IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

If San Diego were actually interested in Boyd, and we were taking on Myers...

Are we interested in Taylor Trammell or CJ Abrams?

I dont really care about Myers one way or another, but I would like to see one positional player on the Tigers in 2020 who isnt a steaming pile of crap veteran or borderline AAAA prospect.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

A good utility player like Ron Rod.

Dnnnnnyyyeeeaahh I guess, if you squint hard enough.

41 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If San Diego were actually interested in Boyd, and we were taking on Myers...

Are we interested in Taylor Trammell or CJ Abrams?

Both

On 10/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, Casimir said:

Cameron was pretty disappointing in Toledo last season, but he's still only 23 years old.

Was Gibson ever a real prospect?

Meadows is only 19 and has all of 504 professional PAs.

Clemens has only 2 professional seasons.  He's struggled against older competition and done well against younger competition.

Of the 4, I'd agree that Gibson will have no impact.  The others have time to develop still.  If by impact you mean perennial all star, I get its tough to see that at this point in time.  If they can be league average, that'd be fine and the Tigers are going to need those types of players on the roster.

For an outfielder, I call impactful any player who is slightly above average defensively that hits roughly .265 with an ops of  .790 to .800. with roughly 18 hrs. That won't get one to the Hall of fame, but it is probably enough to keep one in the show for 4 to 5 years. None of the current Erie outfielders will ever even sniff that in the Majors.

8 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I dont really care about Myers one way or another, but I would like to see one positional player on the Tigers in 2020 who isnt a steaming pile of crap veteran or borderline AAAA prospect.

Future Hall of Famer Miguel Cabrera ain't enough for you?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

None of the current Erie outfielders will ever even sniff that in the Majors.

Nobody hits in the Eastern League. Azocar and Paredes were actually the #2 and #3 hitters league wide by average at at 287 and 282 and the league batting crown was won at 297 (and a 736 OPS). Among the league leaders there was only one hitter with an OPS over 850. I find it hard to believe no team has an AA player in that league destined to be a competent major league hitter so we might have to rescale what we take for hitting success in that league a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Nobody hits in the Eastern League. Azocar and Paredes were actually the #2 and #3 hitters league wide by average at at 287 and 282 and the league batting crown was won at 297 (and a 736 OPS). Among the league leaders there was only one hitter with an OPS over 850. I find it hard to believe no team has an AA player in that league destined to be a competent major league hitter so we might have to rescale what we take for hitting success in that league a bit.

that seems odd that there wasn't a single .300 hitter last year.  Thought Erie was considered a good hitters park, especially for power?  Paredes will hit in the bigs.  Azocar's profile is starting to look like Victor Reyes, with more K's and better D.  I'm not confident about him having any impact in the majors. Also losing faith in Derek Hill.  If only those guys had been coached to have better pitch selection when they were younger.  Never understand why guys with speed don't put more energy into working on how to get on base.

Just scrolling back a few seasons and eyeballing the hitting in the Eastern League, it looks like 2019 slumped from around a normal .250-.260 AVG / over .700 OPS environment to a .238 AVG / .677 "pitcher's paradise".  Maybe 2019 was just a blip?  Maybe the unseasonably cooler & wetter spring and early summer had something to do with it?

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

that seems odd that there wasn't a single .300 hitter last year.  Thought Erie was considered a good hitters park, especially for power?  Paredes will hit in the bigs.  Azocar's profile is starting to look like Victor Reyes, with more K's and better D.  I'm not confident about him having any impact in the majors. Also losing faith in Derek Hill.  If only those guys had been coached to have better pitch selection when they were younger.  Never understand why guys with speed don't put more energy into working on how to get on base.

A few years ago, Erie was considered a good park for power.  I am not sure if something has changed.  

28 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Just scrolling back a few seasons and eyeballing the hitting in the Eastern League, it looks like 2019 slumped from around a normal .250-.260 AVG / over .700 OPS environment to a .238 AVG / .677 "pitcher's paradise".  Maybe 2019 was just a blip?  Maybe the unseasonably cooler & wetter spring and early summer had something to do with it?

simple explanations really. The Seawolves hitters are bad and the rest of the league was depressed having to hit against Erie pitching. Case closed.    ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Almost nothing more than this has to be said for the rest of the off-season. This is a 640-foot homer from an aerodynamically perfect ball hit by Mark McGwire. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Unrelated, but the Twins were swept, so there positives in this world.

Minnesota has now lost 16 straight playoff games (13 of them to the Yankees). Ugly.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Playing the right way

Their pitching isn't up to snuff.

5 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Their pitching isn't up to snuff.

The Detroit Tiger organization has an abundance of arms available ..just waiting for the right trade.

Besides the Royals and Tigers has any AL Central team won a playoff series in the past 10 years?  I know Cleveland played Boston in the ALCS in 07 but I can't think of anything else since then.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Besides the Royals and Tigers has any AL Central team won a playoff series in the past 10 years?  I know Cleveland played Boston in the ALCS in 07 but I can't think of anything else since then.  

Did you forget already?  Indians went to the World Series in 2016

5 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Did you forget already?  Indians went to the World Series in 2016

lol duh!  I guess I just blocked that out cause I hate the cubs so much. 

As a matter of fact .. over the past 10 years (2009-2018) ..the AL Central has had more World Series appearances (4) than either the AL East (3) or the AL West (3).

Maybe the Tigers will add to that next year!  (jk)