boston?

yes, do it!

If the Tigers were serious about finding under-the-radar ways to put a few more wins on the field next year, they might consider looking towards Asian leagues like the KBO, from which Eric Thames was unearthed.

11 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

My biggest frustration is what I don't see much of a long term plan with Tigers.

Wait for the pitchers and Parades to enter the show. Get a near ready bat in the draft (or another pitcher if one separates himself from the pack). Maybe consider flipping a pitching prospect for a nice young bat. Spend on FA bats. Plural. Wait for some of the really young, potentially solid position prospects. If Illitch doesn't spend, given that prospects are rarely a sure thing, there is no guarantee the rebuild will work. I wish the Illitch family would sell. And I wish it wasn't projected to snow here this weekend

3 hours ago, leflore said:

Wait for the pitchers and Parades to enter the show. Get a near ready bat in the draft (or another pitcher if one separates himself from the pack). Maybe consider flipping a pitching prospect for a nice young bat. Spend on FA bats. Plural. Wait for some of the really young, potentially solid position prospects. If Illitch doesn't spend, given that prospects are rarely a sure thing, there is no guarantee the rebuild will work. I wish the Illitch family would sell. And I wish it wasn't projected to snow here this weekend

this is the plan to respectability.  unfortunately, we're lacking the internal resources (players) or front office innovation to turn this into a playoff contender.

46 minutes ago, leflore said:

Sadly Niko might be Detroit's best position player

It is sad because he’s not real good. If you take Baseball Reference at its suggestion that 2.0 WAR equals an everyday starter, he’s falling short of even that at 1.6.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

It is sad because he’s not real good. If you take Baseball Reference at its suggestion that 2.0 WAR equals an everyday starter, he’s falling short of even that at 1.6.

In 112 games.

Goodrum has been solid for two years.  I think he is a legit major leaguer.  Legit major leaguer...yeah the bar is low.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Goodrum has been solid for two years.  I think he is a legit major leaguer.  Legit major leaguer...yeah the bar is low.  

He has been solid, and he is a legit major leaguer, but he’s not real good. He has value, but he’s not real good. A real good major leaguer contends for All-Star games. Niko hasn’t done that, and with his age 28 season coming up, odds are against him.

That said, this is the age of self-directed player development, so maybe Niko makes his way to Driveline, remakes his swing, becomes a monster, and then we can flip him next July for some contender’s #17 and #29 prospects.

36 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

In 112 games.

Which means there were forty-nine games we had to rely on worse alternatives than Niko, during which our record was 12-37, which also is not real good.