IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

This goes back to my contention all along that Nick should have been approached at the beginning of spring training, perhaps by Kaline, that first base might be a good option toward staying with the Tigers. I have no doubt Nick would have embraced the chance. Nick wanted to be a Tiger. The FO f****d this one up royally. I will never see this differently. Avila is a moron.

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I think it is $20M per, thru 2022, with a $1M buyout for 2023. There is also outstanding signing bonus $ but SD should pick that up.

Considering Nick's ceiling at probably 3/30, Myers at 3/61 is really really bad. SD cannot take a 4th big contract, so needs to move Myers badly. But Chris I would never approve this type of bad contract trade.

I like the idea of taking a bad contract to get prospects in return, but Myers has never really put up a season worthy of the contract he received.  Hard pass.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, chasfh said:

I’m sorry, but I reject this line of thinking. What does it say about the competence of an organization that they feel they must drive their big league club to the historical depths of decrepitude on a frequent basis in order to get a #1 pick that even they can’t blow? What kind of sad sack loser mentality is that to root for?

Understood; I just don't value winning a few more games next year unless it's on the strength of long term pieces. I suppose if I thought the Tigers could successfully draft and develop later picks, and position players in general, I might feel differently.  Not rooting for a tank explicitly, just rooting for more long term talent. I don't have faith in the current regime, so I guess I'm rooting for them to win a few lotteries (i.e. luck into it with high picks).

1 hour ago, gzbach said:

Was going to start a new thread:  "Reasons to have hope for next season", then I realized it would have no posts.

We are going to get Wil Myers to be the middle of the order stud.  

10 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Being a Tigers fan these days = joy

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

9 hours ago, gzbach said:

Was going to start a new thread:  "Reasons to have hope for next season", then I realized it would have no posts.

Prolly garner some cat pics, though.

8 hours ago, 1776 said:

This goes back to my contention all along that Nick should have been approached at the beginning of spring training, perhaps by Kaline, that first base might be a good option toward staying with the Tigers. I have no doubt Nick would have embraced the chance. Nick wanted to be a Tiger. The FO f****d this one up royally. I will never see this differently. Avila is a moron.

Wasn't Kaline pretty upfront about not liking 1B when he tried to transition there?  So, I guess I'm not sure how he would be selling that successfully to Castellanos.

I dont see any problem with taking on Myers and his contract and a good prospect, but who the heck do we have that they could want?

Myers is 28...had two pretty good hitting seasons...he is injury prone...he's a roll of the dice to garner decent production in a barren lineup, and a prospect would be the kicker...still cant imagine who we would trade that would make sense for SD.

If he hits like he did in 2016 and 2017, he would still be an overpay, but in this lineup you need someone who can do something at some point.

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Kind of an interesting point made in mlbtr chat that the Tigers should take on a salary like Wil Myers, as long as the Padres give some quality prospects in this deal. He'd also fit a need at 1st base.

10 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I think it is $20M per, thru 2022, with a $1M buyout for 2023. There is also outstanding signing bonus $ but SD should pick that up.

Considering Nick's ceiling at probably 3/30, Myers at 3/61 is really really bad. SD cannot take a 4th big contract, so needs to move Myers badly. But Chris I would never approve this type of bad contract trade.

I also thought about this... If SD really wants to move him they would have to pick up a good portion of the salary it seems, maybe 1/2?... He would have to fit in with whichever team and the Tigs could use someone who can play 1B/corner OF. If SD does not get an offer they like maybe something like this; a package of a 'good' prospect with WMyers and they pay a good portion and we give up 'mid-level' talent (2-3 players?)... just thinking aloud, but he might help if he stayed healthy, he has always been a good athlete with 'hitting ability' AND we would need to get a pretty decent prospect back also - which SD has quite a few.

57 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Wasn't Kaline pretty upfront about not liking 1B when he tried to transition there?  So, I guess I'm not sure how he would be selling that successfully to Castellanos.

Kaline spent a good bit of time with Nick working with him when he transitioned to RF. I am going on the assumption he had a good working relationship with Nick. Nick knows his liabilities in RF. I am convinced if the Tigers, through Kaline, proposed a move to first before ST last year Nick would have been open to it. By the time Gardy discussed it with Nick things were already beyond a proactive opportunity. I will always believe Nick had the tools to be a decent first baseman. I also feel his offense may have improved once removed from the OF.

All of this would be a moot point if in fact Detroit decided 12 months ago they weren’t interested in Nick being a part of the process. Where that stood, I have no idea.

I’m a Wil Myers fan. Hey, got a couple of Myers’ bobbleheads when he was a Durham Bull, not to mention he is a NC native. That said, I wouldn’t take a chance on him. Cannot believe, now or when it happened, what SD gave this guy $$$.  Made no sense at the time.

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I dont see any problem with taking on Myers and his contract and a good prospect, but who the heck do we have that they could want?

Myers is 28...had two pretty good hitting seasons...he is injury prone...he's a roll of the dice to garner decent production in a barren lineup, and a prospect would be the kicker...still cant imagine who we would trade that would make sense for SD.

it does not matter. Give them Soto; or Nick Ramirez; or anyone.

With Machado and Hosmer and Myers, the Padres have $75M tied up in 3 players. They need to move Myers - they have better cheaper players than him, and they need his contract moved to address other areas. He has negative value, especially for SD.

But again cannot see Chris I  agreeing to add that much salary.

14 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Maybe Al Avila can swing a deal to trade Miggy plus send $35m per year to the other team.

You laugh, although in all seriousness, Miggy could never get traded because he can't help any contenders. He's good for playing only on losers now.

11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I tossed out that idea last week with the Rockies relievers. 

KL2 Forward thinker

Edit to add: The problem with Myer is he has four more years starting next year. That's an awful lot of money to pay and time to waste for a good propsect or two. 

You got some forward thinkers chiming in on MLBTR chat to agree with your idea? Pretty cool, bro. ?

10 hours ago, Los Gatos said:

Understood; I just don't value winning a few more games next year unless it's on the strength of long term pieces. I suppose if I thought the Tigers could successfully draft and develop later picks, and position players in general, I might feel differently.  Not rooting for a tank explicitly, just rooting for more long term talent. I don't have faith in the current regime, so I guess I'm rooting for them to win a few lotteries (i.e. luck into it with high picks).

This regime believes the main path to acquiring long term talent is to become historically bad on a frequent basis. But, OK, we can agree to disagree.

Me, I'm rooting for a sale and the attendant front office turnover. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I also thought about this... If SD really wants to move him they would have to pick up a good portion of the salary it seems, maybe 1/2?... He would have to fit in with whichever team and the Tigs could use someone who can play 1B/corner OF. If SD does not get an offer they like maybe something like this; a package of a 'good' prospect with WMyers and they pay a good portion and we give up 'mid-level' talent (2-3 players?)... just thinking aloud, but he might help if he stayed healthy, he has always been a good athlete with 'hitting ability' AND we would need to get a pretty decent prospect back also - which SD has quite a few.

The irony here is that 1B and corner are comparative strengths.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

it does not matter. Give them Soto; or Nick Ramirez; or anyone.

OK, then how about Boyd or Norris? They might go for that.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Me, I'm rooting for a sale and the attendant front office turnover. 

What season is Avila signed through?  I know it was undisclosed when the extension was announced.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The irony here is that 1B and corner are comparative strengths.

Your sarcasm is strong today.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Your sarcasm is strong today.

Remember, we're talking comparative strength here.

2019-10-07_8-52-03.thumb.jpg.ecb7cce929577292a3db6fe68ecfeafb.jpg

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

What season is Avila signed through?  I know it was undisclosed when the extension was announced.

We'll probably never know. Ilitches are very secretive about things like front office contracts, broadcast deals, and basically everything else they can manage to be.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Remember, we're talking comparative strength here.

2019-10-07_8-52-03.thumb.jpg.ecb7cce929577292a3db6fe68ecfeafb.jpg

You can be honest and call them weaknesses when the numbers have a negative sign in front of them.  No need to sugar coat how awful things are.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

You can be honest and call them weaknesses when the numbers have a negative sign in front of them.  No need to sugar coat how awful things are.

Oh, no doubt. Aside from starting pitching, they're objectively weak everywhere. At the same time, they're comparatively weaker up the middle than elsewhere.