IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I question the validity of treating "cases" as the be all end all when looking at the numbers.  we've ramped up testing here...have the other countries in the graph done so as well?

They test far more, which is one of the factors in better results.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Define far more and better  :)

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

OT - but I would note it is not the raw number of tests, it's whether you are ahead or behind the prevalence curve with your testing. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd guess the far greater factor is a general feeling of entitlement and complacency, but I haven't lived in those other nations to really have a sense of how their citizenry feel about following health guidelines.

The various factors may be connected.  Basically, I think out culture - the good and the bad - makes it difficult for us to shutdown.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The various factors may be connected.  Basically, I think out culture - the good and the bad - makes it difficult for us to shutdown.  

I really don't think America as a culture is no longer capable of pulling together. I think what is much more the case is that America as a culture has lost the ability to determine and validate what facts are.

My perspective on this disease is badly skewed.  I was one of them essential employees (never thought I'd be given travel papers to move about in America), so I didn't stay home.  I was out and about nearly every day and lived my life pretty much the way I am now.  My wife and daughter were home every day...my wife can handle her clients remotely..and they had a vastly different perspective.  They seem a little more fearful about the disease than I am.  I don't know...maybe they were being smart and I was being delusional.  Alls I really know is that they told me if I went outside the Covid Krampus would hunt me down and punish me.  it didn't happen...So I know longer fear him

• Confused 2

I've been going to work in a pirate suit ever since the pandemic hit.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I think we can't do it here.  Our ancestors left those places, in part, because they were restless, adventurous people.  It's in our blood. I am actually surprised we were able to shut down as much as we did.  

were also much bigger geographically, so it has taken time for the ny strain of the virus to get across the country.

we also have very low trust in government, so people will do what they want even if - and sometimes ESPECIALLY IF - government tells them what to do.

and were a nation of morons governed by a reality tv show host.  thats probably the most important thing.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

were also much bigger geographically, so it has taken time for the ny strain of the virus to get across the country.

we also have very low trust in government, so people will do what they want even if - and sometimes ESPECIALLY IF - government tells them what to do.

and were a nation of morons governed by a reality tv show host.  thats probably the most important thing.

I didn't want to say those things in the baseball forum!

29 minutes ago, leflore said:

This is the correct answer.

40 minutes ago, leflore said:

Where were you with this brilliant idea in March?

We're a nation of recalcitrant 12 year-olds with huge authority issues.  Of course we aren't gonna stay home

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Boras might need to loosen the face shield.  It seems to be restricting oxygen flow to the brain.

54 minutes ago, leflore said:

I don't believe you.  Which shoulder does the parrot sit on?

heyman reporting that a deal is close...

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It's a Nash equilibrium situation they simply haven't hit on yet.

✔️

17 hours ago, Shelton said:

Not everything is a gambit. 

The players saw through the transparency of the move, they rejected it, the owners did not sufficiently defend the efficacy of the move afterwards, and now it stands as a data point in the case against the owners. It was a risky action calculated to gain an advantage by dividing the union, and it failed.

If it does indeed end up being 60 games do we try to catch lightning in a bottle and call up Mize, Manning, Skubal and perhaps even Tork?   

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The players saw through the transparency of the move, they rejected it, the owners did not sufficiently defend the efficacy of the move afterwards, and now it stands as a data point in the case against the owners. It was a risky action calculated to gain an advantage by dividing the union, and it failed.

If you say so. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

its bargaining.  like the players asking for 100% salaries and as many games as they can possibly fit into the schedule even though they knew the owners werent going to take it.

If news reporting is any indication, looks as though the owners moved toward 60 games at pro rata.

A 60 game season and expanded playoffs is a huge win for the Tigers.   If this were a normal year, they would’ve had no chance of being in a playoff race in September.  This new model makes it very likely they will be in the race for a playoff spot the last month and have an outside shot of actually getting in.  

48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

A 60 game season and expanded playoffs is a huge win for the Tigers.   If this were a normal year, they would’ve had no chance of being in a playoff race in September.  This new model makes it very likely they will be in the race for a playoff spot the last month and have an outside shot of actually getting in.  

Still no chance. Chance for #1 pick is still alive. Go Tigers! #tankforkumar

60 games 16 teams in playoffs.  Every team has a chance.  It's a joke, but they still have to go for it.