IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

A 60 game season and expanded playoffs is a huge win for the Tigers.   If this were a normal year, they would’ve had no chance of being in a playoff race in September.  This new model makes it very likely they will be in the race for a playoff spot the last month and have an outside shot of actually getting in.  

Are you joking?  It’s not clear

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If it does indeed end up being 60 games do we try to catch lightning in a bottle and call up Mize, Manning, Skubal and perhaps even Tork?   

I think they should.  I don't think there is going to be a minor league season, so they might as well let those guys play in the majors and work them the same way they would under ordinary circumstances.  

22 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they should.  I don't think there is going to be a minor league season, so they might as well let those guys play in the majors and work them the same way they would under ordinary circumstances.  

There's will be some kind of pseudo minor leagues. All those players have to play.

7 minutes ago, Longgone said:

There's will be some kind of pseudo minor leagues. All those players have to play.

Agreed. At one point, I heard there was going to be a quite large (30) taxi squad. All these other players will age a year but not get any experience. Bring a few up and let them play.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Agreed. At one point, I heard there was going to be a quite large (30) taxi squad. All these other players will age a year but not get any experience. Bring a few up and let them play.

All of the minor leaguers will play somewhere. Probably set up complex leagues similar to extended spring training.

14 minutes ago, Longgone said:

There was some question as to whether there would be an MLB season.  I assume there would be a similar question regarding the minor leagues.  I read that there will be an expanded AFL season, but I doubt that would be enough.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Are you joking?  It’s not clear

I was serious.

In hindsight, I shouldn’t have said likely to be in the playoff race.  It will be a tall task for this club even in a short season where .500 ball for a month gets you in the race.    

"Spring" training in Florida and Arizona would be pointless. Just practice at their home park. I think Florida may be getting hit pretty hard with the virus.

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

"Spring" training in Florida and Arizona would be pointless. Just practice at their home park. I think Florida may be getting hit pretty hard with the virus.

It will have to be more than practice, there will be 150 players or so and they will probably coordinate with other teams. They will need to simulate games and as much of a season as possible. Covid will influence when and where, you are right.

24 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

some of that can be limited by limiting outside contact for a couple weeks. No trips to the bar or golfing. 

No fans in the stands.  How will they shoot beaver?

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

No fans in the stands.  How will they shoot beaver?

95538D41-2067-40A3-8AFD-29F94CBF6AE8.jpeg

I was anti-tank going into this season.  However, that was before this **** show of a 60 game season that I don’t  care about.

Any more than 20 wins will be a disappointment.

#OneMoreTank

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I was anti-tank going into this season.  However, that was before this **** show of a 60 game season that I don’t  care about.

Any more than 20 wins will be a disappointment.

#OneMoreTank

Tanking for this team is playing the everyday lineup and rotation.  

Even if there’s only 60 games, they can still start Zimmermann 25 games, right?

60 game season is garbage.  The champion will be illegitimate.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

60 game season is garbage.  The champion will be illegitimate.

With expanded playoffs, it could very well be anyway.  I can see a .below .500 team winning the World Series.  I don't know if that happens in other sports, but it won't be surprising in baseball.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

With expanded playoffs, it could very well be anyway.  I can see a .below .500 team winning the World Series.  I don't know if that happens in other sports, but it won't be surprising in baseball.  

Any expansion to the playoffs will be permanent too.

2 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Any expansion to the playoffs will be permanent too.

Yes, it will.  

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's a joke of a season.  

Even if you have expanded playoffs in a 162 game season, the champion has some tie to history (although less and less with each expanded playoff entrant).  60 games?  A schmuck team can get hot and make the playoffs and win the whole thing.

It's a farce.

If I'm the Tigers, I say "**** it" and promote all the kids.  Cut the dead weight like Nova and Zimmerman and just play the kids.  Try to catch lightning in the bottle and make the playoffs.  

In 60 games?  Teams might not have enough time to adjust and scout the kids and exploit their weaknesses yet.  

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

If I'm the Tigers, I say "**** it" and promote all the kids.  Cut the dead weight like Nova and Zimmerman and just play the kids.  Try to catch lightning in the bottle and make the playoffs.  

In 60 games?  Teams might not have enough time to adjust and scout the kids and exploit their weaknesses yet.  

Why start their clocks in a meaningless season?   

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I never worry about the clock for pitchers if they are ready.   Most of them get hurt or flame out before they reach free agency anyway.  

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It depends on whether they have any other outlet for competing at a high level. If they don't you can't waste the develop year IMO.